Do You Want To Get Better?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by LetItGo, Apr 6, 2007.

?

Are you actively trying to get better? (Multiple Choice)

1. No, Ive done nothing, and I dont think I even want to get better. On the edge and no turning back.

12 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. No, Ive done nothing about my depression/suicidality, but I do want to get better

14 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. Yes, Seen a doc

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Yes, Seen a doc and on meds

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. Yes, Seen a doc, on meds, and seeing a psych

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. Yes, Seen a doc, on meds, seeing psych, making lifestyle changes

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  7. Yes, Seen a doc, on meds, seeing psych, therapies (eg CBT), making lifestyle changes

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Yes, Seen a doc, on meds, seeing psych, therapies (ex CBT), support groups, making lifestyle changes

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. Yes, Ive tried everything you can imagine, and nothing works

12 vote(s)
    16.9%
  10. Yes, Ive tried some/all of those measures, and it certainly helps

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Ok...this thread is going to provoke some controversy. :unsure:

A little background history on Matty...:smile:

For many, many years, since I was about 17 I've lived with depression, and for the longest time I simply fought a silent war between myself and "it". A war that I still havent won.

For years I didnt get help, I didnt even think about getting help, I just presumed this was me, and my lot in life. A lot of my problems are based around fear. Much of that fear was created, and nourished, in my school years where I was treated as a leper by the vast majority of people, for a variety of reasons. My relationship with my father has played a central role, and my hopelessness around woman...has also played another key role.

When I went to Uni things were somewhat differant, I had quite a few friends and did things socially, but there was still this feeling of being "differant", of being "inferior". Combine that with my anxiety and natural shyness around people, and you have an explanation for why I have lived in isolation for a good proportion of my life.

The last few months on this site has been quite a journey for me. Ive confronted my past, and yes I still live with it every single day, it still tortures me, "the lost years", "the wasted years". I also think about the future, sometimes positive...sometimes negative, but what I can say, is that I have taken some steps to overcome my problems.

- Seeing the psych
    - Taking medication
    - Getting out more
    - Exercise.

Some of these things are recent developments, some of them ive been doing for quite a while now, and some of them ive been doing off and on over the last few months.

Please, PLEASE dont take YEARS like I have before you starting getting some help...its time that you can never, ever get back. :sad:

So my question to fellow SF'ers is.

1) Do you want to get better?
    2) Are you actively trying to get better?

The poll is multiple choice. For example you might select option (4) and (10)

4) Yes, Seen a doc and on meds
    10) Yes, Ive tried some/all of those measures, and it certainly helps

PLEASE BE HONEST WITH YOUR ANSWERS, PLEASE SELECT THE MOST APPROPRIATE ONE!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I've never seen a doc - I dont need meds, but yeah, I do wanna get better. And yes, I do see a psych.. and dare i say I *am* getting better :unsure:

3. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

Ok, and what if you saw a doc, taking meds, seeing a psych, making lyfestyle change, but dont want to get better :unsure: ???

4. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I've done nothing, unless you count a few visits to the schoolpsychologist, acting all happy ("hi, yes I'm doing fine, thank you" "yes, it seems to be going better every week, I guess it was just a phase.."), as 'doing something'.
    And no I don't feel the need to get any help either, as I'm a lost cause.

5. systamatics

systamatics Active Member

no matter wat i do am still the same shit , theres no use :(

6. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I want to but I don't think I ever will. I'm tired of hearing professionals tell me that it'll improve when it doesn't. Slowly, day by day, the little hope that I have gets smaller. :sad:

7. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

I haven't told about my depressed moments and mental pain to anyone else than discussed something with my friend. I hope this all will pass away without need of psych or meds, because it would be huge step to tell my relatives about my feelings. Everyone thinks depression is bad thing and something to shame. They don't want insane relative.

8. morden

morden New Member

i go thru the motions of seeing a pdoc, therapist, taking meds. i don't know why i do it. maybe because i feel like it's what i'm supposed to do. i think it's all pointless. i want to just "survive my life". sounds like an oxymoron. basically to me, it means to just live out my days until the end comes or until i decide it is time for it to end.

9. Nosmanic

Nosmanic Active Member

I really like this thread. :biggrin: I like to know how people are dealing with depresssion or if they aren't and how it stands what the people on SF want.

I don't really want to feel better, if my life isn't going to get better.

10. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

No offence to people who have said this, but i think n e 1 who says they dont want to get better is lying. Some people have given up, some people dont see that they will ever get better, but u cant tell me that n e 1 wants to feel depressed...its the worst feeling in the world!
    I personally have been getting a bit better. I still have my days, but thanx to my angel i kno that life is worth living and that things dont always have to b this way.
    Take care everyone :smile:

11. Jawa

Jawa Guest

I tried to get help from the NHS many times but was turned down for treatment. So I just do things to help myself feel happier and research into natural medications/lifestyle choices to help me feel better.

12. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

I'm on anti-depressants. I've started cbt. But this commitment to the psychiatrist started when I was still in pain. Now, it's just an obligation that I uphold for the doctor's sake. I can't think of any other reason I go back. I'm ok like this. To be desensitized. It's a defining point when one ceases to care about anything. The future, the pain, love, sadness family, friends, death... I just don't care.

13. poison

poison Well-Known Member

i've seen a doc and am on meds.

14. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

I feel rather indifferent to getting better. It's a nice thought but I guess in a way I don't really have the energy to put the effort in. I'm always just trying to get by. That's good enough for me right now I suppose.

15. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

16. oh crap i dont fit into any of the boxes :cry:

17. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

I want to want to get better. Heh.

18. Pneuma

Pneuma Guest

I do want to get better. I want to be happy and successful. I want to be outgoing and to be surrounded by friends. I want to have self worth. I want a degree and a well paying job and a house and a happy, healthy long-term relationship with someone.

I've been struggling with depression since I was about twelve. I've changed my life and I've been on four different meds and have seen half a dozen therapists. The quality of my life has gotten better since I was twelve but my ideal life feels so out of reach. It feels like the best I can ever aspire to is mediocrity.

19. kath

kath Well-Known Member

ive tried meds.ive tried many psychs.Now they wont give me either.i dont blame them.i understand.....

.....You see for me getting better is getting dead.There is nothing they can do.

20. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yes,I do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.