Do you think you can be cured of your depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jul 21, 2009.

?

Do you think you can ever be cured of your depression?

1. No, never. I will be this way until the day I die.

58 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. No, but I think I may learn to cope a lot better with it than I have been doing, at some point.

56 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Yes, but it will be a long gruelling process and a very hard climb.

23 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Yes, completely. I am just going through a rough patch. I am not usually depressed.

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Just a question to some of the people out there.
    I personally do not think I will ever be cured of it, I think the main reason is because I am not convinced it is purely depression, I believe there is an underlying mental health issue there which is yet to be diagnosed.
    But even if I find there isn't, I sadly think I am just a 'depressive' person, I think I have been this way longer than I normally tell people (since age 13). I think I've just been generally down since I was a child. My Mum says I was a very quiet, overly particular three year old who would get very upset if I stained my outfit or if things weren't done properly, she says I used to stare at people often. I was probably staring at them wishing I had their lives!

Anyways rambling now, just would love to find out what other people think about their conditions.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think it can be cured. I think anyone can overcome depression. If it is just a chemical imbalance than medication can help. I think it's more due to things that have happened in our lives, and once they can be looked at and healed, I think any one of us can lead realatively happy lives.

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Thanks Spencer.
    I like to think so. Well... actually I bloody well hope so! lol. I really want to find I have depression, nothing else and I can find a cure after a lot of healing. That'd be the ideal outcome. Hopefully for a lot of others also.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No, I'm screwed for life... Bipolar sucks.

5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I just need some TLC from a certain person, and I will be fine. :smile: Really.

6. Aurora Gory Alice

Really? That's awesome. :)

But then again, if I could get some TLC from George Lamb I reckon that'd see me right. :giggle:

7. PaulSWBrum

PaulSWBrum Member

GP says mine is going to be a 10 year job - if I last that long...

8. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

not cured but managed.I was told when I was 17 that I would have to live with it.by someone who barely knew me,but I had trusted them.The problem with life is people do not realize their impact on others.

9. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

i think for me personaly i wont ever b 'cured' fully.. but i do think i can learn 2 cope with it better.. and hopefully th low times wont last 4 so long :unsure:

10. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

my public diary speaks for itself...

11. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I do better now and then, but I think this will aways be with me. Even my therapist agrees, and it's not even dysthymia - but because there are real issues at stake, currently, that would cause anyone to be depressed. I have times when I am not, and no medicine helps when I am. Which is probably good. It makes me stronger to get through each episode. It's healing, even if I don't like it. Like layers in an onion. But I think I will always have depression to some degree (though not always anxiety, I think that will go away when my hormones level out again). It's just part of who I am now. And I'm pretty okay with that part, in general.

12. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I think that I will always have depression...so I might as well learn ways to cope with it...I think its part of the cycle of life..some handle it better than others...

13. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yes,I think so. I don't know how exactly,but I'm quite hopeful that I won't always be suffering mentally.

14. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I will always be this way.. I have had problems since my first suicide attempt at thirteen.. I am fifty two now and don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.. My therapist says I will have to live with it for the rest of my life because it is deep rooted..Seeing her and taking my meds keeps me at a level where I can deal with how I am..

15. Menchi

Menchi Well-Known Member

Probably not no, i don't think there is a cure for life.

16. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

I dont think there is a cure, its how you deal with it makes it a make or break

dealt with and managed and you can lead a purfectly normal life, untreated/built up and you end up suicidal

17. cofmadness

cofmadness Well-Known Member

Who knows I guess, I'm not bi polar. but I've been in such deep depression for so long I feel like even if things get better the burden of my past will always be on my shoulders...

18. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

I don't think cured, but hopefully I will deal with it a lot better in the future, maybe find some meds that work better.

19. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but I think I will be on medication, like a diabetic or heart patient, for the rest of my life. I love my life when I am on meds. I have tried twice now to come off and well it doesn't work for me. My therapist said I don't need to come at all because my problem at this juncture is biologically driven, some 30 thousand dollars later..geez.

I think for most it is just a matter of getting coping skills and working through issues and medications ease the pain so they can work through the issue and then move on.

I am a lifer!!!

BTW I love this topic, very thought provoking.

20. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I do think my depression can be cured, but yet, I have made no effort to cure it since I got it four years ago and joined this forum. I have not gone out and make changes to my life, I have been complacent, instead of making footprints in the sand of time, I'm making a big "buttprint" in the sands of time, making very little progress, falling behind my peers and this just makes my depression worse and worse.

There is a large part of me that says I will eventually commit suicide, probably before age 30 so what is the point of getting better, or that I cannot be cured. I tell myself I will always be alone and miserable so I must commit suicide, but maybe I can get a girlfriend, wife, kids, a normal life if I TRY? I just don't know for sure.

I should at least try, go to some psychologists as my dad has offered but I have refused. My depression itself is trying to stay in my head, it doesn't want me to defeat it.

My depression is not chemical, it is because of my pathetic circumstances, where I have dug my own deep, dark hole of despair and misery. And I'm sure I can come out. I understand now when some people on this forum say they have gotten used to their depression and just cannot imagine being normal and happy, being without their depression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.