Do you think think that suicide attempts....

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by skyla, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyla

skyla Member

Do you think that suicide attempts..even one in a person's life can change a person irreversibly i.e change the person that they are forever, even maybe having an impact on the structure or future development of the brain?

I have been thinking about this alot today as I have made probably over 50 attempts in my life and I know that each one was a trauma in itself.

My first attempt was at 13, I then began attempting them later into my adulthood.

I suffer with Bipolar and have done for 7 years and I have found that my life has never really moved forward, ive lost many jobs, a home and two relationships in that time. I am now back at square one and feel even more hopeless than when I was a child....everyone else in my life just seems to get on with life and seem to be making alot more progress than me so I wonder that if it isnt the Bipolar thats held me back all these years, whether it was the contact fascination with killing myself.....what do you think?
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi Skyla. I'm sorry that you have to deal with Bipolar disorder. I think that my younger sister was bipolar, because she used to get very upset and angry for no apparent reason, but now she is doing a lot better and living a relatively normal life. The emotional highs and lows are definitely hard to deal with and make it hard to keep a job. :hug:
  3. flowingriver

flowingriver Well-Known Member

Hi Skyla, yes, I think that attempting suicide changes pathways in the brain. Anything we engage in builds new pathway in the brain, and makes it easier to do the next time.
    If you only engage in thoughts, then you might just stay in obsessions, or you may risk crossing over into actions.
    That is one reason I never act on my bad thoughts because no matter how harmless it may start out, human beings are creature of habits, and if they form a habit that is destructive, they tend to go back into it, even if it is destructive and will eventually kill them
    It seems once you try it, eventually you are more likely to return to that place if you are in distress again. If your experience in the first suicide attempt was so horrible that it downright turned you off from attempting again, count yourself lucky.
    It, to me, becomes a bad way of coping with problems that can set you up with a lifelong proneness to suicide.
    So it's not worth it to act on suicide thoughts.

But if one has a history of acting on suicide thoughts, and you have attempted at least once, it's better to fill your life with things that work for you, like good friends, hobbies, keep busy, and have at least one strong person in your corner who you can trust and will fight for you.
    Help others who are struggling.
    See suicide for what it is - the ultimate self-hatred, and a rejection of life itself.
    Suicide is ugly, it does not solve problems, it only makes you die in the despair that you are running from.
    Your state of mind in a suicide is dying in the very despair you are trying to escape.
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Wise words indeed flowingriver. It seems like if someone has attempted once before, it might be easier for them to try again, but if you have never tried it, then you are probably less likely to attempt. Suicide is ugly and is the ultimate rejection of life. I also believe that it doesn't solve any problems, because we are here for a reason and if reincarnation is true then you'll have to face the same challenges in your next life.
  5. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

I have had way too many attempts to count since I was a teen. Today I am 51. Attempts have had a very huge impact on my life. I was never treated until a few years ago and just recently diagnosed with bi polar. I was never a violent person. I just have mood swings from being very outgoing one moment to being a recluse the next.
    Attempts at suicide follow a person through med records forever. I haven't had an attempt this past year but the thoughts are there. I put trust into my docs and know one day I will get on the right cocktail of meds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.