Do you think this is true?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Daphna, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Can this be true in your life? I had heard it once that the definition of insanity is to continually do the same thing and expect different results. After looking into the word myself. I have found that this is not the definition by the book, but it still rang true in my life, and situations. I was depressed, and I continually did what my depressive moods demanded of me. I slept a lot, and I focused on all the negative thoughts in my mind. I barely ate, and I could hardly ever sleep.
    I became cranky, anxious, and stressed. Little did I know that when I deprived myself of food it made my situation worse, which played a main part into why I could not sleep. By sleeping all day and becoming less active my body and mind became weaker day by day. Yet as I did these things I wanted and expected my situation to get better. Would you think I was being insane for thinking this? I would. I needed food! Food gives me energy, and it fuels this awesome machine of a body that I have in order to survive. And yes I needed to be fed for my body to relax enough to sleep. Sleeping all day made it harder to want to sleep at night as well. All of these things made me stressed, but the answers were there the whole time. I needed to do what I had to regardless of the depression I suffered. I was letting it rule me. In reality it should have been me who ruled it. This is MY life we are talking about, and MY body. Why would I give up my control to this cloud of deception and darkness?? I wasn't even giving it a fight, I just allowed it to dictate me, and my actions yet I expected things to change and I wanted them to change. But I had the power to change them the WHOLE time. All I had to do is get up, dust myself off and try again. Anyways thanks for reading. Just wanted to share. Blessings..
  2. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I also rejected all negative thoughts and replaced them with positive ones. Life is full of opperatunites and promises. If I wanted a part of it, I had to do something about it. I could not just sit there and expect them to fall into my lap. It does take effort on our part. The world is huge, and the possibilites are endless. I had learned that it was me that was the only person who stood in the way, and I did something about it. I pray you do too. Blessings..
  3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Probably 95% or more of people in a clinical depression have disruptions in sleep and food intake (from too much to too little) and their mind is bombarded with catastrophic thoughts. There is no insanity or irrationality about daytime sleeping or having no desire to eat even though that behavior intensifies the depression. We all have a constant inner dialogue in our awake minds and when those thoughts are mostly horrific as a result of depression (OCD too in my case) it is almost impossible not to believe in them.

I don't believe you did anything remotely irrational. :hugtackles: What would be insane would be to keep reaching to pet a dog that keeps biting your hand and sending you to the hospital. :dog:
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Thanks for sharing the positive words with us Nicole. I agree that the only was to overcome depression is by taking control of you life and eating properly and getting the right amount of sleep. God helps those who help themselves. If someone wants to change their life, it will take effort on their part.
  5. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

WOW, what a GREAT post Daphna!!!! I agree with everything youy said .Magnificent!!!! It does seem at times the we give ou rpower over to the depression as if we keep it alive by our consent and it is like a thing. WOW you are so right!!!!
  6. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thank you for your kind words, but I have to say that this phrase: "God only helps those who help themselves," is no where in the bible. Yahweh helped me before and after I was saved. He even blessed me too, but it wasn't until I showed him with my actions on how serious I am about changing my life, did he begin to teach me, and enlighten on EVERYTHING, Blessings..

And thank you Marty I am only going by what I have learned. Blessings..
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.