Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Borrowed time*, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

ok so iv decided to go doctors in the morning about how im feeling. Im going to tell him everything except my suicidal thoughts. I will tell all if im taken seriously. I would just like to no how every one who has been to the doctors has approached the subject? Im not very good at expressing myself, should i just tell him im feeling really down. This is a last ditch attempt to be proved right or wrong, i want to make sure i get my feelings across to him right.
    Sorry if that didnt make sense but its 1.52, im really tired but cant sleep.
    Thank you for reading
  2. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I'm typically pretty guarded and manipulative b/c I don't really want to be completely exposed as to how "weird" I am so to speak. My new psychiatrist is pretty receptive and it apprears that with me not even saying much, he'll go by eye movement and body langauge...he's pretty gutsy and will ask me things that I hope he doesn't.

It's so hard. I want to be open and honest but there is the reality that if the picture is painted what it truly is, I'm afraid he may have me committed or have second thoughts about treating me since he seems to think I will be a diffucult patient per his assessment. Although, he is also not like my previous clinicians. He's pretty sharp and I fear that too....

I dunno, what are you afraid will happen if you are completely open and honest?
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

very hard to get committed my daughter has od 6 times now ran out in front of cars and her pdoc wants to discharge her he doesn't care. Be honest tell him your thoughts they are just thoughts tell him how low you are and suicidal ideation is part of the mix You won't get locked up he will just discuss these thoughts with you and help you to figure out why
  4. pinkpetals33

WOW, interesting, the doctors I've had, what little I have said, they have threatened/implied to put me in one of the worst mental health wards in the county. I had to have my family lie for me to the county so I could get out of inpatient. I guess I'm a little more calculated since my doctor had cops sent to my place....sure it was the right thing to do in his mind but at the same time, that's a trapped feeling for a depressed/suicidal person.
  5. abcd

abcd Active Member

In my experience (in the US), just telling them you think about suicide does not cause an uproar. It's when you say you have a plan, have the method or could easily get the method, and you sound like you could do it soon.

I used to lie to my family doctor and said I was depressed but didn't think about suicide. I got meds that way, but years later when the meds weren't working I told my therapist the truth and she sent me to a psychiatrist office where the nurse tried different meds and monitors them while I continue to see the other therapist. Took 3 years and multiple med changes, but 6 weeks ago we tried one that is working wonders. Proof that you can't give up trying to find the med that works for you. (still need the talk therapy though to really solve the problems).

I wish you luck. doctors are all different. If you don't like one, try another.

take care.
  6. Borrowed time*

Im also very guarded, i never let people know the real me. I always try to keep a little back for myself it makes me feel safe.People cant judge if they dont no.My whole family already think im weird and dont talk to me unless they want something. I scared he wont believe me, thats not me being paranoid either. I spent years trying to convince them my joint problems were not just about my weight. They see a fat person and just put it down to that. I know im fat i dont need the doctor telling me that every time i go.
    Im also worried that im wasting the doctors time, like there are more important people for them to treat.

Im a stupidly honest person so if he asks i will tell him. I just wont volunteer the information. If he is actually listening to me i think he will ask but we will see.

I havnt got 3 years, my own fault because i left it so long. I have the plan and i know its going to be soon possibly before the end of the year. There is only one doctor i like at this practise but its been years since i went so i cant remember who it is.
    Thank you every one, havnt managed to get a morning appointment but im trying to get an afternoon one.
  7. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
  8. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I would say maybe write it down as a bullet point list and just hand it over. The more you tell, the more the doc can potentially help. I would also say, i fyou have any idea o what you think the doctor could do to help, tell him/her.

Its a brave decision to go and see someone and you should be proud of yourself for deciding to get the help. This could be the start of the rest of your life.

