Do you keep a journal? Does it help?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Mortal Moon, Jan 5, 2010.

?

How does journaling help you?

1. It helps me deal with my problems and feel more like living.

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. It helps me prepare for my death.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. It doesn't help at all and/or I don't keep a journal.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I've started keeping an informal journal lately, which basically amounts to grabbing a sheet of paper and writing down whatever's on my mind, just before bed. Nothing too strict or organized, just a bit of self-counseling.

These days, I'm very troubled. My mind is a maze of uncertainty and overwhelming emotions. Writing stuff down that's for my eyes only has proven very helpful in navigating and understanding some of this complexity. I strongly believe that I have only a few weeks, perhaps months, to live; being at peace with my own mind is one of the final hurdles I want (need?) to overcome before I die.

Do any of you cope with your situation by writing just for yourself (not for anyone else to read)? Does it help you become less suicidal, or does it rather help mentally prepare you to die?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  2. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I had a year of death once, in a year, my best friend, granparents, dog and alot of others in my life, died. I started a diary, writting to my best friend. I think it helped. It didnt hurt anywa.

3. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Wow how I ironic as I was just asking a friend what they thought of me starting a diary here on SF....I have always done as you have 4th and it is really dark stuff. It has helped get the thoughts out of my head which when I am upset my thoughts are running a zillion mph so it helps slow it down. I did crisis training and it is one of the recommend ways to help get someone grounded again...slows the thinking down like talking to someone.
    It has been a good thing and a sad thing to go back and look at what I wrote before....it has stirred compassion for myself to see the pain I was in and it has also allowed me to see the progress I have made so I recommend it...
    don't know if my reply helped I am in rambling mode with lots of thoughts running through my head so sorry if I didn't make much sense...

4. dreaminghome

dreaminghome Well-Known Member

I have a diary here, it helps because it's a 'listening ear'. Whatever I have to say, may not even be a problem, just words, I can write them, otherwise there may be nobody to tell. It helps somehow.

5. blah blah

blah blah Guest

I keep love diary. It keeps me believing things which are not really exist. It is like a drug for me. That is only what life gives me so I take it.

6. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm the only one who's picked poll option #2 so far. Looks like I'm the freak.

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I would vote one and two, depending on how I'm feeling.
    It can definitely help to sort things out at least.

8. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

The journal gives voice to the pain and different pieces of who I am...

The journal is there when no one else can be - in the middle of the night if I awaken with a flashback....

The journal helps me communicate with my therapist - to say the things I would not otherwise be able to say....

9. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I keep a diary here. I didn't answer the poll because the diary does help but doesn't always make me feel like living.

10. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

I don't have a journal at the moment. It's very strange actually, considering that my primary focus is writing. I still tend to get a lot of performance anxiety when writing a monologue/soliloquy of any sort however; I think is mostly due to my damaged self-esteem and what seems to be my eternal struggle and need to prove myself, despite the fact that I know I have some worth. I hate writing anything less then pristine, something that couldn't touch the sublime. It drives me mad looking at it. If I write something that is below my standards of proving myself then I go berserk; I can't accept it.

I know a journal is supposed to be a cathartic stream of conscious, nothing that should be a masterpiece or a polished pieced edited ten times over. And yet I cannot accept this for some reason. I loathe to look down at something I've written on a whim, and see that it sucks, and it's just a load of rambling and childish sounding bullshit. I've tried time and time again to keep a journal but my efforts, due to this backlash or simply laziness, eventually die out. I really want to start again, and this time go through with it. But hey, that truism of "tomorrow is a new start" is tired and worn out for the likes of me, a perpetual procrastinator and a dying puppy looking for approval.

11. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

I mainly got a journal..so I could
    write my letters to god (my way of praying and saying my thanx)
    and to keep myself from exploding my anger
    or saying mean things..or complainig...to other people
    when times get rough. bUt i like to list all the things
    im grateful for..all the things i like about myself and others..
    and just positive re enforcement.

to be honest though im not really sure
    if its actually helping me add meaning to my life.
    in fact its sort of helping me fuel my self hate right now.

12. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I don't keep a real life journal. Chances are mum or someone would stumble upon it in my room and all hell would break loose.

I post my 'crap' in the diary section of this forum. As far as I'm concerned it's a lot safer then writing something in a book.

In a way, yes it does help. One day I'll probly get therapy or something and I won't be able to 'explain' myself or say what my problems are or how I'm feeling. This way I can just copy and paste what I've said on here and give it to the person :). With any hope, they'll understand. Maybe....

13. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I have a few journals... i don't write in them too often though to be honest. I mean they do help a bit somewhat but i don't know maybe it's the fact that i don't like 'talking' about my issues. It's confusing.

14. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I go through journals like no one's buisiness! I find that they help me now that I've learned how to use them properly, when I used to keep one, it's hard to explain but it wasn't quite a journal, it turned into something bigger than that and became something I tried to live through (if that makes any sense) and i became very unhealthily obsessed with it so I got rid of it.

15. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I have two
    One on here one i write in.
    None of the poll options applied though so i didnt vote

16. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

I have a private diary on here that helps a lot. I like keeping a diary on here rather than one in Real where people can snoop around and snatch it.
    Plus I don't waste paper having one on here :biggrin:
    I use to never really keep a diary until I joined here, but it does help a lot because before then I did all my ranting with my friends and they would either get annoyed or gain some new information to turn against me.

17. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

i said 'It helps me prepare for my death.'

i dont hardly write in it much anymore but if i die and people want answers they can look iat it and try to make sense of what im thinking etc about aimee coz i obv. cant keep shouting my mouth off about everyrthing,

18. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I write in my diary here on SF quite often, it's a great way to clear my mind and get out everything I want to say but can't to anyone.

19. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I kept one every day for more than a year, when I was at my worst. It wasn't really a positive experience (actually, it was, but the content and meaning behind it was not)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.