Do you 'need' to stay on medication for life to be 'happy'?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Ima.robot, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Is there hope if one tries a antidepressant that they can feel better one day without any antidepressant? Say to get out of a MAJOR rut in life.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  2. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Yes, many people take it for a short while and then do not need anymore. Many people also have to take it forever, which is also not a big deal - I have numerous medications such as blood pressure medicine and heart meds that I need to take everyday forever, diabetics need take insulin forever - tone of reasons that people take meds forever and is just "normal" to totake them- all with side effects as well as any anti depressants and anti psychotics. My point is , maybe you will take for a few months and never need agan, maybe you will need it forever and neither is a big deal not any different than many meds.

4. Roseannadanna

Roseannadanna Member

You make good points, NY. I just have one issue with the argument, used to de-stigmatize the consumption of psych meds: That doing so is just like taking insulin for diabetes or blood-pressure meds for high blood pressure or cholesterol-reducing meds for high cholesterol. Unlike diabetes, no one can give me a blood test or any other kind of test to prove that I need mood stabilizers and anti-depressants. I hear there may be some sophisticated brain imaging techniques now that can show, scientifically, the presence of brain chemical imbalances, but these tests are not yet available to most average folks. So, essentially I've been told I have to be on meds for life based on self reporting of anecdotes and emotional upset, much of which could be situational rather than chemical; and yes, I'm aware of the mind body connection and understand that stressful and emotional challenges change your brain chemistry. I'm just not convinced that life-long use of meds is necessary for me or others. I respect science and although I carry a healthy dose of skepticism in the way I think about big pharm, I'm not a paranoid nut about it all. I know some of these drugs save lives. But I also know that scientists themselves can't explain how or why many meds work and most studies are of short duration (this is especially true of the newer atypical anti-psychotics that have kicked the gold standard, Lithium, to the curb for the treatment of bipolar).

I struggle with these questions constantly. Bipolar is such a moving target and I've been on so many different cocktails of different meds, and then, bam, I find myself in a short manic spell followed by deep despair. Then a new med is added to the mix or one is prescribed at a lower dose, and so on and so on, ad infinitum. I've asked many docs to titrate me off of everything slowly so I can get reacquainted with what my true baseline mood and mood fluctuations are, and no one will agree to supervise me through such an experiment. I'm not going to lie: sometimes I just wanna flush all my meds down the toilet and self medicate with a couple of beers every night, like everyone else in some sort of psychic distress does! Thanks for listening.