Do you think people without depression are spoiled?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by DawsonJ, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DawsonJ

DawsonJ Well-Known Member

I recently had this discussion with two friends. One has never had a hard time period in his life, let alone depression; the other has a sister with depression, but has only had the occasional bad day. They both said that a person without depression is not spoiled. I disagreed. I've been suicidal since 5 years old and was diagnosed as "Abnormal Manic Depressive with Paranoid Schizophrenia.". So to me, those who haven't experienced true depression are spoiled. What are your thoughts?
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

As a person who's never dealt with depression, I can honestly say that I don't think I'm "spoiled." I have a physical disability, and so although I realize I've never had to deal with the same issues as someone with depression, I've had other challenges to face. I think it depends on what each individual has had to face in their lives.
  3. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Not necesarrily spoiled. I've met spoiled people who do have depression and other mental illness and I've met people who don't have mental illness who aren't spoiled at all. It just depends on the person, being spoiled and having a mental illness don't have anything to do with each other. But, if what you really mean is those without mental illness can't truly understand someone who does struggle with it, then I think that's true in many cases.
  4. toffeekitten

toffeekitten Well-Known Member

Are you saying that those without depression are lucky and have it off easy? If you are then I partly agree, because having depression is awful, but then there are so many other challenges in life that are awful and worse than depression in my opinion, so I dont think they are spoiled and have it easy.
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

That's nonsense. Depression is depression is depression. It's indiscriminate. However, I'd imagine that some are more vulnerable to developing major depressive disorders than others. Spoiled people are easier to sadden when they don't get their way because they're used to things being easy; non-spoiled people are easier to sadden when they don't get their way, as well, because life has been difficult enough, if it's not getting better well then shit -- bam, depression.

In the end it really doesn't make a damn difference. Anybody can become depressed.
  6. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

My definition of spoiled is when a person's troubles are alleviated by another. A prime example is a parent who throws money and objects his/her child's way; that is being spoiled.

Depression is a matter of circumstance, coping skills, and genetics.
  7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I think that they're two seperate phenomena, which can overlap.
  8. DawsonJ

Wow! I didn't think I'd get so many replies so quickly. Thank you all. Now, to attempt to explain myself better. Having been depressed all my life, I have seen so many around me make successes of their lives, whereas my depression has held me back in so many ways. I have had jobs I really enjoyed, but couldn't handle for long, and have watched my friends marry and start new relationships. Meanwhile, I'm too negative for others to get too close to me. So, from my viewpoint, I don't see those who are healthy as "normal," but, rather, as "spoiled." IDK, maybe I'm just rambling, but I hope I'm making some level of sense. Thanks for reading my blathering blatherskite.
  9. skyisburning

skyisburning Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they're spoiled....but I don't believe that they could ever understand the magnitude at which we (depressed folk) are sad. I know my mom can't grasp it, even though she tries, and even my therapist can't fully empathize. It's just frustrating...
  10. This is an erroneous assertion based on the flaws of subjectivity. First of all, it's far too simplistic. I've met many people who've never fell on truly hard times in their lives and are materially spoiled beyond belief, yet some of them are very depressed. Many feel that their inability to actually earn anything based on merit or the lack of difficulty in their lives is a terrible "curse" if you will. They see others battle back from what they see as insurmountable adversity and feel as if they could never accomplish such a feat. Furthermore, depression is often an issue of genetics and heredity that can manifest itself regardless of mental or physical circumstances.
  11. DawsonJ

Skyisburning is explaining my thought beeter than I. That's more what I am trying to get at: their inability to comprehend true depression. Their lack of depression to me makes them the "Haves" of mental health, whereas I think of myself as a "Have-Not" mentally and emotionally speaking. So, using that as a reference, I tend to put mentally healthy people over me as though they had something that I could never attain to. Comparable to poor, homeless people feeling negatively of those who happen to be in a business/situation which supports their growth of wealth. Hence, the feeling that someone is "spoiled" mentally. I do better as a translator of other people's words than a communicator of my own feelings, so I'm not likely to be able to accurately illustrate my meaning. Thank you for your patience and comments.
  12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Isn't your idea of what it is to be materially "spoiled," your idea of "merit", and reasons why you think such people are depressed, subjective and simplistic in itself?

Is lack of "merit", self pity, self doubt that you talk about above- genetic?
  13. DawsonJ

You're right. My thinking is erroneous. I'd do better to go back to just reading other people's posts and hold mine back, like I do in general life. It's clear that my thinking and culture really don't match anyone's I've ever met, or any culture I've studied. Well, that's that. To all, I hope the best.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
  14. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

There's no connection between being spoiled and depression.
  15. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Hopefully the mentally healthy will be exposed to the plight of the mentally stricken and become more appreciative and charitable with their blessed lives.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.