Do You Think You Have Ever Truly Been In Love?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Perfect Melancholy, Apr 21, 2013.

Have You Ever Been In Love & do You Believe In Love?

1. Yes, I have been

27 vote(s)
  2. No Never

17 vote(s)
  3. I don't believe in love

3 vote(s)
  4. No never, and I don't believe in love

6 vote(s)
  5. Yes. but not know and I don't believe in love anymore

9 vote(s)
  6. I am in love right now

18 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

simple really, and curious, and well do you believe in love?
  2. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Yes I've loved and been loved. Thanks Perfect M. It was probably before most members were born but The memory brings a smile.
  3. Kirovski22

Kirovski22 Active Member

I thought I did but love is a strong word which I no longer use unless very loosely. Like "I love your hair". I could never 100% love someone or dedicate myself to someone easily
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

No one has ever loved me and no one ever will, because of how screwed up I am. No one has ever been able to deal with my issues or even taken the time to understand them.
  5. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I've never even had a proper crush. I'll be single for all of my life.
  6. I have been in love. Despite some of the awful things I did to her, the ways I hurt her we're unforgiveable. I hated our relationship, I hated myself. But I loved her more than I ever loved another human being. I am still in love with her, and I don't think that will ever change. That's the power love has. It's a wonderful, terrible thing that hurts as much as it brings positivity into your life. You cannot control or manipulate it. It just is, and once you experience it, you will never forget it.

We are both with other people, and we have moved on from the relationship. But I hate that there is someone else holding her, doing the things with her that we shared. It's like being punched in the stomach everytime I think about it. We will always be connected that way. And if she ever needed me, I would be there in a heart beat. I don't need to be in a relationship with her to have that. She will always, always be in my heart, and that will never change.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
  7. Big M

Big M Well-Known Member

I think love is a very dangerous thing, honestly. The older I get, the more I realize it. It's nice when it is there, but I have too many problems to think about it and I don't think it is the end all be all or the secret to happiness in life as I once did.
  8. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

not me.. as sad as it is, i believe i've not had that experience
  9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Sure, a few times. But it's definitely nowhere near as good as being loved by someone else. I don't think I've ever been loved by anyone who wasn't family. I'd rather be loved by another than be in love alone.
  10. SevenEleven

SevenEleven Active Member

Yes, I have. It is completely gone now, for both of us, and that's how I ended up here. It's not all bad, I do like this place.

I wish true love to all who seek it. It may not be today or tomorrow, but someday. You'll find it.
  11. Will

Will Staff Alumni

I really believe so. But losing it was one of the most detrimental and damaging periods of my life - and even now I still have thoughts about it. It's a wonderful experience but the blade cuts both ways, 'cause it's not often you find it again.
  12. Big M

Big M Well-Known Member

Well said. I find that the only people that really love at least me in life end up being family.
  13. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Waste of time. It never lasts, so what's the point?
  14. Big M

Big M Well-Known Member

I'm with ya.
  15. ava321

ava321 Active Member

i am right now. i can't even compare a past relationship to this. it really is that cliche of "you just know." i've never loved somebody so much before in my life.. and he loves me back, so intensely. he reminds me everyday.

except.. it's long distance at the moment and it is rough :(
  16. marklondon

marklondon Well-Known Member

Waste of time because it never lasts? Nothing ever lasts forever. That doesn't mean everything is a waste of time.

I've been in love twice. But only once in my life have I experienced the far more profound love that can follow that initial 'being in love'. The kind that makes you really want to spend the rest of your life dedicated to someone, come what may.

Unfortunately for me, it ended in complete disaster.

Do I regret it? No more than I regret being born. It's painful, but what's the point regretting it? Somehow, I have to believe there's some kind of reason in all this.
  17. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I am in love so yes, I believe in love. I also believe in infatuation however, and believe it is easy to confuse the two (I know - I have done it).

It is hard to learn the difference between really genuinely loving someone, and loving the idea of not being alone.

I am unsure that I believe in unconditional love. Possibly parents feel this for children; I could not say from my own family experiences. I believe most love comes with conditions - and I fear the day when those conditions become impossible for me to meet.
  18. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I have been and still am, long term. True love never ends. I have been married about 35 years - still married. I love my wife and I love my children.

It takes a lot of work, as does life. If you work hard at it, it has rewards.
  19. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

I was and I let it go, a long time ago. Now I do not love myself enough to contemplate feeling that way about anyone else. I went on a date for an experiment the other day, because it has been so long I thought I should make the effort, and it wasn't just that there was no spark between us, but that there is no spark in me at all, I have no motivation or desire to connect emotionally with anyone in a romantic context and I was (dully) surprised to realise this.

For the first time in my life, the notion of the possibility of falling in love doesn't cheer me up, or give me any hope.

I am just completely uninterested. Nothing at all makes me happy anymore. (That'll be the depression, then. :) )

I didn't mean to write such a long answer, it just sort of came out.
  20. I.Nimene

I.Nimene Member

I currently am, this is the only time that I have been.