Do you think there is NO afterlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I share your view that our earthly existence is something quite magical and believe that without considering and being aware of its spiritual background, it is impossible to grasp. With love - Aquarius :)

bhawk

See I remember asking my mother if I was dead before I was alive when I was a kid and it stumped her.
I believe it was twain who being asked about death stated 'i was dead for an eternity before I was born and it didn't inconvenience me in the slightest.

I do not believe in an afterlife, I used to hope for it to be true, I didn’t like the idea of my existence ending with my death. But not anymore.

Not believing in an afterlife used to make my life feels more precious to me indeed. It made me wanna live longer and enjoy life to the fullest. However, once my depression kicked-in couple of years back, thinking about it now, I find it rather comforting to just cease to exist.

Last edited:

theedda

I know this story seemingly has nothing to do with the afterlife, but it has somewhat shaped my view on it.
I went to the creative writing society of my university last year and, shit, it stirred up some anxiety. The vast majority of the people there were talented, creative writing or english lit students, so they made my silly attempts at writing completely pale in comparison, and most of them seemed to know each other. I only had the courage to read out my work after one of the exercises, and the group's reaction was pretty much just "Mm, okay". I was riddled with anxiety the whole way through, regretting even showing up, and just wanted the thing to end. Needless to say, when I got out, I immediately grabbed for my cigarettes.
As I was smoking, I got really ill. Like... really ill and dizzy. My blood pressure, my anxiety, the cigarette... idk what caused it, probably a mix of all three. I just sat down on a bench on campus, in front of the store. Sat there for like half an hour and only got worse. Eventually, I thought I might be having a heart attack or a stroke or something. My mind and my thoughts were just fading away into nothingness. I thought I'd just slump down off my bench, and become a story in the next student newsletter about a student dying on campus. But nothing really happened, I just sort of recovered from it.

Anyway, not a literal near death experience but, that kinda made me feel like that's what death might be like. You just stop functioning, like a broken computer. At the same time, I've had other experiences, like remaining "lucid" while technically entirely unconscious with my eyes closed while I was a small child. So I don't really know. But I don't think I really believe in an afterlife anymore.

To be honest, I don't know if I'd even be comforted by one existing. Eternal life scares the hell (no pun intended) out of me, just as much as ceasing to exist. Reincarnation would be the only thing I'd be somewhat happy with, but even that is leaving behind everything you are in your current life to enter the next.

Aprilflowers7

I was dead for four hours when I was a baby because I had open heart surgery. That was how they did it at the time, they had to stop the heart. Sometimes I try to remember what happened to me during those four hours, but I don't think I'll ever know. It is like one big blank wall in my mind, even though I remember things as early as two, but I don't remember anything before those few memories that I had when I was two. And I remember my scar was really red for a very long time after that, but that's it, and sometimes I get weird things right that I'm not supposed to, like I started reading at an early age and I have diagnosed a few people with medical conditions that I wasn't supposed to know about, although they were just hunches, but still it happened more than once but I don't really know what happens after we die. I have read tons of books on the paranormal and Heaven.

. . . Reincarnation would be the only thing I'd be somewhat happy with, but even that is leaving behind everything you are in your current life to enter the next.
I believe that the law of life is love and evolution. The Universal law of Karma or cause and effect decrees that everything has to return to its source, so it can be reborn into a different life experience that moves us - if only a little bit - forwards and upwards on the evolutionary spiral of life, i.e. reincarnation. Without this there would be no evolution.

Cagla

romantic bastard
think we will merge with earth. And its beautiful though. Being an agnostic, I can't say there is. But I do doubt it. And if there isn't it is very very alienating for me...but nihilism doesn't help suicidal thoughts :(

I believe it's only our physical body that returns to Mother Earth and merges with her. The essence of our being is spirit and soul and they move on to the spirit realm, their true home, for rest and recuperation - until we are ready and feel strong enough to tackle another lifetime on the Earth. This cycle continues until our earthly education is complete and we are allowed to move on to lessons of a more elevated nature. That's the way I perceive it.

Aprilflowers7

I think the idea of an afterlife is horrendous, thinking for an eternity. I drove myself literally insane within 20 years, imagine an eternity of constant thinking. What a nightmare that would be.
Well, it is also possible that the entire universe could cease to exist after billions and billions of years. Including the afterlife. Not to be a downer or anything.

Even if the whole of the material aspect of the whole of Creation should one day disappear, the life of the spirit - the essence within in - is eternal and will never cease to exist. I believe it's quite on the cards that this could happen and maybe happened many times before, so that a fresh start could be made. Who knows?

I believe that there is only one God, the God of Love, and only one religion, the religion of love. Call Me by any name and I shall be there! I am eternal and immortal and because you are a spark of Me, that's what you also are. :)

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
I don't believe in any sort of "life" after death. I think when we die, we're gone. No awareness, no, consciousness, nothing. I wasn't aware of not being here before I was born, and I think it's the same after we die.

When the time is right, there comes a moment of awakening for every human being when we realise that there is a great deal more to our present existence than we used to think.

Do you think there is No afterlife? That after you die, there is absolute nothingness. After all, there's No way to prove the existence of Heaven and Hell. So it all comes down to individual belief.
So if you are a nihilist, how does it affect your attitude toward your present life? Does it make life more precious to you?
I believe and hope that there is no afterlife. If there is an afterlife, I don't see any reason to believe that it would be eternal bliss in any case. Unless you somehow had an 'afterlife brain' that was only capable of experiencing absolute bliss, eternal life would always end up becoming eternal torture as you'd eventually experience everything that there was to experience and be bored out of your mind.

You can't really do any better than non-existence in any case, because when you don't exist there aren't any needs which need to be satisfied. So whilst you aren't experiencing bliss, neither are you feeling deprived of it.

I'm certainly not a nihilist, because I think that suffering is important and I'm ethically opposed to the creation of sentient life on that basis.

I really really hope there is no afterlife. The main reason I haven't killed myself is because I'm afraid there is one, and I will just go from one horrible life to another one.

I think there is an afterlife but.. what baffles me is that people who've died and come back all have conflicting experiences :confused:

I believe there's an afterlife though because of strange experiences where I've felt the presence of invisible beings around me and from hearing other's 'paranormal' experiences.

Fleetw

I think the idea of an afterlife is horrendous, thinking for an eternity. I drove myself literally insane within 20 years, imagine an eternity of constant thinking. What a nightmare that would be.
From what I've read, those who don't want to live an eternity choose to reincarnate and live another life. That would also advance them spiritually. However, many love the afterlife and never get bored even for an eternity. I am probably the later. I would rather stay in paradise than live another life. Someone who had an NDE (near death experience) said, "It's hard down there." (Earth.) She is right; it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00