Do you think that energy drinks actually give you more energy or is it all a load of crap?

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
I bought a Monster energy drink today. I don't often buy energy drinks, but I was out because I had a doctor's appointment and it took me literally having to force myself out the door due to extremely low energy and motivation. Plus, I was also thirsty as fuck, so figured what the hell, I'll get an energy drink.

Now, the ingredients that supposedly provide the actual energy part are: taurine, L-carnitine, caffeine, and inositol. I haven't researched any of this, so no idea how effective they are or what they even are, except for taurine and caffeine.

But what do you think? Do these things help any?

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
If anything, I would expect those drinks to temporarily increase the levels of alertness which could be interpreted as having an energy boost. Any energy boosts derived, would most likely be from the sugar content which would exert a short lived effect on the user. As for the other ingredients :

Caffeine works by blocking the effects of adenosine, a brain chemical involved in sleep. When caffeine blocks adenosine, it causes neurons in the brain to fire. Thinking the body is in an emergency, the pituitary gland initiates the body's "fight or flight" response by releasing adrenaline. This hormone makes the heart beat faster and the eyes dilate. It also causes the liver to release extra sugar into the bloodstream for energy. Caffeine affects the levels of dopamine, a chemical in the brain's pleasure center. All of these physical responses make you feel as though you have more energy.

Taurine, L-carnitine - natural amino acids produced by the body that helps regulate heart beat and muscle contractions but has little or no effect on boosting energy.

Inositol part of the B complex groups does help to affect insulin levels and so aids in blood sugar control. however the amount is probably too small to create much of an effect

Gurana - another stimulant.

So to conclude, personally I don't believe they will provide energy, rather produce a type of excitatory effect. Just some fiendishly clever marketing if you ask me.

Few years ago, Red Bull faced a group action lawsuit over misleading claims causing it to pay out for telling porkies :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/29550003/so-red-bull-doesnt-actually-give-you-wings

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
Thinking the body is in an emergency, the pituitary gland initiates the body's "fight or flight" response by releasing adrenaline. This hormone makes the heart beat faster and the eyes dilate
Wait, that kind of sounds like it could actually increase anxiety rather than give more energy.

Caffeine affects the levels of dopamine, a chemical in the brain's pleasure center.
How does it affect dopamine, do you know?

natural amino acids produced by the body that helps regulate heart beat and muscle contractions
So that actually sounds like the opposite of what caffeine can do. Caffeine can increase your heartbeat and these two regulate it?

Any energy boosts derived, would most likely be from the sugar content
Well, the one I bought was actually zero sugar and zero calories.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
Speaking from drinking these things a lot during a night shift job, they did seem to help me feel more alert but they also made me feel antsy and made my movements jittery.
So then I was right about these things possibly causing more anxiety by releasing adrenalin as well. Seems to make sense. I guess I probably shouldn't drink these things after all then. Which kind do you typically drink?

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
So then I was right about these things possibly causing more anxiety by releasing adrenalin as well. Seems to make sense. I guess I probably shouldn't drink these things after all then. Which kind do you typically drink?
Was usually either Monster or Rockstar when I had them. I don't drink them at all anymore. There were also these tiny little 5 Hour Energy things.

Sad Elf

I bought one by mistake a few weeks back, was in a hurry and picked up the wrong one. Frank it anyway as was skeptical of would be any different to a normal drink. The main think I noticed was heart palpitations and I got what I guess I would describe as twitchy. I was more alert but also felt I edge. I don't need to feel more on edge *rofl. So giving them a miss in future !!

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
These are the ingredients in 5-Hour Energy from what I just Googled:

• Niacin 30 mg β€” 150% of the RDA. (Monster has 100% Recommended Daily Amount [RDA])
  • Vitamin B6 40 mg β€” 2000% of the RDA. (Again, only 100% RDA)
  • Folic acid 400 mg β€” 100% of the RDA. (Don't even see this on the label)
  • Vitamin B12 500 mcg β€” 8333% of the RDA. (100% RDA)
  • Energy blend: taurine, glucuronic acid, malic acid, N-acetyl L tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, caffeine, and citicoline. Total amount of blend: 1870 mg.
So it seems that the RDA percentages between these two vary quite significantly. Also, Monster doesn't have glucuronic acid, malic acid, N-acetyl L tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, and citicoline. Though, 5-Hour Energy doesn't have the L-carnitine and inositol, I don't think.

