Do you trust your doctor?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Perfect Melancholy, May 18, 2014.

?

Do you trust your doctor

1. yes

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Do you trust your doctor, from personal experience not just with MH issues, but other illness I do not trust mine it has gotten to the point I just do not go anymore as I cannot believe them. I know they are paid to help etc, and well there might be good doctors out there I just have never met one.

Which belies the problem, if you cannot trust your doctor how can you get better and fix what is wrong, or will that just never happen.............

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You find a new doctor like i did you find one that you do trust that listens and cares

3. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

you nhs or private?

my experiences here in uk, fluxo or citalopram and cbt for every issue ever. so i did it and it fails but easier for them to say try again and tick their dang boxes and not suggest anything else so i also stopped going

4. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

I wish it were that simple, I have found even moving 200 miles the doctors are the same wondering if it is in fact me with the problem

yep totally agree with that, interesting on the therapy I got told the demand was so big the NHS could not cope and had pulled it all together for men so had to pay if I wanted it

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I trust my GP, but I do not trust my psych.

6. scaryforest

i got told the same! and had to wait 10 months and by that time i forgot what i was even there for. totally blew

every doc i have had here is so unprofessional also
    i am beginning to develop belief it's the culture.

cbt and that, it's all for short term problems they said to me.
    where else have you sought help other than doctors? idk if this question makes sense

7. scaryforest

Butterfly, interesting. was the opposite for me

8. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Never, waste of time.

9. Johnny Messina

Johnny Messina Well-Known Member

No, my doctor is an idiot.. He doesn't even try to hide it.. But it's ok because he'll do anything I tell him or some other doctors(private doctors that check me up) tell him to do..

10. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I trust my GP about as far as I can throw him.

11. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Or, there are those of us who lack a regular doctor. That's not good, at age 50. Trusting them? They are not gods, and can and do get things wrong. This has happened to me in distant pasts when I've been prescribed phenothiazine antipsychotics (drugs belonging to the Thorazine class), even though severe and irreversible side effects such as tardive dyskinesia are risked by taking them. This wasn't just once, but at least 3 or 4 times. I think it's very unlikely I ever really needed these kinds of drugs, as I don't hallucinate.

But what's the alternative? Witch doctors? Amulets instead of antibiotics if you get pneumonia? I am grateful that modern medical care exists. I'm willing to trust that a doctor knows more about my health questions than I do, as a general rule.

12. sidster95

sidster95 Member

No way in hell!

13. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I had a good relationship with my GP until she drug tested me without my knowledge and of course it came back clear but that's not the point. I don't trust her anymore and certainly do not trust my new psych. But at the end of the day I am able to rationalize with myself and feel better and don't need them too much.

14. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Hypochondriacs don't trust any doctor.

15. Concrete_Angel

Concrete_Angel Forum Buddy

Half and half. I trust my doctor about general things but not about personal things.

16. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

No which is why i never told them about my problems even though they knew by the way they were acting and ensured they could help me. At the time i just felt they were going to blab to parents and the psychiatrist i saw i wanted to tell but she was quite forward about how i should get help from my college and my dad was with me which i didnt want - even though he only wanted to help he didnt understand that i felt embarassed and ashamed and that even with the most apparent assurances i still wouldnt say the truth. Maybe ill go back soon now that im old enough to do it on my own

17. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I do. My psychiatrist has really tried to help me, but all that she can do is prescribe meds. It's not their fault that the meds aren't working for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.