Do you think someone can be 'addicted' to depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shock

sometimes, not often, I think I may have trouble getting over depression cause I dont know what it would be like without it. I think maybe I might even be scared of who I would be without it, which sounds really wierd I know...but yeah.

Has anyone else felt like this?

PeaceBlueFire

From experience, I believe people can be addicted to depression. Depression is something I've always known, I don't remember a time when I wasn't depressed. It's really scary at times. I'm not even sure what I fear more...having depression or getting better. I'm the type of person who likes what I know and what is comfortable to me. There have been times when my depression has lifted as a result of either therapy, medications, coping, or another source and I have freaked out because it was uncomfortable and unknown. I'm really not sure how I would manage without the depression since it's largely my indentity right now. I would have to learn a whole new way of doing things and become almost a completely new person without this illness. So in answer to your question, yes I have felt like you do. Erin :)

If I knew or remembered how did it feel to be "happy", I'd probably try harder to get out of the depression.

For now I'll keep on smiling or smirking for random reasons that not even I can understand while noticing happy people out there being all happy-ish :dry:

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Many people are addicted I think. To be depressed for a long time, or your whole life, makes depression your identity, so trying to find ways to be happy becomes losing yourself. And no one wants to loose themselves.
The best way to work through this is with a therapist I think. Because letting go of your identification with depression can be hard when you feel like you have nothing else to hold on to. Weekly or for me bi-weekly :) support from a therapist can be the first start in having something else to hold on to, to fall back on, to lift you up.
PM me if you ever need to talk. I know how you feel.
all the best :heart:

Shock

From experience, I believe people can be addicted to depression. Depression is something I've always known, I don't remember a time when I wasn't depressed. It's really scary at times. I'm not even sure what I fear more...having depression or getting better. I'm the type of person who likes what I know and what is comfortable to me. There have been times when my depression has lifted as a result of either therapy, medications, coping, or another source and I have freaked out because it was uncomfortable and unknown. I'm really not sure how I would manage without the depression since it's largely my indentity right now. I would have to learn a whole new way of doing things and become almost a completely new person without this illness. So in answer to your question, yes I have felt like you do. Erin :)

wow yeah i agree with what you say!

bunny

Staff Alumni
i agree with what's been said so far too, but i also feel my depression is my safety net, if something goes wrong and i can't cope, it's ok, i have depression. But if i don't have depression and i still couldn't cope, what then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00