If, however, the doctor does not respond or help in the way you want, don't feel that this is the only chance, or no one will listen or anything. It may be the doc is rubbish, is havin a bad day, its hitting too close to home, or anything. None of those are your fault. If you communicate all you need to, and it goes wrong, keep trying and keep seeing different people until someone does hear.
  9. Borrowed time*

Its a sad world we live in when people go into a job to help people then bring there problems into work and dont listen. I had to leave my last job because i started to bring my problems into work and wasnt smiling all the time. I smile so much at my new job im starting to think ill stick that way:tongue:. I dare not talk to people incase they find out what im really like.
    It has taken me so long to feel like i can do this that this is my last chance. I know it is.
    I dont know how he can help me, i dont know whats wrong with me. Even now im trying to talk myself out of it. God i hate my life!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
  10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Maybe then just make a bullet pointed list of everything going on for you and hand it over :)

Its only your last chace if you choose to make it so. Hopefully the doc will be useful and then that will be a moot point.
  11. Borrowed time*

Thank you
    im making a list now, ill just feel like an idiot handing it over, we shall see
  12. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

To be honest, if it gets you the help you need then it doesn't really matter if you feel like a idiot or not, because its only short term discomfort for what is hopefully long term gain.

However, docs are used to people writing stuff down and handing it over, and in some ways it is easier for them because then they have it written down and can actually see it all. You will also know you haven't forgotten anything and have managed to say what you want/need to.
  13. Borrowed time*

I know your right and it makes sense, for me its just getting over the initial nerves. I avoid so many situations im not comfortable with or cant control it is hard to change. I'm my own worst enemy
  14. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I can relate a lot to that. I've been identified as being very avoidant, although at the time I didn't realise it.

Someone once said to me 'do what you did, get what you got', so like if you also do what you have always done, you will always get the outcome you always got. Right ow doing what you've always doneis not working because you are feeling pretty wretched, so maybe, even though its incredibly hard, its worth breaking out of being avoidant and facing it right on. You never know, it could have a completely different outcome from normal.
  15. Borrowed time*

Well iv made the appointment, there wasnt any for today so iv got one for Tuesday. I still think im wasting his time but iv got my list ill let him draw his own conclusions.
  16. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Well done for making it :) Its good you intend to let him draw his own conclusions. just be completely honest and hopefully he will be able to help.
  17. pinkpetals33

IMHO, it really takes time to decide if you want to devulge information to a large degree about yourself. Remember there are no difinitive diagnostic test that these phsychiatrist, psychologist etc use to determine these conditions or dx's. So be selective about what you want to say b/c they are personally making a clinical percpetion of you.

If you get the sense that you are misunderstood, always voice it and ask for clarification. I had one doctor say I was "Schizo typal" just because when he asked about my spiritual/religious life, I mentioned metaphysics. I never knew this until I came across the document for legal purposes. So 5 years later, I am correcting it all.

Feel the clinician out and interview them if you need to......these medical docmentations can f*ck up your life....
  18. Borrowed time*

Some times i dont want to be helped but then i do. My heads spinning now that iv made the appointment but iv promised myself i will go and if he asks ill be honest. Even if i dont want to be i go beet root any way so he will no im lying if i try :lol!:
    Thank you

Iv written everything down, i know ill be a total nervous wreck when i walk into his office that ill forget what i wanted to tell him. I have a lot of physical symptoms as well so as long as he doesnt put me down as a hypochondriac ill be happy.
    My life is already a mess, the only thing keeping me going at the minute are my pets. My family have no idea about reptiles:rolleyes:
    Does any one no if i can request to see my medical file? I have never found out what they thought was wrong with me when i had had my fits when i was younger. All my Mum tells me is that they wouldnt tell her what they where testing for and that i was on medication for a year. I would be quite interested to no what happened to me. I cant remember any of that time at all.
    Thanks eveyone for your advise.
  19. pinkpetals33

Take your time, it's your mind and body, youa re actually in charge. You're paying the doctor to provide a service so feel free to note how you would like to guide the treatment process too. Control freaks are red flags. I'm lucky to find a psych that expressed a "we" approach.

Yes, your medical file is your right. Offices have specific policies but technically You can request, show your ID and sometimes there are administrative fees but should be available by law. IF it is a current clinician, you should be able to review and request copies. At least that is how we do it in the states.

Best wishes on your list and do keep us posted on his response :))
  20. Borrowed time*

Will do thankyou:smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.