Do you think people who deal with prejudice should know better when dishing it out?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Aurora Gory Alice, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I don't know why... but I do.

When I hear a gay person say something racist or a black person say something sexist - it makes my skin crawl and my blood boil.

I know we're all ONLY HUMAN and prejudice is part of our nature but as someone who has had to encounter sexism, racism, weight prejudice, the stigma attached to having mental health issues and so on and so forth... I always try to think before I speak because I have been there and I know how it feels to be discriminated against.
    But why is it so many others don't seem to care or are people just all too quick to forget the battles that they have gone through?

2. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Re: Do you think people who deal with prejudice should know better when dishing it ou

History will repeat itself unless they learn from their mistakes and unfortunately one sometime has to make the mistakes to learn from it. Then again some people have a thick skull. I'm gonna play the Devil's advocate here and say they didnt know better...

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Re: Do you think people who deal with prejudice should know better when dishing it ou

I think everyone should know better than to dish it out. All prejudice makes my blood boil.

4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'm going to go ahead and guess the making of this thread was fueled at least in part by my expressed views on obesity?

5. Tomas

Tomas Well-Known Member

They should know better, but this isn't an ideal world and whether people admit it or not, everyone has their own prejudices.

6. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Actually I was thinking to make this the other day when we were discussing racism and the BNP in the General Election thread, and then when you mentioned obesity and I saw that article it made me remember wanting to ask the question...

7. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

People say things they shouldn't all the time- even if they don't mean it at all. That's just the way people are, I guess.

8. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

Along the same vein, what do you think about how it's acceptable for gay people to call themselves and other gay people queers or dykes etc. or black people to call each other n*****s, yet when someone who isn't gay or black or what have you says it people freak out.

Opinions?

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Intent means a lot when labels are around. A black guy calling another black guy a n***** obviously does not mean it as slanderous, but that's not necessarily the case with a white person saying it (oh, this forum does have some censorship... Spic? )

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

The problem is everyone thinks that what they think, believe or say is so important. My thoughts define who I am, and surely who I am is the most important thing ever? Yeah, right.

You could respond, 'Ziggy, you're talking shite', fair enough, you're probably right.

11. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I actually embrace when people are honest about their prejudices, and almost everyone has at least a couple. For me, I love to engage with White people in an honest, no-restrictions conversation about what they think about Blacks, because it opens up doors to understanding their perspective, and correcting many of their misconceptions. What pisses me off is when people candy-coat what they believe, and start playing the role of guilty conscience "African-Americans are just like us" bullshit instead of being upfront about how they truly feel.

12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I live in the south and prejudice is an everyday thing.. I am not prejudice.. My daighter dates black guys and that is fine with me as long as she is happy.. My grandaughter is half black and she is a very intelligent and beautiful young lady..When people use the N word it boils my blood..

13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

My ex loved to be called a dyke by people in her neighbourhood!

"Queer" can be considered offensive to people who identify as gay/bisexual/lesbian or generally. So can "dyke" and "fag." These terms have been reclaimed from the past- because it wasn't always that the word 'dyke' for example, had negative connotations.

I'd say I'm queer. I don't believe that heterosexuality is 'the norm' as gay/bisexual/lesbian all work on a heterocentric persepective.

"Queer, dyke and fag" (or slut) is not considered offensive (depending on context) if people identify as queer and feel separate from the mainstream LGBT scene. These people might have serious issues with discrimination/prejudices WITHIN mainstream LGBT groups, and feel like what they say isn't being heard on issues of class, colour, gender orientation, voice, where a lot of racism, internalised homophobia, violence, abuse can go on but is hidden with a lot of PC bullshit. Some, not all- are a lot more political, have a lot more social awareness and might not consider, eg, gay marriage to be something to fight for, or integration something to aspire to, whereas in mainstream politics this is a hot topic.

AGA: I never for once expect a gay person, or a black person (or gay black person, or bisexual asian person etc etc the list goes on) to not harbour prejudices based on things that are unfounded (there is a difference), or because of their own anxieties. What you mention is everyday, it's everywhere, and it's something to be talked about, rather than ignored as something embarassing.

14. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

this world would be a great place without discrimination, but there are always people who want to hate, wish it weren't so

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.