"Do you value justice higher than mercy?"

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Feb 23, 2011.

?

Do you value justice higher than mercy?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I was prompted to take this Briggs-Meyer quiz for fun, and this was one of the questions to which I'm supposed to answer only yes or no. I'm still stuck on it.

Do you value justice higher than mercy? Intentionally leaving out a third response option so you, too, are limited to responding with only yes or no.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's a hard question to answer. I think yes? Some don't deserve mercy... But I don't much care for justice, though. My main concern when it comes to matters of crime and punishment is to protect the innocent in the future, not bring justice to the previously-harmed or punish the perpetrator without the goal of reform.

Huh, I guess that thinking that through, I value mercy far more than justice, since I don't value justice at all, and I don't want criminals to be victims in their own right, victims to the courts. I think an ideal prison will have no people on drug charges - they're victims of both drugs and the courts - and be closer to a vocational school than a place of punishment (I believe many, many crimes are the result of poverty; violent criminals not driven by need would continue to be in places of punishment.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2011
  3. Prinnctopher's Belt

4. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

without going into too deep a thought....... cos it gets me in trouble

i voted mercy, glad others have too so i know im not weird

probably would be useless as someone in charge though-me that is..

5. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with what's in bold although someone may unconsciously believe that their form of 'justice' is protecting people in the future when in reality it may just be justifying or rationalizing their self involved interests.

I got a DUI a few years back after totaling a car alone(no one was was involved other then me) I was not in a state to drive and there were some rude remarks thrown my way so I left upset this one club upset. I been through a lot around that time, and even went through more due to me leaving in that upset case.. I'd rather not go into it all but yeah... Eventually the case got thrown out, despite me not being convicted I learned my lesson. I even self reflected around that time and recognized some of my prior mistakes when I was younger, this isn't a comfortable feeling.

Anyways back the the driving while intoxicated story, the last time I even went out drinking I got my dad to drive me down there because that was the responsible thing to do this was 2 years ago. So while I may not have been charged with it on my record it helped me be more conscious of what I was doing. I did drive a couple times or so 2 years prior to my last time going out after having 2 or 3 beers, but being a 200lb plus guy that isn't going to put you over the limit.

To me mercy vary's on a case by case basis, for example Phillip Zimbardo argued in defense of one man who was a prison guard in Abu Ghraib prison. He said that the situation and the system(external influences) contributed to some degree to his acts. Not that he wasn't responsible and should have done things differently, however the judge ignored the Dr's testimony giving the man no mercy by handing down the maximum possible 8 year sentence.

Our current society often focuses too much on the individual while not considering other factors in the situation. This isn't to say people aren't responsible at all for their wrong doings or misdeeds, however factors can be mitigating, deserving of some mercy. When you see someone acting in a certain way, especially in western society we tend to think it's more because of 'how they are' versus their situation which you may know very little about if anything, as well as not knowing how that person is interpreting that situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

After the long time I've been thinking of this question since I made this thread, I think that I have made up my mind.

7. Prinnctopher's Belt

I just thought of all the things I've ever done that could be thought of as repulsive or a "bad" thing to do, I asked myself, "would I want what is justice, or would I want mercy?" The answer became clear.

8. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

you bumped! :O

9. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

what is the answer then princ. - is it mercy?:blink:

10. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I voted no because sometimes I think justice is another word for blood war and vengeance killing.

I kill your brother because you blocked my imports (which kills my business), then you killed my brother in response, then I killed a group of your friends (by accident, i only meant to kill a couple), then you kill my parents, then.... repeat. We both have kids that survive. They see the bloodshed. Then we die of old age. The kids don't remember where it all started. They just know they have to keep fighting to keep their family alive. They trade shots with each other the same way we did. On and on...

An eye for an eye would make everyone blind. Blind justice is too stupid for its own good.

I would not make a good judge because I always look for the positive in people. I want to know the source of the wrongdoing, but I believe that the source of wrongdoing goes far deeper than what people outwardly express through their actions. I am biased this way. It's hard to explain. I don't believe in good or evil. I believe in a dynamic-equilibrium universe always on the edge of chaos. It can go for tens of thousands or more of years with near steady-state conditions. Then, in a short time, by comparison, everything can change and species/things can be on brink of extinction. But looked at from a larger context (cosmic), things are closer to steady-state. But maybe universes outside this one can interact with it and cause rapid disruptive changes on universal scales. It's a local, relative effect.

BUT if my father had wronged someone else and then they approached him and shot him, I would react on impulse and shoot them if I could. So a lot of this is out of our control. We just do not know enough, nor can we easily control instinct. On the plus side, I do not carry a gun. But there might be situations where it would be useful for self-defense. But still...

In the end, we're animals and there's a lot of things beyond our control. There're several times more cells in our body that're non-human than human. We're full of cells with brute-force intelligence. In the broad scheme of things, we're slaves to the massive numbers of cells in our body that need energy and nutrients to respire and reproduce. Independent thoughts are a luxury, in all reality.

I do not believe in god because if there was a god, god would care about deer, moose, mice, bacteria, viruses and other living organisms and complex organisms equally as much as he cares about us. God wouldn't just give US an after-life. That's Anthropocentrism. Not to mention we know next to nothing about life elsewhere in the universe yet we're ready to claim ourselves worthy of an after-life.

If it makes you sad to read my post then maybe you need to review what makes you happy - w/o your rose-tinted glasses.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  11. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I answered no because I value humanity. And maybe justice is a principle we must only make ourselves respect. Blur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.