do you say your therapist's name in session

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Oceans, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

and are you on first name basis or is it formal?

or say thank you after each session?
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't use names, either first or formal. I can't remember 'em for a damn.

I always do say thank you, though.
  3. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

We are on first name terms although i don't call her her name (mainly because it's the same name as my mum's!). We are informal.

At the end i used to always say 'thank you' but then i thought about it, and i wondered what i was thanking her for. I pay her for every session and we are 'equals' in the therapeutic relationship, so why should i thank her? So no, now i don't.. i know that probably sounds really harsh, but i just don't feel that me thanking her is good.. it kind of puts her in the more powerful position.
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

We are on a first name basis although I only generally use her first name when I leave her voicemails.

This isn't about therapy, but I actually had a guitar teacher for three years and I didn't know his first or last name :laugh:. It's funny how many times you can see someone and not have to say their name.
  5. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

lol, I barely can make eye contact in session, let alone use her first name. I am on a first name basis with her though, and have left her a few voice mails using her first name.
  6. alle_vite

alle_vite Well-Known Member

i dont actually address my therapist my name or anything i just smile at her and answer her questions but i always say thankyou at the end of a session.
  7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Oh boy I never made eye contact with my therapist for years.
    I suggest when you get comfortable to have part of your session set aside JUST for making eye contact. I did this with my therapist after I became more comfortable with her. It was so wonderful to look into someone's eyes. I felt validated, like a person, loved.
    Before that my eyes were all over the place. But now when I am in public and talking to people I make eye contact as well.

8. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

It took me a long time to make eye contact and still depends on how i feel that day but I do thank him for his time (as i do not pay for his time and therapy)
  9. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

We are on first name terms and the sessions are informal...I shake my Psychologists hand and say thanks everytime.