Doctor question!

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SaraRose, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

So I'm planning on trying to see the doctor on my next day off. But I've reading posts here about quesitons they ask and it scares me. One question I've seen people say are asked is, "Have you had thoughts of hurting yourself."

I have had suicidal thoughts before, though I know I won't act on them mainly because I'm too chicken to. I hate pain. I can't stand even a needle stick.

But if I answer truthfully would that get me in further trouble? I don't wanna have them tell me I can't go home because of that answer. I mean I'm still gonna go, but if he asks that question would it be an answer that could get me locked up? I got my reputation at work to not let get soiled.

So yeah would it hurt me to answer right? I mean I'm not right now. But if I was to answer truthfully I would have to say that in the past I have...I refuse to if it means that I would be put into a hospital.

2. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

hun. honestly. your life is worth more than you job. you can always get another job. if depression affects your performance, you will loose your job eventually anyhow or not advanced your career at best. I know many, many people with high powered jobs who are also treated for depression.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Anyone can think about suicide and have passing suicidal thoughts but as long as you don't have a plan and actively want to hurt yourself they won't hospitalise you. It is common in depression to feel that way. Don't be scared you will be fine. Be as honest as possible because in the long term it will help your recovery xxxx

4. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

Nothing negative will really happen, I answered yes and I've never ended up in the psych ward or anything.

5. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm hoping to find the strength to ask for the help that I need. I know the question seemed stupid....but that's just my anxiety that freaks me out to the point where I don't wanna do stuff because I just keep seeing the worst...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.