Do you WANT to stop self harming?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ruby, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I guess I want to stop. Infact I do want to stop (at this moment at least) but it seems impossible. How can I stop something that I love? How can I stop doing something I've done for over three years? It's part of my life. I get pleasure looking at the injuries I've inflicted upon myself. The deeper the better. The bigger the burn the better. I cut, stratch, burn and sometimes, in frustration, I bash my head against the wall/punch things. It's weird that something 'self destructive' can help more than human love. How can a knife offer more than people? At the same time it's horrible. Destroying your own flesh, having scars, being secretive. Since I've been cutting, I've almost become like an addict. I started off using fairly blunt objects and I progressed onto blades and knives. I hate myself for it, but I can't stop. How can you stop something you love? Something that loves you back.
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Do I want to stop SI-ing? No. Do I want to feel better? Yes.

I figure that when I am better from all this crap, then I will not feel the need to harm, and it will be natural to stop. So when it is right to stop, it will happen.

Any SI is essentially a symptom of inner pain, so if you deal with the pain the symptoms will fade and disappear.

Do you have any professional help? Maybe that is a good way to go. Then, oner time, with the right help and therapy, your need will fade, and the craving will fade as you start to feel better.

If you want to stop, you can. It won't be easy, or quick, but you can stop and you can feel better and like you don't need it anymore.

Keep fighting and you will get there

Take care
  3. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

Oh, this is exactly the question I keep asking myself at the moment. I am trying to stop again at the moment (about 4 1/2 months free-longest ever) and I've been thinking yes, of course I want to stop, of course I can do it this time, but now, I don't know. I SI for punishment more than anything else, I don't think of myself as any better a person than I did when I SI'd so I keep asking myself do I deserve not to SI. The answer is always no. I know I deserve the punishment and 'getting away with it' makes me feel sick. I haven't given in yet because I'm just clinging onto some hope that it will be better and worth it. And anyway, stopping now isn't going to magically get rid of my scars, so I can live with myself because at least I know that I have been punished and I can see that.

I understand what you mean about being addicted. I've SI'd for 6 or so years but only in the last 3 have I got really addicted. My advice really would be that although it seems impossible and daunting, really try to stop if you can. Whenever you find yourself thinking 'this cannot get any worse', it can and probably will (in my experience anyway). My other piece of advice would be to try and find things to replace it, strategies that help in certain situations etc before stopping as it makes it a whole lot easier.

4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Let me put it this way..

Sometimes I really want to stop. Other times, I really don't want too..
  5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I agree with you saying it could get worse; I only started cutting deep last summer. I wish they had more resources dedicated to self harmers.
  6. Lost Disciple

Lost Disciple Well-Known Member

I wanted to stop, then I didn't, and now I don't care one way or another. Sure, it's nearly sports season, and sure I'll probably get caught, and sure, I'm trying to stop, but if I know it's the only thing that will help me and I can't think of anything else, I'll still do it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.