Do you think suicide selfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tendenCs_89

I think it's selfish because I think selfishness is something in all of us. Everyone wants to be happy, no body wants problems, no one wants to hurt, people want to live forever or be young forever. Life is just about wanting, always wanting. Greedy isn't?

If I kill myself (or not) I have the right to be selfish, because you should always think about yourself first.
I agree entirely :)

Zoe

The motivation is unselfish - it most cases it's the result of inability to cope with depression.

The result is usually selfish though, sadly.

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Suicide is definitely not selfish.

'We cannot control what other people do, we can only control what we do. We are not responsible for other people's actions and/or reactions.'

Those words seem to apply to every action except suicide, but why should that be any different? In my suicide, I am not responsible for how people react to it. Other people's reactions are not my responsibility. I would not be causing pain, it would be their choice to react that way.

The way you have to think about suicide, in my eyes, is how people are going to react after you've taken that step.

The pain and suffering your going to cause to all the people around you.

THEY will look at it as selfish, no matter how YOU felt, it's going to be selfish in THEIR eyes.

I suppose thats one of the decisions you make.

BriGuy

Antiquities Friend
The way you have to think about suicide, in my eyes, is how people are going to react after you've taken that step.

The pain and suffering your going to cause to all the people around you.

THEY will look at it as selfish, no matter how YOU felt, it's going to be selfish in THEIR eyes.

I suppose thats one of the decisions you make.
So... does that mean that no matter how much I HURT... just because others might be hurt by me dying, I should stay around and suffer? The last thing I want to think about right now is those few people around me that will be hurt... that just makes me feel even WORSE than I already do! But, then again, I also feel I am hurting some of them BY staying around... not only causing them worry and emotional pain, but financially draining as well. So I just can't agree that I HAVE to think about others reactions... that just adds more guilt and pain to what I already have! :sad:

Remedy

Chat & Forum Buddy
I don't have the paitence to read all nine pages, but I want to give my two cents. Yes, it's selfish. If anyone I cared about commited suicide it would COMPLETELY screw me up. How can you get over something like that ? Knowing someone you care about will never come back ? Knowing they'll never even breathe again ? It's impossible and even worse, it could lead to them comitting suicide too. Or the alternative, staying alive and struggling with it everyday of their life... That doesn't seem right.

Again, no one cares how the suicide victim felt. Just how they feel from the loss. That is what makes the other person selfish, not the suicide victim.

Jehuty

In the end it is the person his or her own life.
They have the right to do with it what they want.

Besides it doesn't matter if it is selfish or not.
I mean, isn't being selfish part of being human?

I do not think suicide is selfish at all. It is terrible and sad, yes, but it does happen, and when it does, we cannot be so harsh in our judgements. The word selfish implies fault, but suicidal people do not kill themselves with the intentions of hurting their loved ones. They do it because they are in such a dark place that they are unable to comprehend that they even are loved. They feel so worthless that they don't even think their deaths will effect people that much. For anyone to refuse to understand the desperation that drives someone to take their own life is, I think, the selfish act. For anyone to be unwilling to put aside their own pain, confusion, and discomfort on the issue long enough to understand the intense pain that drives someone to kill themselves, is what's really selfish. Good people kill themselves in times of despair. Some people go on living, in spite of their overwhelming sorrow, every day so as to not devastate the people they hold dear. This is selfLESS and even admirable.
And please do not forget the survival instinct, which resides in the oldest part of our brain and is imbibed in the cores of our beings. When a person negates this instinct, it is because they have exhausted all of the support, strength, and hope that they possibly possess. NO ONE would kill themselves if they could find a way to go on living.
And if anyone says differently, it stems directly from their own personal comfort level regarding the issue, not the suicidal person.
Our view of suicide should be one of compassion and understanding, not one of condemnation, resentment, and blame, or the consequences will be dire.

I don't think it is selfish at all. It's up to the individual to decide if the pain is too much. It's a terrible choice to have to pick between ending the pain, and enduring it to please everyone but yourself.

I also disagree with it being "weak". People that say only babies take the easy way out, or something like that, have no idea what they are saying. It is not easy, it is not painless, it is not escape or being lazy. It is terrifying, difficult, painful, and exhausting. It's impossible to put into words.

I'd have to say though also, that one needs to exhaust all resources before making such a final choice. But if you come to that choice, it's absolutely not selfish.

GabrielConroy

usually it is
only one in hundred suicides isnt if that

Is anyone here suicidal for the reason that doesnt center around themselves?
Even the "im a burden" people arent doing it to lighten to load on others theyre doing it cuz their self esteems b 2 low

So anyways heres the challenge
How is your primary motivation for suicide not selfish?

tell us what it is and tell us how that reason doesnt revolve entirely around you

this feels soapy

Its selfish on both parts. If I wasn't alive, my parents wouldn't be burden with paying my medical bills, paying for me to fail at college, pay for my speeding tickets from years ago, pay for an ever mounting debt. I'm a waste of resources as one put it in an early post. All I do is take of space, I'm a waste of carbon. My body would do much more lying in the ground decomposing than it would ever do living and breathing. Someone said "death wont bring you happiness".. Who ever said it would? I would love LOVE if once you die you die, the fucking end.

Its also selfish on the family/friends of a suicide victim to want someone around when they don't want to be around. Temporary solution? Bullshit, my life is gonna be the same 2 months from now as it will be 10 years from now.

Breathe

It is human nature to be selfish, to self preserve one's interests and put ones intentions and needs before another.

The reason behind suicide as "GabrielConroy" said are selfish. Once again we are looking at our own needs instead of looking at the connections of family and friends.

Then again it is our lives we control them, if we can decide what to eat everyday, decide what we want to do career wise and decide who are our friends. why can we not decide when we want to die?

Alliance

No because we are not given the choice to live.

simple as that

I believe it to be more selfish for people to expect those who suffer so much to keep on suffering for the rest of their life.

BriGuy

Antiquities Friend
Even the "im a burden" people arent doing it to lighten to load on others theyre doing it cuz their self esteems b 2 low
Why do I have low self esteem BECAUSE I am a burden? I am a burden due to physical disability, with so much pain that I am incapable of earning my own wages any longer. That has nothing to do with self esteem... it is strictly a financial FACT!

Ĺ

ĹốŞŧβōΨž

Ok this may be a ramble so feel free to ignore, yes it is selfish but no it isnt having lost someone to sucide i feel lost and alone and heartbroken everyday i think about how i could of helped more done anything to help them. How i know my love wasnt enough to ease there pain, how can i walk this earth knowing i failed someone. These are the thoughts and feelings i have to live and try but fail to deal with.

But..............

I understand that whatever i feel they are my own feelings, would it be selfish for me to expect someone who is so fundementally unhappy to hang around and remain unhappy just to make me happy, i havent found something that comforts me yet. All i hope is that they have found the peace they are looking for.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for i just wanted to give you an idea of my thought process, i dunno if anyone else can relate to this though:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00