The Vitamin B12 level is quite alarming, but pretty sure it's harmless. Plus, I'm B12 deficient, so it'd probably be a good thing in my case. But overall, I don't think it's worth it to drink these after having looked into it. I'd rather not risk more anxiety, thankyouverymuch.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
I haven't tried energy drinks, except for a bit of Mountain Dew. I'd assume it would make me anxious and jittery as too much caffeine does that.
I don't think Mountain Dew is considered an energy drink. Although, I think it does have some caffeine in it as all sodas probably do. But I don't think the amount would be any more than what's in a cup of coffee.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
That'll be caffeine leading to the jitters. Excessive amounts can lead to increase BP, palpitations, anxiety, resltlessness.
Funny, because I just read that 5-Hour Energy doesn't specify exactly how much caffeine they put in there. Monster specifies 70mg per serving (so 140mg total in the can). Shit, no wonder people are suing some of these companies for misleading or false advertising.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
These are the ingredients in 5-Hour Energy from what I just Googled:

• Niacin 30 mg β€” 150% of the RDA. (Monster has 100% Recommended Daily Amount [RDA])
  • Vitamin B6 40 mg β€” 2000% of the RDA. (Again, only 100% RDA)
  • Folic acid 400 mg β€” 100% of the RDA. (Don't even see this on the label)
  • Vitamin B12 500 mcg β€” 8333% of the RDA. (100% RDA)
  • Energy blend: taurine, glucuronic acid, malic acid, N-acetyl L tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, caffeine, and citicoline. Total amount of blend: 1870 mg.
So it seems that the RDA percentages between these two vary quite significantly. Also, Monster doesn't have glucuronic acid, malic acid, N-acetyl L tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, and citicoline. Though, 5-Hour Energy doesn't have the L-carnitine and inositol, I don't think.

The Vitamin B12 level is quite alarming, but pretty sure it's harmless. Plus, I'm B12 deficient, so it'd probably be a good thing in my case. But overall, I don't think it's worth it to drink these after having looked into it. I'd rather not risk more anxiety, thankyouverymuch.
No shit, that B12 is excessively high, recommended daily intake is 1.5mcg- 2.6mcg. As it stands, there isn't much evidience of B12 having any deleterious effects unllke with certain other vitamins.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
No shit, that B12 is excessively high, recommended daily intake is 1.5mcg- 2.6mcg. As it stands, there isn't much evidience of B12 having any deleterious effects unllke with certain other vitamins.
Yeah, so like I said, for someone like me who is actually Vitamin B deficient, it might not be such a bad thing. But yeah, overall, still not worth it. I'd rather take OTC B12 tablets or gummies or some shit.

OfLoveAndDeath

Of ❀️ and ☠️
I find that they work the same way as coffee for me. If I've had a coffee but still feel tired because I didn't sleep well or something then I'll have one and I usually feel more caffeinated and energized. I don't know if it actually gives you more energy or if it's just a placebo, I just know it has caffeine and that's enough for me really

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Yeah, so like I said, for someone like me who is actually Vitamin B deficient, it might not be such a bad thing. But yeah, overall, still not worth it. I'd rather take OTC B12 tablets or gummies or some shit.
Goes without saying that would be a safer route as opposed to chugging away on cans of energy drink. If your B12 levels are really low, then perhaps medical treatment with B12 injections would be appropriate? Commonly it's a weekly dose for around 5 weeks followed by maintenace doses of 1 every 3 months over a 15mnth stretch.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
Goes without saying that would be a safer route as opposed to chugging away on cans of energy drink. If your B12 levels are really low, then perhaps medical treatment with B12 injections would be appropriate? Commonly it's a weekly dose for around 5 weeks followed by maintenace doses of 1 every 3 months over a 15mnth stretch.
I assume that's probably for extremely low levels, though? Truthfully, I have no idea how low mine are. But I guess Vitamin B deficiencies (and D) could also be a factor in low energy, right?

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
I find that they work the same way as coffee for me. If I've had a coffee but still feel tired because I didn't sleep well or something then I'll have one and I usually feel more caffeinated and energized. I don't know if it actually gives you more energy or if it's just a placebo, I just know it has caffeine and that's enough for me really
I've simply just gotten into a habit of drinking 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, and it doesn't really affect me in any noticeable way. In fact, I could even drink a cup of coffee at night and still be able to sleep right afterward the same way I normally would. Not sure how much caffeine is in a single cup (though, I guess it would depend on the size of the cup and type of coffee). But mostly, I just drink it out of habit and because I like the taste. Actually, I could go for a cup now, lol. With French Vanilla creamer (though, hazelnut and pumpkin creamers are my favorite).

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00