documentary about young offenders prison in the 70's- and mental health

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by mandyj101, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

hi all.. just thought i would share this..
    i just watched an old documentry.. was filmed in the late 70's.. about 5 guys in a young offenders prison in america..i was really shocked by how these guys were treated..
    u could tell alot of them were suffering from mental health issues.. but nothing was being done 2 help them..
    there was one guy who was put in2 isolation for 3 months.. i cant remember exacly what he had done.. but i remember thinking it wasnt anything serious..the cell was so tiny..no windows..no bed..nothing.. well this guy got hold of something sharp and started 2 self harm.. he had about 5 small cuts on his leg..
    no1 asked him any questions.. 7 officers just went in2 the cell and handcuffed him behind his back..tied up his legs with straps..then tied him 2 the cell bars so his back was all crooked..if that wasnt bad enough they put a huge white mask on him!-like what they use in ice hockey.. :eek:hmy:
    i knew they used 2 treat ppl with mental health problems quite badly - but i didnt realise it was like this!

im sort of falling asleep right now.. so if a sound a little dopey thats why lol..
    will find out exacly what its called if anybody if interested in watching it..
    night all x

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

You don't sound dopey at all. I'd love to know the name of it so I can try and find it. I watch alot of these types of shows but don't remember this one.

3. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Sounds terrible, but interesting. Please let us know if you find out what it was called!

4. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

i cant seem 2 find out what is was called btw.. :unsure:

5. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

i remember writing a paper about abuse in prison a bit back. The paper wasn't any good but i learned a lot. Stuff like what mandy is talking about is fairly common historically dunno if it has gotten any better though. The people attracted to positions of power are those who like to abuse it (ive said this 100 times over the last week i think im obsessed :mellow: ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.