• no

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • neither

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonkramer

i have noticed over the years that my voice just plain sucks. it sounds bad when i normally speak and when i hear it recorded i sound like some incoherent retard. people say they can understand me but when i hear that recording all i hear is barely understandable gibberish. it pisses me off so much that i make sure to turn off my tape recorder when i am asked to talk in class.

what makes it worse is that i went through 5 years of speech therapy when i was little and this incoherent crap is that best i could get. my got it sucks being a genetic freak. all the more reason not to reproduce. its difficult having a superiority complex when you are physically and vocally shit.

i suppose what makes it worse of all is that the recorded voice is closer to the real voice that other people hear. i dislike the sound and the vibrations through my skull i receive when i normally talk but the unfiltered voice that everyone else hears is just shit. all the more reason not to talk. and obviously most people cant have a nice voice but at least most people are understand able when they speak, i on the other hand not so much. this could be why most people dont task me all the seriously. "dont listen to him he sounds like a retard! ha ha ha!" makes it even more annoying when a friend of mine will purposely claim he cant understand me when i say something he dosent like.

what do the rest of you think about your recorded voice?

Last edited by a moderator:

peacelovingguy

I've not been recorded for quite a while but know my strengths and weaknesses when communicating in public or recorded.

I have a regional accent but am fairly fluent in the English language.

I just ain't got a lot to say right now and have taken a long break from previous 'work' in which I might record my voice.

I wish I had a deeper voice, not quite Barry White but there-a-bouts!

Nobody seems to like their own voice - I've found that over the years whenever people record their voices. I think 50% will say they sound 'dumb'.

As for sounding like a retard - you actually do need to be either naturally stupid or mentally ill, which is why I don't like the word or term 'retard' - saying you sound dumb is OK but I'm guessing you ain't got a radio voice - like 99.9% of people!!

Really, its nothing to worry about.

Plus if your still in classes - your still young and voices do change a lot.

Maybe you need to talk a bit louder - most people forget to breath when talking in public and to space out the sentences, to project your voice a little.

It's mostly a lack of confidence, and recently I heard about some women who was extremely worried that her public speaking at a church was unintelligible. I don't think I've heard a better speaker!

If you are really worried - you could see your doctor for an assessment. Might be easier recording your voice and asking one of the mods to listen to it on the private forum.

Were I live, many could use speech training as many speak in a dialect that might be taken for Latin even in the UK.

Good luck and don't worry or ruminate over this.

It's like someone worried about the size of their nose. Do you know a nose will actually grow bigger by the day as you peer at it through two mirrors?

Anyhow, tape your voice and convert to MP3 and someone will be able to give an honest answer.

Worse case scenario you get speech therapy which has come a lot. I actually don't think you are a candidate but you'll just think 'you have not heard me'

Good luck and hope more can give you some reassurance.

Ouroboros

SF Supporter
I don't mind mine. Its sounds weird when I hear it because i'm not used to it i guess. I sound quite childlike most the time..

Sorry you feel so bad about yours. From what i know of people's judgements on themselves we normally see things more negatively than others would, or we would about others. If it really does cause you distress perhaps you could get more speech therapy, but if other people say they can understand you and don't keep asking you to repeat urself etc etc I imagine you are not too bad, that friend of yours is just being mean i think, don't listen to him, or perhaps do the same to him and he will realise how annoying it is...

good luck to you :hug:

Stripe

Interesting question. I just read the first paragraph of your post in to my phone and then played it back. If I was to give my voice a rating I would give it a 5/10.

As long as I dont sound happy my voice stays low-ish but if I start being happy my voice seems to rise a bit and it becomes a bit uncomfortable to listen to.

Maybe you could read a chapter of a book or something in to your tape recorder and listen to it played back. At least then while you may not like your voice at least you might get used to hearing it from a recorded perspective and then you wont have to turn your recorder off in classes when you speak.

Avarice

I absolutely hate my voice when I hear it back. It either sounds too high and happy and irritating, or too deep, manly and slightly grumpy.

Sucks about your speech therapy stuff though. Those who take the piss out of you for it aren't worth your words anyway. :smile:

Arthur523

I've never heard my voice playbacked before. In fact, I've never seen myself on video before either. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I was photographed. I've been sort of avoiding seeing myself the way other people see me, and thankfully most people around me have spared me from being able to see myself, too. I don't think I could handle seeing myself, it's best that I live out my remaining years as ignorantly as I can.

jasonkramer

I've never heard my voice playbacked before. In fact, I've never seen myself on video before either. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I was photographed. I've been sort of avoiding seeing myself the way other people see me, and thankfully most people around me have spared me from being able to see myself, too. I don't think I could handle seeing myself, it's best that I live out my remaining years as ignorantly as I can.
how you avoided these things?! you are my hero! pictures are disturbing. blank eyes staring at you eternally until the damned thing is burned. *shivers*

NScot

A truer answer for me would be sometimes. I'm aware that I lose confidence pretty easily and then my speech becomes less clear. And then I don't like my voice. But if I'm confident and clear enough I do like the sound of my recorded voice.

Yes,I dislike my voice.What makes it worse is that I had a wisdom tooth come through at an odd angle,it scrapes the inside of my cheek making me sound like droopy dog.

Also my regional accent is so old world that I felt too self conscious to make videos online.
I think I have lost a friend because of it.
I cry about this sometimes in frustration and regret.

That is the one thing they should teach all children in school,confident dramatic speaking.

Mr Stewart

No. In audio form I can tolerate it. Watching myself speak on video is something I cannot do, at all. I have to stop the tape or leave the room. Which is strange, I think, because I don't really have much problem with self esteem. I don't know maybe it's because I see some of the weird mannerisms I have that I ordinarily like to pretend don't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madam Mim

I voted no because although I don't really have a problem with my voice, I don't like it. But it's funny, because the things I don't like about it are what will make me good at my chosen career (assuming I get that far) in teaching English as a Foreign Language.

When I hear a recording of myself I think I sound really posh and actually quite snobbish. This is because I speak Standard English and don't have an accent or use a dialect, so it means I don't have problems being understood, but I do think that people judge me based on my voice (I've always being described as posh, which is just bizarre because I am so not!).

I'm more embarrassed of the weird facial expressions I make while talking - they make me look like a deranged rabbit on speed.

Mim

Illusion

Nope. I have a loud masculine voice. It doesn't help the fact that I have a strong southern accent so I have the voice of a very southern male.
I would love to have a softer more feminine sounding voice with no southern accent. :/

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
I voted no.. I have a deep voice and wear dentures so I sound like I have a mouth full of rocks.. It really pisses me off when people make fun of me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00