Do you think there is NO afterlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Do you think there is No afterlife? That after you die, there is absolute nothingness. After all, there's No way to prove the existence of Heaven and Hell. So it all comes down to individual belief.
So if you are a nihilist, how does it affect your attitude toward your present life? Does it make life more precious to you?

Deety

SF Supporter
I think there is no afterlife. I hope there is (well I used to hope, not so sure now), but I have no belief in it. I'm not sure that I can answer your questions. It used to make me terrified to die, I wanted to live forever. However life changed and I've tried to die several times, and am reckless or careless more often than that. So...I don't know.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I don't believe in an afterlife. I believe we are just a collection of cells like any other living thing. We're born, we live, we die, nothing else. We should try to live our lives with kindness because that is the right thing to do, not because of any religion or spirituality. I find it comforting to know that when I die, there will be nothing but it does make it more tempting when things are really bad.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Living in a way which maximizes happiness and avoids unhappiness makes sense regardless of whether we believe in some form of continued existence or not. I do think that a conviction that nothing awaits us can make suicide seem like the answer if the problems of life get too much to bear because it makes life seem intrinsically meaningless. Belief that there's more to it can make pain more bearable because suffering can be placed in a meaningful context.

Alice333

What makes us, us? Yes, I agree we are a collection of cells and our brain functions to control our thoughts and actions, but we also have a soul. The brain alone does not determine everything we think about. Morals, ethics, what tell us apart from right and wrong comes from the soul. In the first civilizations, we could have believed killing each other was right because we gained more personally, but we didn't because of our soul. That is why some killers and criminals are referred to as "soulless". When the body dies, the cells die, the soul cannot simply just perish, I believe there is an afterlife for our souls to unite.

I believe that the essence of our being is spirit, the masculine part, and soul, its feminine counterpart. Being spirit and a spark of the Divine, naturally our true home is the world of spirit. That's where we come from at the beginning of each new earthly lifetime and to where we return when it has come to its end - one way or another. It makes no difference which way the death of our physical body comes about. There is nowhere else for anyone to go. With love - Aquarius :)

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I find the concept of an individual soul problematic, although I don't think the part of us which knows we, and everything else, exists can be reduced to matter and its interactions. It can never be proven that conscious being arises from matter and I don't think we should take what is a mere assumption as proven fact. From our present perspective, we cannot know if any aspect of us continues after death of the body, but the very uncertainty of human knowledge opens the possibility.

Last edited:
I believe that the essence of our being is spirit, the masculine part, and soul, its feminine counterpart. Being spirit and a spark of the Divine, naturally our true home is the world of spirit. That's where we come from at the beginning of each new earthly lifetime and to where we return when it has come to its end - one way or another. It makes no difference which way the death of our physical body comes about. There is nowhere else for anyone to go.
My inner guidance, the wise one or living God within, who knows the way of all things and the answers to every question we may ever care to ask, tells me that this is the truth. Therefore, it IS my truth - even if it were not anyone else's. With love - Aquarius :)

Last edited:
I don't believe in an after life as such, but in a continuous life with no ending called NOW. So I don't believe in death, just a change, one minute you have a body next you don't, the body dies, but you don't, you are the being that experiences the feeling, and you will continue to experience whatever feelings you choose to create. So if you're angry and sad and full of hate when your body dies, you will still be angry sad and hateful when you leave it, what you are Now will always be what you are Now, Now will not change, but you can change you Now. You can't change the past and you certainly can't change the future, all you have is Now and the power of choice.
An individual experience is much more powerful than an individual's belief

Last edited:

MarkahMalady

Without ego, a return to the collective consciousness. I can't wait to Rest In Peace.

I pretend to believe in hell, my abuser was never punished in this life so I make believe that's what became of him.

Without ego, a return to the collective consciousness. I can't wait to Rest In Peace.

I pretend to believe in hell, my abuser was never punished in this life so I make believe that's what became of him.
If you are withholding love light and Peace (hell) from your abuser, as part of the collective, you withhold it from yourself, forgive yourself for withholding love, live in peace and you will already be resting in peace.

Bergerac

Actually, I 100% believe in the Afterlife. For one thing, I have seen my late Great Auntie, who appeared to me within a year of her death.

Secondly, I started to see images of a particular place in my head and I started to wonder about past lives. So, I draw a picture of the place in my head (just a picture, I never relayed any other details to this woman, as I wanted to see what she objectively picked up). She picked up on all the details I had done and actually was able to go back in time and inhabit my body in my past life there. Another indicator of life after death.

May sound odd to those who have never experienced such a thing, and I totally understand if people don’t fully believe this. Just wanted to share my experience with you on this, after seeing this post.

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
My inner guidance, the wise one or living God within, who knows the way of all things and the answers to every question we may ever care to ask, tells me that this is the truth. Therefore, it IS my truth - even if it were not anyone else's. With love - Aquarius :)

Much like the cat in the box / Schrodingers Cat where if a cat is in a box whether it is alive or dead is dependent upon a persons belief and the ability of particles to exist in multiple states so both are equally possible (the experiment is not based on simply "you do not know so could be", it is based on subatomic particles can exist in multiple states at one time , and since all matter is made of subatomic particles therefore it could be simultaneously existing in multiple states as well, both living and dead).

