Do you think some threads on here are counter productive?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Kaos General, Oct 31, 2010.

Are some threads counter productive to what SF stands for?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I dont know

4. Wayne shut up and do something else!!!!!!!

0 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I just wanna know peoples thoughts on certain types of threads on here.

Ok there are threads on here such as I love you thread, hug a member thread, say something nice about another member thread.

People come on here because generally they have been rejected IRL, have really really low self worth etc. and they come across one of these threads. Now say someone has been coming here for a while and has been a member for a few months and then looks through this thread and never see their name in any of them and hence their self worth goes right back down to 0, doesnt that go against what this site is about?

Now im not gonna sit here and say its wrong or right because ive commented in these threads myself etc. It was just something i was thinking about earlier on.

So are those type of threads counter productive or not?
  2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

What do you want, these types of threads to be banned? As you mentioned I think a lot of people are starved of affection in real life, so I think on here they become quickly attached to other members, overly affectionate etc. Maybe it is sometimes a bit false but I think it can give people here some sort of comfort, however temporary.

I can see what you're saying about people feeling left out, but what do you propose we do about it?
  3. Kaos General

Absoloutely nothing. I just wanted to know what people thought was all.
  4. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I see them mainly for members with friends on the site or for people to be nice. I don't think they are counter productive, they are not really the types of threads where people expect to be on. It doesn't bother me as i never check them...

..just checked, no hugs for Decode :cry:
  5. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

I don't think they are counter productive. I think they're a sweet way for friends on here to show each others love. Nobody should feel left out if they aren't mentioned in these threads often. I'm never hardly mentioned in any of those threads but I don't feel to left out. I still think they are sweet and not counter productive :3
  6. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I guess they could hurt some people. But if you don't have many connections on here, then you can't really be suprised that your name doesn't appear...

Decode..... :hugtackles: I like your avatar.
  7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. People on here tend to move on and leave the members they've met on here behind anyway. Most of the friendships on here are temporary ones. The hugs aren't really that genuine in the long run.
  8. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Thats what i was thinking.

Thanks, it seemed appropriate. :hugs:
  9. Kaos General

I agree with that but some people do make friends off here and actually meet up IRL so not everyone moves on but a lot of people do your right

and yeah i feel some people just overuse the emotes when in fact sometimes people want a reply instead of :hug:
  10. Kaos General

Yeah but its still gonna hurt some people though whether they have contacts or not right?
  11. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

:laugh: Wayne, remember when i went on that horrible, hateful rant about emotes and people on this forum? God i was fucking horrible. And we fought. God we used to hate eachother ;)

I think people just will use emotes when they don't know what to say, but want to show theat they have read and can appreciate someone's post. But simply can't offer any advice.

Well i can't say i was hurt when i saw those threads, when i was new and didn't know anyone. But that's just me.
  12. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I think any one of the threads on here- be it negative or positive; can be counter-productive under the right circumstances.

Some of us are more fragile than others- some of us don't give a shit at all and some of us would like more attention that we get and some of us wouldn't.
    It's hard to generalize how the whole forum feels about every single one of the threads because moods change- emotions change- experiences change how we feel when we come online... so, sure. Plenty of the threads can be counter productive-- it doesn't mean they shouldn't be posted here though.
  13. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Vane, stop being so wonderfully insightful and intelligent. It makes me look bad :grr:

14. Kaos General

Hate is such a strong word :lol!:

15. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Any thread can be both counter-productive and productive - it solely depends on who's reading it.
  16. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Hahahah Ok, maybe not hate. 'Strongly dislike' or how about i just thought you were a really big arse :tongue:

All good now, buddy :hug:

On another note...Sorry, i seem to be hijaking threads today.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
  17. Kaos General

Very true you forgotten something though, age. With age comes great insight :lol!: im starting to feel my age on here lately.
  18. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

Hmm this whole site can be counter productive, for me anyways, as i come here to waste time and not do anything productive at all... but if i come here to be not productive and achieve that, does that mean im succeeding at being counter productive therefore im really being productive? Great now ive confused myself :S...honestly tho sf is a support site for people who r suicidal so i dont see how a thread that is giving support can be seen as counter productive but i do get that some people who feel left out and excluded but thats not the intention of the thread so i see no problem with threads like that...
  19. Kaos General

Depends on your definition of productive. Helping people and therefore helping yourself in the process is productive, i think it is anyways and yeah i come on here more and more to procrastinate now than anything else and before i know it ive spent 12 hours basically doing nothing!!

Anyways i know its not the intention of the people who start the threads, its just something ive observed and felt myself at times, more often than not its when im suicidal and i look for reasons to validate my twisted thought process at the time which is that no-one actually cares.
  20. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I've only posted on the hugs thread couple of times and it was a general hug to all on SF because i didn't want to upset anyone...
    I understand what you're saying CF...
    people can feel left out and unloved (' moi' is top of that list) :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.