Do you know what you want to do with your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyisburning

I'm a junior in college and thinking about my future consumes approximately 98% of my time. I worry constantly about it, and about making a wrong decision.

With that said, I wanted to ask if anyone here knows for sure what they want to do with you life? Or, if you've already been to college and done all that, did you know at the time? Also, what do/did you want to be?

I'm really struggling with deciding on a major, or even staying in school for that matter... :(

ZombiePringle

Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend
I don't go to college and haven't been. But I do know one thing... I want nothing more than to be a history teacher. I LOVE history. Only problem is I'm already 26 I need to get moving.

aoeu

Well, I'd like to fix my back for one thing. And I'd like to return to university and finish my mechanical engineering degree, and then go to grad school for a master's (because I think I'd be bored for the rest of my life if I didn't try to move beyond the rank and file engineers) and then purchase a fairly cozy condo (with a badass kitchen) near my place of business (commutes suck) and spend about 35 hours a week working (not too much stress) and my free time just relaxing, meditating or reading tech magazines or building little machines or cooking, and cuddling with my cat.

Hmm, I seem to have built up my whole plan around being alone... Well, I can fit people into that vision, I'll have free time and spare money (job pays way more than I'll ever need and I live cheap.)

And then when life gets boring get tragically hit by a bus.

*Cough* Well, I don't really want to live forever, and I much prefer the idea of a sudden death than a long, painful one.

Allie123

Ooh! I spend lots and lots of time thinking and worrying about my future too!

I did my undergrad in chemical engineering (minor in bio) and am working on my master's in biomedical engineering. Before my master's, I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I knew it wasn't chemical engineering! I hated most of those classes, haha.

I absolutely adore biology though. I've taken classes in my masters that have to do with viruses and parasites and immunology, and I've taken an engineering course in drug delivery. So, I think what I would love to do is something with disease, possibly designing/characterizing/safety testing vaccines or therapeutics.

But.. as much as I love theoretical biology and engineering and solving problems, reading/writing papers.. when it comes to actually working in a lab, I suck! My thesis is a disaster at this point. I would have panic attacks every time I tried to go, and would throw up or pass out in the restroom in my lab building. Needless to say, not fun.

I'm not sure I can handle an actual job where I have actual responsibilities lol. But I absolutely adore learning and reading and writing fake research "proposals" for my classes (I haven't done anything real yet! bahaha)

Anyways, that was wordy wow. But since I spend like 99% of my brainpower thinking and worrying about this, I have a lot to say lol.

Are there any majors you are considering? Classes you liked better than others? and/or classes that you seemed to have more of a knack towards than others? You should pick something you love, but honestly, picking something practical is definitely good too. (But I've always erred on the side of practical - my parents basically told me I had to do some kind of engineering so I could get a job, except I could only do biomed engineering if I had first gotten a degree in a more 'traditional' engineering discipline. mehh)

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Pick a major that's going to get you a good-paying job straight out of college. If you're not there for business, engineering, something technical that teaches you an actual SKILL or physical sciences, or if you don't want to go to graduate school afterward, then you're wasting money.

I planned on going to graduate school after college, but now I'm in debt over my head and will not be able to go anytime soon. So I'm transitioning from minimum wage job to minimum wage job, and am living in abject, destitute poverty with a 4-year college education in something I nor anyone else gives a fuck about.

kitanai

well i dream of a more successful future
but depression was so bad by 6 grade i stopped school basically by the time i made it to 8th lol got all f's in 7th and they passed me lol to smart for school lol still cant spell with over 10 yrs of being addicted to the net ive tryed 4or5 times to get my ged last anxitey attack from that sent me home crying sport of choice skateboarding carrer of choice ... doing anything in medical pets ppl w,e job i most likely see myself doing trucking current status ''collecting bed sores'' i seem to have lost my motivation my dual personality tells me to do everything good i dream of well i stay motionless letting life pass me by ''being content '' is my problem

Last edited by a moderator:

plates

My mother told me, your aunt's saying your cousin's are going off to Australia and Scotland doing medicine/getting jobs and I told her you've got a plot on the allotment! She then said, she was saying this because she knew that what I was doing meant a lot more than what my aunt valued, and what she said about myself, would go right over her head. My aunt always asks her "Is S doing anything yet?"

I want to A. survive through my MH problems. B. sleep this year a lot, I need it, it's for my healing I think, this is going to be the hardest thing to do as someone who's very strung up and full of excess energy so much of the time. C. try and get my little patch of earth up and running, and looking very different from the neat beds of veg only stuff being grown. D. continue making things which is going very slowly atm I have to say(cooking took over messing around with words and images for a while, now it's gardening but i think it's all the same y'know?), and usually ends with me in a crisis, because I'm not working/processing regularly outside of food and plants. :unsure:

Little_me

Oh... I used to have my future clear in my mind, I have always believed in ending up as a biologist just like my parents did...
Even though I have a top grade in biology, I'm unsure about the whole thing now as I also have other qualities. But I think it would disappoint my whole family if I became a model instead... "Not a real job"

plates

Oh... I used to have my future clear in my mind, I have always believed in ending up as a biologist just like my parents did...
Even though I have a top grade in biology, I'm unsure about the whole thing now as I also have other qualities. But I think it would disappoint my whole family if I became a model instead... "Not a real job"
So many people model as well as being in education or having a job. And there are all types of modelling- depending on what you're selling. Bear in mind though there are some companies that should be avoided as they are only there to get a fee and to play on people's hopes and insecurities about their looks; my sister got sucked into one of them when she was younger. It's not what I'd want to do personally, but if you wanted to try, why not?

nagisa

Staff Alumni
I'm not sure. What I'm interested in majoring in doesn't seem to leave me with much else besides teaching. Being a History or language teacher would be interesting. If I were to be a teacher, I'd want to teach something I'm passionate about and hopefully be able to pass that to my students. But lets face it... most kids dislike history and languages classes. :laugh: But yea, I'm not sure right now.

denistar

My first major was Computer Science. But then, it turns out that my mind couldn't take all the logic. So I went back to what I knew best: English. I enrolled in a Linguistics and Literature Undergrad Program. I did pretty well in the classes. I figured that I'd become a writer because writing has always been a strength and passion of mine.

Now, I'm not so sure.

I've had 3 jobs. The longest I've stayed is in the current one: 5 months. After this, I'm thinking of giving up writing for a bit.

I'm lost. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00