Do you think depression can keep you from achieving goals you strive for?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ldub20, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

This might happen. It certainly is distracting to have depression. My depression distracted me from improving my chances of being part of something that I'd hoped to be a part of.
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I think being depressed can be an additional challenge in reaching our goals, but it doesn't mean reaching our goals is impossible. Sometimes breaking down the goal into smaller steps helps - whether we're depressed or feeling well - so the goals are easier to meet.
  3. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Well since my main goal right now is to find love, then yes... apparently it's hard to love somebody who suffers from depression.

Being shy, socially awkward and unattractive doesn't help, either.
  4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Whether or not our depression prevents us from achieving goals we are striving for, in the end, will be our choice. It could be that without the depression we would not have found the strength and peace that comes with having found our way through it - the knowledge that we have been created for something far better. etc.

When I had my first breakdown at 15 - yes, most certainly it caused an unwelcome disruption to my life, it was just before taking external exams and I freaked out.......and it meant that was where my education stopped. But it certainly wasn't the end of the adventure of life, once I realised what was happening. :)
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, because it can ruin your self-esteem and make you feel like you can't achieve what you want to in life, or that you don't deserve to. But I think it's something that can eventually be overcome.
  6. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

what were you trying to be part of dubby?
  7. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Depression has blocked my path many times. I do find openings and I go down another path. Sometimes I need to create my path. I agree with an earlier post that it may be needed to set up our goals in parts, and tackle one part at a time and take a break from it if we need to.
  8. champie

champie Well-Known Member

I'd like to add to Chargettes words...

IF depression blocks your path enough AND your self-esteem takes a beating AND your behaviors and actions through your depression cause other troubles for yourself (legal, financial, health) then you really have no choice but create your own path. I'd put myself in this category.

So now, depression and anger lead to the creation, by me, to a whole other set of problems that now place me in an outcast position. It is no surprise that depression continues and grows deeper in such a situation, leading to more lost opportunities and possibly more behaviors that lead to additional external problems (that's where I am at now).

Perhaps if I had focused more of my energy on creating my own path years ago I would not have found myself constantly disappointed that I couldn't keep up with the world, so to speak.

Would anyone disagree if I stated outright: "Always create your own path"?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.