do you tell therapist/doc you have suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Oceans, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

some doctors/therapist press on the issues while others are more or so asking as a matter of procedure.

Is it really important to tell because it only gives them the chance to intervene if they believe that you are in danger of yourself?

is the point of therapy/counselling is to resolve and sort on your problems rather than focusing on suicidal thoughts and plans?

i just don't see the point in discussing them and my current therapist is keen in knowing about them.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I am always completely honest in therapy. No reason you shouldn't tell them if you are feeling suicidal. If they thinks it's bad enough, they'll probably suggest you go to the hospital, and maybe you need it.
    Usually if you think you will be ok, the hospital is always a last resort mate.
    :heart:

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I would never tell my doctor I have suicidal thoughts. Telling her would probably make my life even worse. I try to cope with it myself, Im not doing very good at that though.

4. When you're already between a rock and a hard place - it's a tough call to make. You have to know if you're the one that is ready for help and accept it in whatever form it comes - that is - if you want it. Things will likely be taken out of your hands depending on how much and how far you go to describe your feelings. It CAN be a good thing! But I think you need to guage the reactions of your therapist before you "dump" the whole nine yards.

Ideally, yes - they would try to get to the bottom of things - the roots and causes. But the "formulaic", which they tend to vere towards, rarely serves anyone. I know it's especially hard at this time, but be discenerning. I wish you courage...

{{hugs}}

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  5. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I always tell, I guess as a way of showing how bad things are, because I don't show many physical symptoms. But I'm probably not completely honest, they always say, 'do you have any plans?' and I usually say no, mainly because I don't really understand what they mean. But I guess I do make plans. I don't want to be put into hospital...but kind of at the same time I do. And usually at that point, like the exact moment of time of talking to them, I don't feel suicidal, because my moods go up and down, and I usually feel worse when I'm by myself and brooding about things. I don't know...it's very confusing and complicated. My mind is very mixed up about it all. It doesn't help that everything they do is based on some book they had to learn...the human mind is much....more than that. It so complex, you can't break it down into simple terms, yes, no, black, white, and my mind especially doesn't work like that. So I find it hard to communicate with them, I can't help them to understand, I can't understand their approach, they can't understand my answers.

6. perfectempire

perfectempire Active Member

I would admit to having thoughts if I know the therapist's policy and that he/she wouldn't committ me.

I would never admit to having a plan, for suicide is like a wish upon a star: if you tell someone it won't come true!

7. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Yeah, I have to.

That's what they're there for, to make you better.

They're not gonna flip out and call the psych ward to take you away unless you show up with a gun to your head or something of that nature.

8. wunderwood

wunderwood Well-Known Member

yeah I do. I am a nurse so I know how a suicide assessment works.

It is about immediate danger. If you have a plan, the means and intent to do so in the next 24-48 hours constitutes a psych hold. Talking about suicidal ideation is okay. (at least in the US)

Hope that helps a bit.

9. Maylin

Maylin Well-Known Member

No, if I told everything to my doc I would get locked up.

I want to be able to end my life if I choose to, currently I have a plan, but I also have control over it.

I just dont trust other people enough, even though I know I have control over myself, someone else might not agree. I do however have 22 posts here :), I was only counting on having 2-3 in order to discuss stuff before I was commiting suicide, but a few things in my life changed it and I am checking for other things to solve my problem.

Not that my life is getting any better, it is just pausing...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
  10. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I have only ever told one person. But that was last year (When I was at school) It didn't turn out too well, my parents find out and I was being watched 24/7.

So, no I haven't told my current counsellor and I don't think I will. Especially with the course I am on.

11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Oceans,
    I have brought it up a couple of times in therapy and she skirts around it because I think she knows that if I am talking about harming myself she is obligated by law to report it and have me picked up.
    Now my shrink asks me everytime I see him do I have the thoughts and do you feel you will harm yourself in the near future. I tell him I have the thoughts everyday, and no I am not thinking about doing anything right now. You try to talk to this asswipe and he cuts you off and rushes you out of his office. He has given me two different diagnoses #1)skyzzo #2) seveere paranoia, and personality disorder. I keep telling him I can tell you what my problems are. He doesn't want to hear it. Oh well all I can do is go with the flow, he is the only shrink ACT has that I can see. The only others are nurse practitioners who deal out the meds. Take Care!~Joseph~

12. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

My councelor i have she asked me one day when i was so severly depressed if i had pills to hurt my self and i said yes and i am very honest in my sessions or else what is the point...she had me admitted to a hospital..I was angry a first but then i knew she was trying to save my life...Hell i asked her the first day i meet her if she had a problem with homosexuals. that way by the expression on her face and her reaction.. if she was right councelor for me..shes cool and i wish i could see her everyday of the week....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  13. KirstyMissJimBob

KirstyMissJimBob Well-Known Member

i told my therapist. she is good and really wants to help, a great person to chat to

14. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

yeah, i tell them. they are there to help; if i'm not open about what's going on i will never get better.

15. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I tell a little at a time. I told one that I had already written notes and left them in a certain place. Also told a different person that I had something with me in my bag to carry through any plan but that I wasn't going to use it and it was nothing illegal in my bag. I have not been locked up. I did mention to one person that a guy at work was on my case so much that I walked up a flight of stairs as I felt like jumping but then didn't go any further and changed my mind, he then told someone else a week later and I got dobbed in to the CAT team so depends on who and what you tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.