do you tell other people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whom to tell or not. I like total honesty and could just tell people to explain why I'm behaving strange now. But maybe that wouldn't be what they want and maybe it would give me more troubles. What are your experiences of telling others about your suicide attempts and suicide thoughts?

unbearable

I only tell a strict few, literally 2 people, people only to be trusted or have unconditional love. Ive found if the wrong people know even if you thought they were friends, it leads to trouble and they treat you badly and hold it against you.

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I find it feels a lot better when I'm open and honest with people. I've only told my close friends about being suicidal, but I don't care who knows I'm depressed.

i have told friends and family. they are part of my cheerleading squad... i rely on them to keep an eye on me, let me know when i'm unravling, and to help me out when i'm down.

the only person who doesn't know is my dad. he's 72, and lives in another country. he's also the cause of alot of this grief i am now dealing with.

MaNg0s

The only people I have told about my attempts have been two of my friends, my ex but she didn't seem to care and my parents. Regarding my suicidal thoughts sometimes I tell them to my friends sometimes it makes me feel better by just getting it out of my system.

C

carol2237

I have told anyone who asks. I cannot lie to people... so if they ask, i tell them. I dont really care what people think of me though, so it doesnt affect me as it might others.

Caroline

Cas

I tell my closest friends and thats about it. I don't want to stress my family out, and my partners family would want him to get rid of me.

downunder

I told my counsellor, then she rang my work, and told my husband. :(((

I have a friend that I tell about attempts. I told one guy about how I felt like jumping off a building but only walked one floor up in the stair well and changed my mind. What a mistake, he then told some counsellors at work, a 10 days later and I got dobbed into the CAT team.

I am very wary as I don't want to be sectioned. I saw a doctor on the next morning after an overdose and she told me how I had much more energy then last time she saw me, if only she knew. She told me if I ever made any attempts I would be sectioned.

GoldenPsych

No one knows how many attempts I have made. 3 people know about the one that landed me in hospital for 3 nights. My bf and 2 friends. After the way one of my friends reacted I decided I would not tell anyone again about how I was feeling or about my depression. I cant be bothered with the hassle etc!

all i can say is dont NOT tell your parents / family

if you did it without telling them they are left with a life time of asking why .......... and if buts and maybes etc... it would affect them for their whole life just wondering

LSD

i laugh whever i try to tell my story
i'm always so sarcatic for my own good

i don't tell "everybody" .. everything.. just some close friends and thanks all
and those people..they don't know all the details.. cuz some are so embarasing xD my attemps are more a joke than an actual try of suicide

I have not told many people. Some off my older friends know, but then again I went missing one time when I was very suicidal and the police got involved. It's weird to say I've been a missing person.

I haven't told anyone who hasn't been directly effected or is not part of my support group. Even to those I do talk to, unless I am severely depressed, I joke about it. Amazing how you can make attempted suicide or accidental overdose sound funny

downunder

If I knew that I could tell anybody and I would not get sent to the looney bin then I would do it. That is the only thing that really stops me.

I don't know whether to tell someone. My two most trusted friends are the only ones I can tell my secrets but I don't know if this would be taking it too far. Advice please...

nedflanders

I don't know whom to tell or not. I like total honesty and could just tell people to explain why I'm behaving strange now. But maybe that wouldn't be what they want and maybe it would give me more troubles. What are your experiences of telling others about your suicide attempts and suicide thoughts?
Sharing your thoughts with others is tempting, but it creates far more problems than it fixes. People start demanding that you answer intrusive questions, and expect you to share yourself with them. It was a great mistake for me to share my suicidal thoughts with people I knew, and I have no intention of doing so again. That's why I don't share my real name or address here. Y'all can find that stuff out from my obituary--no sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epical Taylz

i have told my boyfriend, my friend Rachel, and my friend Jason about being depressed
i have told my boyfriend, my friend Rachel, my friend Jason, my friend Allie, my friend Stephen, and my friend Dom about my cutting
i've told my boyfriend, Rachel, and Jason about me being a bisexual
i have told my boyfriend and Rachel about my suicidal attempts.

downunder

I saw my counsellor today, and she asked about why I didn't go to work the other day. I told her I was sick and she wanted to know more. So told her I took a few sleeping tablets, she asked how many, I just said a few. I then told her there was none left. She then asked me if I had taken the rest of the packet I said yes, and then she left it at that. It was like playing chess. I won';t lie to her but I don't trust her enough not to dob me in to tell her the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00