Doctor Refuses to Help?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Jawa, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawa

Jawa Guest

My doctor never actually helps me when I go to see him about my suicidal urges or major depression. A couple of times he's referred me to the local psychiatrists, but they never do anything either (last time I waited for help for 5 months from one psychiatrist, every time I saw it was like coming round for a cup of tea and chat, she mainly talked about herself, was so disinterestedi n me she forgot important things about me like my name, age, etc. So I gave up with those people). Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to get help? It took me years to finally admit my problems to my family, they want me to get help, but the NHS just ignores me and them (my family have also come to the doctors with me many times to try and get me help).

I'm a very smiley person who cracks jokes a lot and enjoys helping people, people seem to presume just because I act like that I'm fine, they just ignore/cut out whenever I have problems or one of my "bad days". Just because I don't cry or mope around doesn't mean I'm okay. :mellow:
  2. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

For me it came down to finally seein a psychologist, not a family doctor/counsellour/psychiatrist, but the greatest help I have had is from a psychologist... dont know if that would be a route for you but an option to consider.
  3. sorry_mozart

sorry_mozart Well-Known Member

Hi Jawa. I know what you're going through. You're not alone. There was quite a lot of discussion on these boards recently about how difficult it is to get help through the NHS - check out the 'Fighting the NHS' threads that a. I couldn't even get a referral to a psychiatrist - there just aren't the resources in my area. All the GP can do is prescribe anti-depressants, which just don't work for me. Even when I ended up in hospital through self-harm, I was told that I was 'too sensible' to have to talk to a psychiatrist, and that there was nothing they could do other than stitch me up and send me on my way. In a way I'm lucky though, because I'm a university student and they have a great counselling service and have managed to get a referral to a psychiatrist though that. I'm seeing that person tomorrow, though I'm pretty sure right now I'm a hopeless case.

All I can suggest is to keep trying, keep working the system and keep standing up for yourself. I know how hard it is, especially if you are stressed and don't have a great deal of confidence, and depression is a disease that makes you even question whether you deserve help. The more different doctors you see the more likely you are to bump into one who can get you the help you need. Also try going through some of the mental health charities, perhaps.

Good luck,
  4. LeaveMeAlone

LeaveMeAlone Well-Known Member

hiya maybe talk to me on msn or something i can try and give you some tips, but the sad truth is, you might have to play dirty.

it's so fucking awful i know.
  5. Jawa

Jawa Guest

Thank-you so much, I will keep trying like you said. :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.