I tend to think as mentioned above, "my truth" had more importance for any individual and it is their truth that a persons actions are based upon. The fact that what a person believes and what are persons says are not always one and the same, and the fact many people are not sure what they believe simply adds more mystery and interest.

No way to prove the existence of Heaven and Hell
Afterlife or something more than life/death is not dependent on the existence of heaven and hell as realities or concepts in any way.

While many point to science as the proof to their belief there is no afterlife, the existence of subatomic particles in multiple states at the same time can do more to aide in proving a soul or some other form of conscience or awareness outside of the typical physical body than to disprove it. On only the very most rudimentary level of science is thought and life explainable as nothing more than electric impulses and chemical reactions- none of that explains self awareness or conscience (not the good vs bad conscience- the very literal awake and aware conscience as opposed to simply an ongoing series of random electrical impulses and chemical reactions. The absence of the ability (thus far anyway) to make a computer or any other contrived machine or substance self aware despite the seemingly thorough knowledge of "the spark of life" theory where it has been repeated in labs to turn inanimate into animate matter does not result in conscience or awareness- simply a repetitive process of cell division.

The explanation that "awareness" is simply a matter of the electronic impulses leaving impressions - while yes- we can make electronic impulses leave an impression- feeding electric current through the brain causes feelings/ hallucinations/ pain/ etc, and obviously the same can be said of chemical reactions- but what is left out of that explanation is the "what are they making that impression on?" That is the conscience or self awareness that is being impressed upon by the electronic impulses or chemical reactions in many opinions.

For those interested in reading about multiple areas where science has begun to either support or make possible the existence of "life" as far more than simply reactions that start and cease (if you are nto into advanced physics which really have started to support the concept despite many attempts to disprove it) a google list -

Biocentism theory
Two slit experiment
Schrodingers cat
Quantum interference of large molecules/molecular octopus

All of these "science" and physics experiments prove that only through observation/memory are physical things effected on some levels - that many subatomic particles cease to exist without a conscience to observe them and that observation of something makes a physical change at a molecular and subatomic level- therefore "life" or conscience" is what ultimately determines how subatomic particles react, which determines atomic particle reactions, which determine molecular reaction etc etc etc- that conscience is the deciding factor in how things exist and how things are ordered in the universe.

My personal belief? Does not matter in the least, but much like the discussion of whether there is life on other planets somewhere in the universe, it is a mighty big universe and would sure be a pity if there were not. Perhaps better said by Arthur C Clarke, in reference to both afterlife and life on other planets- "Does it/Do they exist? Yes or no, both answers are terrifying." In explaining the un-explainable his thoughts were- "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". I find those statements to be very applicable and truthful. I find it highly unlikely things like personality can be defined as simply random electric impulses - and if that were the case then altering personality and conscience(good vs evil conscience), and values system would be unaffected by counseling and by things like loving parents, love, attachments to people, etc and instead would be effected far more by physical environment as opposed to emotional environment. The existence of mental pain and anguish or individuals on here while living in close proximity to all being "happy" around them as is so often stated simply makes no sense. The concept of feeling suicidal does not really even make sense lacking more to "life" than chemical reactions. It seems there would be far less diversity in small sets of people living and working and eating and existing in close proximity to each other as all would have the same limited chemical and electric reactions. All simply opinions. And I completely agree many things in the world make no sense.

Last edited:
I believe in God and angels.. but I'd like to think that when we die, it's just like falling into a deep sleep. Or who knows, if you get one a final, last dream which could possibly be "hell" if it's a nightmare or "heaven" if its a good one. I shudder to think that our consciousness might live on beyond our body though... because that feeling of the same sense of loneliness for infinity would be hard to bear. Nothingness would be the ultimate rest I think.

Before I tried to commit suicide the first time, I dreaded thinking about hell since I had sinned so many times, but after 3 times failing to kill myself, I think that there is no afterlife but a pure nothingness, and the thought the death and what comes after intrigues me. It's not fear any more but curiosity and hoping that what comes after death must be better than this life.
It must be.

NewFriend

AlanWatts once asked, "what about going to sleep and never waking up?"

Maybe what kind of afterlife one ends up in depends on what one has done (or has not done). But one thing I am sure about: There shouldn't be eternal punishment. What must somebody have done to deserve to be punished for ever? Seeking pleasure from consciously making others suffer? Even that, although it needs long punishment to be cured, can't be for ever.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Do you think there is No afterlife
I don't care. I can barely be bothered with caring about this life, which I'm currently stuck in. I don't know what happens after this meat sack collapses. Nobody does. But we know for a fact that people arise from the infinite nothingness when two people exchange bodily fluids, lol. That's pretty weird, isn't it? Why, it's almost like magic. And whenever and wherever magic exists, anything is possible. So...see you on the other side, maybe:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00