Do you judge a book by it's cover? Or anything else for that matter?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I think i really do. Not just books but everything else like movies, products and whatnot... maybe even people. Maybe that's why i spent more than a should for clothing? I mean seriously, why pay so much more to have someone's name on your clothes. I do because it makes me feel better... Vain totally vain... I mean a polo shirt is ugly unless it has the Polo logo or american eagle logo or Lacoste.... What's wrong with me. Hell, even buying boxers. It has to have nametags. Boxers! It's not like people will see them.
    Is this the result of massive publicity brain washing? Thinking oh boy, if i wear that Lacoste it's gonna make me as handsome as the dudes on the magazines and perhaps i'll get with gorgeous woman like he does?
    I grew up wearing Phat Farm, Tommy Hilfigers, Nautica and stuff because my friends would say how cool it is. But Now that i'm older, really it seems stupid.
  2. stubborn

stubborn Guest

No.... I am too stubborn to wear what others want. As an jean addict I have also couple of levis and diesels jeans but not because of brand. I like more of my decorated jeans. I love my diamond jeans, I bought them from sale and I like my flower jeans, I bought them from market place without brand. I love linen, alpaca, kashmir and other nature fibers and I rather buy nature fiber without name than oil-plastic-brand shyt. Name does not make quality. Because of my giant boobs I cannot always keep fashionable clothes, I have to keep clothes which fit for my body figure. I have also made some dresses myself. I love clothes. Well my sporting clothes are brand clothes.

Men clothing... No, no matter... Hair and nature does matter but clothes does not.. I can sew or buy better clothes for man, if he does not be too addicted on his old style... I talk with my imagination man in winter and he said he was bought new winter coat, argh, I saw that, it was really terrible. Black yes, but way too long and just argh for his body figure ... He asked if the coat is terrible cause he was bought it himself and I said for him that I do not care, he looks good even a potato sack. No, I do not appreciate brands of anything, I appreciate quality of fibers and sewing and style and personality of dressing.
  3. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I dont wear stuff for the labels, I wear stuff I feel comfortable in; usually jeans and a top of some description.
  4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Well hold on Boo it's not about whether you wear expensive brand names; it's about appearance in general that your clothing can show. When you're dressed nicely, yes it does show that you take care of yourself and care about your appearance. You will never get a job coming to the interview in your pajamas. It's not about brands so much, it's about style.

Would you go out on a romantic evening wearing a red and black lumberjack and flip flops, and sweat pants? NO!

That's what people are judging: what you wear, not who you wear. People who obsess over name tags have no idea what fashion is about.
  5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

You got me there... :lol!: I'm a horrible dresser.
  6. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Same here.
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Brand names never bothered me. When it comes to shoes, as an example they have to be practical, because I walk a lot.

I've been more often than not, telling myself to "dress the way I feel" and it's great fun- when I'm feeling good and happy, everyone seems to know!

But of course, there are first impressions of someone- and what you see isn't all to do with fashion, brand names or style. There is confidence, emotions, health. I can tell if someone is feeling stressed, worried, tired regardless of what they are wearing, and if they are dressing up to compensate or cover up, their distress.
  8. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

I judge people by what they wear all the time. Usually my judgments are correct, so abandoning them is not an option.
  9. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I only wear branded stuff but the brand name is rarely to be seen, no matter what handbag or dress I choose... But I have a leather Prada bag on which the logo "Prada" is prominent, but I'm only using it for special occasions. The (not so large) logo is irritating me actually, I bought the bag for the style... and the brand yes, I'm kind of a collector of fashion stuff, but I didn't buy it for the logotype in itself. So I'm kind of the opposite to you in a way, Boo! Lol

It is what someone wears, not "who", that people will notice... Cases when person is covered by brand names exceptional- that really looks strange- and it will give a bad impression rather than a good one. Having label all over looks sad in my opinion...

And as somone who spends a lot of time in Milan, I should let you all know a funny detail: the most expensive branded stuff usually have no flashy labels. The cheapest goods by Gucci for instance are covered by this GG logotype, while their most expensive crocodile bags have no label at all. Sort of a paradox, huh?
  10. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

LM wants to help Boo....!! :smile: Skip this logo thing, it's overrated and one of the main causes of counterfeiting, today not everyone will see if you have the real thing or not anyway... A first step to become a less horrible dresser could be as simple as going downtown looking at other people, how they dress.
  11. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well... taken literally-- I don't read books at all, so there's really nothing for me to judge about them because I'm just not interested. XD

I feel like you can tell quite a bit about how a person looks and how they carry themselves; but it's not always right- and you can't really tell if they are a good person or a bad one; just... what type of occupation they have; are they happy?/that kind of thing. There are always layers and layers underneath that most people will never see.

I've gotten as far as I have in my career with that fact in mind; that books *are* judged by their covers most of the time.
    I'd like to think that I don't judge people much at all though. Everyone deserves a chance.
  12. caz

caz Guest

From my experience, those who always insist on dressing expensively (unless it's required for work) tend to be less confident about themselves. Those who are comfortable in almost any attire are often more friendly and sociable. There are exceptions, but I've found this to be true most of the time. There are some clues about personality expressed in clothing, but I don't dwell on the exterior much--I pay much more attention to how people act and what they say.
  13. deadend

deadend Active Member

I do judge books by their covers. The covers are there to convey what is inbetween. If there are couples on the cover doing romantic things, I know the book will probably be a romance novel. Or if there's a pop illustration, it's probably on a topic that is trendy. A real photo usually indicates a non-fictitious topic. The thing you can't always tell by the cover though, is how good the book will be, or how well it is written. But as a rule of thumb, it's usually the books with unassuming covers that have the best stories inside.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.