Do you lie to make your life sound more interesting?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by fromthatshow, Sep 14, 2010.

?

Do you lie to make your life seem more interesting?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Rarely

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I was wondering if anybody else lies to make it sound like their life is more interesting than it is. I don't necessarily lie but I will fabricate the truth. Add details that aren't true. I am a musician and I always make it seem like I spend way more time working on music than I actually do. Part of it is that people don't need to hear every detail of my depressing life, but part of it is essentially lying so people won't lose respect for me. I fabricate details of things that have happened to me too to make it sound interesting. It's gotten me in trouble once or twice. I'm also on social security because of mental illness. And I'm only 21. So I've had to lie about that a few times as well.

Do you guys lie to make your life seem more interesting than it is? I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing. Maybe it is necessary to stretch the truth before you really get to know someone in order to not turn people off right away.

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

No I don't lie because I wouldn't be able to remember what I'd said so would end up giving myself away in the end....:)

3. yous

yous Well-Known Member

Well I lie when people ask, "so how are you?" I say, "I'm fine". I lie about that because I am never fine. In fact sometimes I feel worse, much worse, but I lie that I am.

As for details in my life, I have lied before, but its' not so extreme as to the point I wouldn't be able to prove it/get away with it.

4. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

No, luckily no one ever asks me, I'd tell them the truth though anyways, maybe that's why I never get asked, hate those small talk 'lies".:eek:hmy: No sense in letting people think you have such an interesting life if you don't, maybe you'd be asked to do something with others if they thought you had the free time.:rolleyes:

5. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Can't lie because there is NOTHING in my life and no one to lie too. Boy life sure is great....:robin:

6. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'm not the best 'make it allllll up' kinda person. If someone asks how my day is or what I did I just say "Eh...mmmm..ya know", more of a mumble :laugh:. Then again it's usually said as a "So how was school today?", honestly, what the hell does mum expect to hear when she asks me this? "Oh it was fucking great, we were all happy and having fun!" Bullcrap.

It's the same with the "good morning" I get from my parents when I wake up. For some reason it massively pisses me off and I just end up walking right past them, not saying anything. A grunt at the most.

But on making my life more interesting, no I don't. I wouldn't really know how to do it anyways :tongue:

7. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Nope. Not much point.

8. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

My life is dull

9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Yes, i lie to myself alot to keep me going.

10. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

A lot of people do this and I do it myself.

It's a sort of defensive mechanism.

11. NotThisLife

NotThisLife Well-Known Member

Same here, as a musician I can totally relate. Biggest show I ever did was opening for a well known local band. Most of the people there didn't know who we were, I often leave off that detail. Truthfully, when we got paid for the performence we were told about 300 people showed up, which was about the max capacity for the club we played in. But, hehe, depending on who I'm talking to that room held 500, sometimes 700 or when I'm really feeling ambitious there 1,000 people there!

Some of the other cool stuff I've done was attend a pro-wrestling camp. I often leave off the fact I didn't graduate. I also usually say I had 30-40 matches when in reality it was probably somewhere in the teens. Also, I used to work with big cats, but I often leave off that I rarely came into direct contact with them. Sure I got to pet them and even had a lion "buddy", but I didn't come into contact nearly as often as I let on. I usually just say "yeah I used to work full time with big cats" and let them fill in the blanks however they want

I very rarely outright lie, I just exaggerate on the very legit cool experiences I've had. Not many people can say they have performed live shows playing music they wrote. Not many people can say the have been bodyslammed and been in a WWE-style wrestling ring. And certainly not many people can say they have done all of that AND worked with big cats. I don't know why I don't let that stuff just stand on it's own, I don't have to lie and exaggerate to make that stuff sound cool, but I do anyway. I don't know why

EDIT: Actually, I think I do know why. Due to my sexuality, as many of you are already familiar with, I've had to become an effective liar to keep myself out of harm's way. For one such as me lying is essential in order to live in peace. I guess I have become so used to lying I just do it without meaning or wanting to.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Definitely. Sounds very similar to the fabrications I make.

13. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

I used to lie to make it sound less pathetic actually.
    like saying..oh im still in highschool. im not 20 years old.
    I have a job...its not like ive been unemployed for a whole year..
    i have friends..i just dont go over to them much because they live far away
    :/ im not a vrigin..its not like im a loser whos never even been kisssed before.
    hahah

14. plates

plates Well-Known Member

no, because when i'm in pain, i'm pretty much walking 'round london crying in public, or shouting at others who aren't listening everywhere.

same when i'm feeling good/well, i'm just beaming, and- i love being alive/can't contain it most of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.