Do you support Obama's healthcare plan with a Public option?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Bob26003, Aug 12, 2009.

?

Do you support Obama's healthcare plan with a Public Option

1. Yes

75.6%
  2. No

24.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Do you support Obama's healthcare plan with a Public Option?

Why or Why not?

2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

If he follows the Swiss and Dutch models (i.e. following a mixture of public AND private insurance) then I have no objections, especially since - despite the fascination with Canada - MOST wealthy countries follow that mixed option and have relatively managable healthcare systems.

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I definitely think it should be available to everyone. Besides... when people are sick... they go to the hospital and we treat them anyway.

4. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

No I do not support it.

5. Mikeintx

Also does anyone else see the irony of discussing health insurance on a suicide support website?

6. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Yes. Everyone needs a safety net. It's stupid for business competition to get in the way of health. Leave business competition for dumbass products and non-health services.

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think something definitely needs to be done about the US healthcare system, but I don't think what Baucus and Obama are promoting is the answer. I listen to how difficult it is for people to get in to see a health care professional in all these countries with socialized medicine. People with lifethreatening issues sometimes can't get in to be treated before their life is lost. I live in a state that borders Canada and I see many Canadian citizens paying for medical services here because they could not get in to be treated there. Obama says this does not happen. Hate to disagree, but I see it.

8. Mikeintx

This is a good point gentlelady. Another thing I keep seeing is people saying how evil capitalism is in regards to healthcare... I think people are quick to forget how much money goes into research and developement because of the fact a company can profit off of it later on.

9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I think if the American people were getting straight truths on the matter they wouldnt fear it so much. I see protestors saying things like "The American Taxpayers Are The Jews For Obama's Ovens" and others yelling "Heil Hilter" at people that approve of the plans. How do people come to the conclusion of comparing a healthcare reform plan with the objectives of Adolf Hitler and his Nazi party?
    *"America is the most powerful country in the world and one of the wealthiest. It has the capacity to provide its citizens a highter standard of living and quality of life than any other country - and yet it doesnt. As a Croation friend of mine put it, "The richest people in America are surely richer than everyone in my country combined. But, I promise you, the poorest in America are worse off than the poorest in my country could even imagine." *(Quote from The Review, Aug.21/09)

10. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

As a UK citizen, and one that isn't especially hot on politics - Obama's plan is to effectively give free healthcare to all, like the UK's National Health Service (NHS), yes?

When the Conservative politician rubbished the NHS, to see all the (some would say) very very (ad nauseum) ill informed Americans on the news, on being asked "What do you think of the NHS in the UK?", many replied "Ah, it's pathetic / disgusting (etc), at having to wait 12 weeks for a dental appointment / hospital appointment". Then, on being actually asked, "Have you ever used it?", their answer: "I don't have to." Ah. Your argument falls flat, good sir.

Not to say that the NHS is necessarily better in all areas (it isn't), but surely, isn't the idea of free healthcare for all, a good thing? Surely, it's better than having 18 million (or whatever the figure is) folks without any safety net if serious injury / illness occurs? I fail to see what all the fuss is about, personally...

Someone please do tell me :)

- - -

As a journalist said: "It's funny how America elected Obama for change - now, they don't want it." Interesting words, I think..

11. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Funnily enough it was labour that fucked our dentistry and optical services over. Not to mention allowing the Scots to get the same for free.

12. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Fair enough. Free hospital care, though... Huzzah Aneurin Bevin.

13. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I recommend everyone take a look at this, given all the stuff that's going around.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/08/18/the_most_outrageous_us_lies_about_global_healthcare

A few Canadians or Europeans coming over to receive healthcare doesn't automatically discredit their respective healthcare systems (besides, far more Americans go abroad for healthcare than non-Americans come here). NONE of these countries make people wait if it's a credible, urgent emergency. People on waiting lists are generally those who can afford to wait, such as people with benign tumors. Many clinics and hospitals in our current healthcare system do the same thing anyway.

We have to stop using anecdotes on behalf of the bigger picture. Just because we know of a few examples, personally or otherwise, doesn't mean they speak for the whole. Our healthcare system is number 37th in the world - below all the countries we've been lambasting - for a reason.

Also, it's interesting to note that most Americans support a universal healthcare system...but also aren't willing to put anything into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  14. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I answered yes for reasons I've stated previously on other posts and which are summed up in this thread by the following:

Zurk, Ab, Pit, Iloveyou

I do not discount potential problems raised by Gentlelady and Itmahanh but something must be done and the healthcare lobbies will only get stronger over the years making it nearly impossible to ever pass any type of comprehensive health care plan unless we do something now.

15. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I fail to see how free healthcare is a bad thing. Even if the NHS isn't perfect, the fact that it exists is better than nothing.

I'm not rich but I'm not poor either, however my Mother is ill, my brother has his ailments, my father is ill and I have my own issues. If we all had to pay for stuff we'd be about £10,000 a year out of pocket. That'd make a dent.

Obama is just doing what he said he would - thinking about the poor first. MORE POWER TO HIM! Someone needs to.

16. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

:agreed:

17. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I support it. It may not be perfect at the moment, but we have to start somewhere.

18. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet not much of our money goes to research and developement ,but to profits.Grants and donations and yes even government money already goes into that.Seriously-let's be honest.Single payer wouldn't be free btw-it would be a tax-like seniors get with medicare.But a public option wouldn't mean anyone has to give up their private insurance plans.It would just create an atmosphere for competition and lower your premiums.

19. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

insurance companies should be abolished

we should have only a government run health plan

one that wasn't based on making profits

republicans are the scum of the earth, they are the reason why I am on this board

20. Mikeintx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.