Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Harassment Panda, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harassment Panda

Harassment Panda New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to go to the doctors for the first time tomorrow to discuss how I've been feeling. For the past few years I've been going through this alone but something has come up with uni that requires me to have a doctors note (I need extra time because I broke up with my long term partner and spent three weeks in bed during term time)

I'm not really too sure how to start off the conversation of how I have been feeling and that the past few days I have wanted to end my life. Has anyone had any good first experiences with doctors and is it easy to get a doctors note? I hate how my university require a note in order to grant me the three weeks I lost during my 'down time'.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

If you tell the doctor you have been under the weather not well and depression I cannot see any reason why you would not get a note.
    Sorry to hear you broke up with your partner and it's been so rough but try and remain strong, be honest with the doctor and they can and will help you.
    When I first saw my doctor, she had to come see me because I could not leave the house and she and a psych nurse decided to prescribe me an anti d. It was a great first appointment and I hope yours goes as well as mine did. Good luck to you!
  3. Starting Over

Starting Over Active Member

If you are honest about your depression/suicidal thoughts, I think there is a good chance you could get a note. You could also try talking to your professors one-on-one about any missed work. Sometimes people can surprise you and are understanding (I'm not saying you should divulge your exact issues to your professors, but maybe try to work out some other general arrangement to catch up on missed class/work).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.