Do you think life is worth living if no one cares about you?

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
All the posters in this thread are of course well-intentioned but they miss the point of the OP. Although the OP appreciates the compassion shown in this thread, his actual emotional distress comes from how he is treated in the Real world---in real life IRL. I don't know if his social problem is due to Asperger's Syndrome or not, but those with that syndrome suffer from the INability to make social contact.
Let me ask a question of the OP.
@iloverachel
Do you think there are some people who are destined to be loners? And going to the extreme, how about hermits?

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Thank you Acy that means a lot. My post was more about the people i encounter in real life. I know on here lots of people are nice supportive and caring. Its when i leave the house and into the real world where no one really cares
I get that. I know that most people when I leave the house are not really that interested in me…most probably don’t care all that much at all. But there are some who do care. There are some who stop and take the time to chat or listen or whatever…deeper relationships take more time to develop. They take time and various “exchanges” between the people involved. It can be hard to tell which people will come through and care for us as we care for them until we have a chance to see how we and they behave in a moment of need.

I think a number of people are very “self involved” and out for whatever is in it for them. They pay lip service to friendship and deeper caring, When the crunch comes, they seem to scurry into the woodwork again. That doesn’t mean all of them will do that. So we need to keep our eyes and hearts open to let the ones who do care back show us they care. It can be very scary if we’ve had lots of disappointments…without taking the risks, we don’t know if they care or not.

One of the most rewarding things I have found is that in giving of myself to others, a lot of people return the favour at some point. I don’t give to keep a tally of what I’ve given and who owes me in return. The ones who really care, eventually show me they care. The ones who don’t? Well, at least I’ve been kind to them and didn’t give only with an expectation to receive.

Not everyone will care about us, here or irl. Not everyone we are kind to will show us kindness in return. But when we put out more caring and kindness ourselves, it increases the caring and kindness going around in the world. That increases the chances that one way or another, caring and kindness will come our way.

I suppose I’m trying to find and hope for the most positive spin on things. For me, it’s better to have hope than to think life is determined and nothing I do will help, and that life is hopeless and dark. People, in my experience, are usually social creatures, so I hope that eventually, we can all find a niche with others somewhere.

iloverachel

An outcast, forgotten and excluded by society
All the posters in this thread are of course well-intentioned but they miss the point of the OP. Although the OP appreciates the compassion shown in this thread, his actual emotional distress comes from how he is treated in the Real world---in real life IRL. I don't know if his social problem is due to Asperger's Syndrome or not, but those with that syndrome suffer from the INability to make social contact.
Let me ask a question of the OP.
@iloverachel
Do you think there are some people who are destined to be loners? And going to the extreme, how about hermits?
To answer your question I feel yes some people are destined to be loners.
I do believe I have severe social anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder which makes it hard to make friends

The Undertaker

Try me, I'll make you famous!!!
Good question, in my own personal opinion/experience no there is not, although everyone is different I am firmly in the "No" category

I've not got family of my own or a job or a social group IRL most people I communicate with are other ends of the planet such as Western U.S.A and Australia and so on.

Sure I have my hobbies and interests but if there is nothing human wise worth living for then I think no

Waves

I believe that all of us matter. In other words, no human being is inconsequential, especially if one views it from the perspective of the butterfly, ripple, domino, or snowball effect, or six degrees of separation. You matter, @iloverachel, even to those who do not know you. No human being lives in a social vacuum, not even the most remote groups of people. What we do, say, and think matters, and affects the lives of others. All of us are connected to one another in various ways. Furthermore, even our weak ties or consequential strangers could have an enormous impact on our lives.

References of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcxZSmzPw8k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnYSMhR3jCI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhtgINeaJWg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQFeq6tNcw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNQPQkV3nhw.
Yet I would like to connect with just one Person

iloverachel

An outcast, forgotten and excluded by society
Good question, in my own personal opinion/experience no there is not, although everyone is different I am firmly in the "No" category

I've not got family of my own or a job or a social group IRL most people I communicate with are other ends of the planet such as Western U.S.A and Australia and so on.

Sure I have my hobbies and interests but if there is nothing human wise worth living for then I think no
Yet I would like to connect with just one Person
*hug

Do you think there are some people who are destined to be loners?
I just remembered when I was in preschool, that I felt alone there and had no friends. I would wait out my day, until the best part when my mother came to pick me up. Wow, I just realized I feel the same way now, except there is no 'pick up' anymore. I also felt like an outcast sitting at the outcast lunch table in High School, and then I sat by myself. So in that sense, yes I believe some seem destined for loneliness. Like trying to fit a puzzle piece repeatedly in the wrong area of a puzzle... I don't belong here, but where do I belong then?

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
That's a good description of the hollow emptiness I experience sometimes, @I Love Tomorrow .

It's interesting, but for me sad, thing to ponder how maybe some of us are born with the outcast gene (I made that up, but it feels that way). I read Addicted's post about success vs failure and biochemicals, comparing & adding it to this thread in my thoughts.

Together they bring into focus how I've run along the edges of everything social my entire life, though I've tried finding good, healthy connections. They always collapse. I don't know if there is an answer.

Autumn1973

Looking for people who will accept me for who I am
This is something I would really love to be able to do. Help other people. Because I care about others. But I don't want to be a hypocrite. How can I offer help when all I want is to take my own life? People writing about how they want to die, and I want nothing more than to be able to help them, but I can't because I understand exactly where they're coming from. I want to be dead, too. It's awful. I mean, I don't know what to say anymore. All I know is how I feel. And I wish I was dead.

Inanimate

Yes, provided that one finds (or at least wants to find) purpose, enjoyment, and something worth suffering for, outside of interpersonal connections.

No matter how many people care about you, they all eventually have their own lives to cater to, which will inevitably distract attention from you or even take it away altogether. Either way, there’s more to life than being cared about. While that seems unlikely, staking your happiness on the attention and goodwill of people you don’t even know will certainly make life unbearable.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00