Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Decode, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Has your doctor ever asked you whether you are having suicidal thoughts?
    My asked doctor asked me the other day and i panicked and said no. What do they do if you say yes, don't they section you if they think your at risk to your self.
  2. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

I cannot say I would know. However, it sounds like you have a really good doctor there. Next time I would tell the truth. Your doctor wants to keep you healthy. I wish I had a doctor who would do that for me.
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Sectioning is the very last resort, and its an extreme which means it rarely happens.

Often they will refer you for some support and help and hopefully they will offer you some help that will help ease how you feel.

If they feel hospital might benefit you then they normally give you the chance to go in voluntarily before sectioning. However, generally that doesn't happen, as I said, because its a complete extreme.

Why did it panic you when he asked you? Do you think you could tell him the truth?
  4. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I thought i was their getting help for some anxiety although i think she picked on the fact i've not feeling very happy lately and she just caught me off guard, i was'nt really expecting her to ask that. I was given some meds for anxiety but if these thoughts don't go i think i might mention it to her, i wish i'd told her before but i only really thought about after i left.
  5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

They tend to ask a variety of questions to assess the wider picture when dealing with anything mental health related. She sounds very thorough and its good she asked.

How about maybe writing her a note or booking an apopintment to go and see her and letting her know? She may be able to offer you even more help which would hopefully dissipate your thoughts faster.
  6. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I have a check up apointment booked for a few weeks time i will see if i need to tell her then. I don't have no plans to do anything.
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I would say try and tell her about them anyway even if you're feeling better, so that she knows things have been really rough and hopefully will be aware and on alert if it gets worse again. Its great you don't have any plans to do anything, but suicide ideation or thoughts in themselves are very distressing and its more than ok to mention them even if you don't have any plans to act on them.
  8. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

That's not gong to be an easy thing to say. Scum, you don't live up to your name. Thanks
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have been honest with my doctor about my thoughts and as long as they remain thoughts with no definite plans or set date, they generally do not section you. They may ask you if you feel you need to be hospitalized or if it would benefit you, but it is your choice. If you are not honest about things with them, they cannot help you to the best of their abilities. I am glad you currently have no plans to act on the suicide thoughts. Do what you need to to keep it that way :hug:
  10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

No, it definitely won't be easy, but its probably one of those things that will be worth it once you have done it. Sometimes jotting it down and handing over a piece of paper can be much easier than actually saying it. Or even just printing out bits and bobs from your threads on here so you don't have to rewrite it again could work.

Your doc will be used to hearing things like that though so should hopefully be calm and supportive.
  11. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Hey Decode,

I just want to second what others have said - generally sectioning is a last resort, and it is extremely unlikely your doctor will do it as you currently have no plans (which is brilliant!).

My counsellor knows I'm suicidal but I refused to discuss how I'd do it or if I have plans (which I do, of course), because I was worried about what he would do with this information.

So I think as long as you make it clear that you have no plans to commit suicide, your doctor will offer you the most appropriate support and advice, and not section you. So I definitely think you should tell her. Good luck, although it won't be as hard as you think, I'm sure. Be brave - you're a strong person, you can do it. You deserve to do it.

12. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Thanks i think i needed that reassurance i just wounld'nt cope if they did something like that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.