Do you trust your net friends?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Broken trust, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken trust

Broken trust Guest

Do you trust that people keep your secreds in the net?
    I mean that anyone can hack pm:s and other stuff or your friends just send them forward to people for who you do not want to tell your things. Do you trust others or do you just keep your secreds out of the net? Have you ever catched someone who have break your trust?

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Well i don't go around telling personal things to just anyone.

Those people that i have built strong relationships with, yes i do trust them.

Fortunately i've not had my trust broken and i hope i don't have to. I am fairly eclectic with those who i choose to associate though.

3. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Chat Buddy

I haven't had my trust broken, although I do worry about it. It used to worry me so much I got very ill because of it but since getting help I don't let it affect me so much.
    Like Domo I don't just tell anyone personal things about myself, but I understand where you're coming from, it can be difficult to really know over the net but I have developed some really strong relationships and I do truely trust those people I consider very good friends.

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm extremely careful who I trust. There are very few people online that I trust with anything personal, but the people that I do trust have proven themselves numerous times.

5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I was too trusting and got hurt bigtime online so have learnt a lesson there..
    someone pulled a huge scam on me.....
    made me be more careful who I trust now...

6. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

there are a certain few that i trust online with my life. But im still careful.

7. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly!

8. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

You should never trust your net friends.

9. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate?

10. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Like Bambi :) i trust her with my life... :hug:

11. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm curious about why you feel that way. There are a select few people online that have proven themselves more trustworthy to me than the people I know IRL. I think it all depends on an individual's situation and the people they are in contact with.

12. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Honestly I find it hard to trust people, In real life and online there are very few people who know me well.

From a personal point of view I find it easier to talk to people online, It seems like I can distance myself and feel safer I know that I cannot see there look or feel any hate from them unless they of course said it.

In real life I don't talk much unless I have had a drink or know the people, at the end of the day you get out what you put in, I try and help people and build that trust it is a two way street, and it would hurt me if someone did not trust me but then I would also understand and respect that.

13. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I was outed by a net friend.

It was accidental, but he should have known better. Careless, not malevolent.

14. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I'm with this person. At the end of the day, they are net friends, after all; they don't know you, and they don't have a personal investment in you. They'll do whatever they can to hurt you when the opportunity is presented, and if it makes them feel better about themselves. That's how it is. It doesn't matter a pinch whether they feel bad about it afterward because when it happens, the damage is already done.

15. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Looks like my trojan horse has nicely infiltrated Alison :lol!: Blackmail time!

But yea, i can count the number of net people i trust with one hand.

16. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I had a bad experience with someone online so I am very careful now whom I associate with. Not everyone is whom they appear to be. That being said, I have made some good friends whom I trust with my life.

17. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I don't really tell people things- if I think that it somehow might get out. There's a chance of that as long as I'm telling anyone other than myself... so I won't bother telling anyone things that are that dark.

...or my credit card number. I won't tell anyone that information, either.
    XD
    I'm just a distrustful person in general- so please, no one take it personally.
    I don't even trust my own mother, although she's the most precious person in my life right now.
    If something can get me into trouble or hurt my reputation or whatever-- I won't say it to anyone.

18. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I don't have secrets as such. ...but when it comes to trust, when I'm feeling unwell and am approaching an individual, rather than letting out on this forum- I'm with Alison. The few people I do approach when I'm at that point, is an indication of how much I do trust them with my feelings, as I'm not one to do such a thing too often nowadays (or any day in the past)..

19. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I can understand why one would hold this point of view however it is very biased.

I don't think it is fair to make a generalisation as you have.

I for one, take great pride in treating people with respect and care. Those small few of my very close net friends (and i would like to add here that the internet has become such a common meeting place that i don't think it is accurate to place online relationships into a lesser category) i do have a personal investment in and i genuinely do love them. I would never intentionally cause harm to anyone.

I am sorry that you've had experiences that have led you to hold these points of view but i hope you don't forever close yourself down to the possibility of there being genuine people out there who aren't just out to use you as a stepping stone to their own gratification (whatever it may be).

20. frostbitten1997

frostbitten1997 Account Closed

There are some that i trust with my life,only because we have shared so much with each other.So far they havent let me down and i havent let them down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.