Do you think depression/anxiety is genetic or influenced by events? Or both?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by skyisburning, Jun 2, 2010.

Do you think depression/anxiety is genetic or influenced by events?

1. I think it's genetic.

2 vote(s)
  2. I think it's influenced by your environment.

6 vote(s)
  3. I think it's both.

28 vote(s)
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyisburning

skyisburning Well-Known Member

I've had depression and mild anxiety for 6 years now, and my mom just can't understand it. She loves me to death, but she can't deal with it because she never had it (other than normal anxiety from self-conscious issues)...and it makes all the more harder for me to deal. The only other person I know of in my family who had depression was my grandfather, right before he died. He was basically bed-ridden, and had always been a social butterfly his entire life, so it's understandable that he was depressed.

It just makes me depression genetic? Or does it stem from events in our lives? What do you think?
  2. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

Everyone in my family suffers from depression.

I guess I was born with a very high risk regardless of life experience.
  3. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

I think everyone has their own reason.
    If it was that simple to tie down the cause of depression then it would of been easy to solve.
  4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

in my case it's a combination of genetics and influenced by events too...
    most of my family have depression and there's 5 suicides starting with my grandfather..
    mine is influenced by RL events
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

The cause of depression is life.
  6. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I think it's both.
  7. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I think its both.
  8. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

9. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I think it's both but heavily leaning towards environment, so I picked environment. I'd say environment is way more important but there will definitely be scenarios where genetics plays a role and I'm sure it plays a very small role in every scenario.

Although it's worth adding I think a lot of it has to do with things that happened when you were a baby that had sort of a butterfly effect on your life. So not necessarily something as simple as "this bad thing happened to me" but small things that are much more complex.
  10. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

i think it's a bit of both. Even if my 'environment' was batter if u wanna call it that, i still think I'd kill myself if I had a sure-fire way of succeeding.
  11. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

ask King David
  12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I think it is both.. I have alot of members in my family who suffer from it but I also beleive that things can drag you down..
  13. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I voted for both. Every female member of my family on my maternal side has suffered with depression, going back at least several generations, so I think I already had a predisposition towards it, and then events throughout my childhood just guarenteed it.

14. TrentGrad

TrentGrad Well-Known Member

I'd say both...because it seems to be an unusual coincidence that my Maternal Grandmother was quite well known for her anxiety, and of her Grandchildren, at least three of us (out of a total of eight) have struggled from depression and/or anxiety.
  15. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

I think it's both, but for me I think it was mostly my environment and certain events that happened. I don't think there's much of a history of it in my family.
  16. plates

plates Well-Known Member

if poor parenting, poor emotional intelligence and just poor emotional welfare is genetic, then you could look at all the MH problems in my family and say genes are responsible. i think it's far more complicated than that and so is 'depression and anxiety.' that's not to say biology doesn't play a part, it does.
  17. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Both, I know five of my family and two have attempted suicide.
    Events made it more intense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.