Does a parasite cause mental illness?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by AlienBeing, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

2. RonPSH

RonPSH Banned Member

Social conditionings that make your mind fight your true nature create the mental illness that is universal to 99.9% of the world.

That's the place to start looking for "healing".

This is a profound quote about it...

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

If my cat is responsible for my depression, it is because she contributes to sleep deprivation - waking me in the night sometimes, and definitely early in the a.m. for her breakfast! :lol:

Seriously, I've had bouts of depression long before I ever had a cat. I'd be willing to say that perhaps parasites have some role with some people's mental health. :)
  4. RonPSH

RonPSH Banned Member

Sure, the cat can affect your life, but unless you rid yourself of the social conditionings and get your mind whole again, and just be yourself again like when you were a little kid, you'll spend the rest of your life trying to make logical associations in an attempt solve these puzzles and never find the answer.

First the whole mind...that is the real healing, then explore other issues like your cat.
  5. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Cats are too cute to be blamed for our mental illnesses. The scientist needs to also evaluate genetics as a factor. Cat genetics you say? Nope. Genetics of this bug that everyone gets.
  6. Acy

I'd be willing to bet that not every person who has a mental illness is infected with the parasite...nor that everyone who is infected with the parasite has a mental health problem. The correlation between them needs additional studies with other variables and controls.

Besides, my cat and I love each other - and I would be far more depressed without her :cat:
  7. AlienBeing

Does anyone else find that RonPS guy highly irritating? I thought "rescuers" were not allowed here. He's not suicidal and obviously doesn't understand.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  8. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

My way of thinking too RonPSH. Unlearn peeps!
  9. Acy

Erm, I'm sorry. I was being tongue-in-cheek...I don't blame my cat. However, it's true that she sometimes "contributes" to my insomnia/sleep deprivation, which in turn can make my mood worse, but I don't think she is the cause of my depression. :cat:

I agree that socialization and one's past can affect a person's mental state, and those issues must be resolved by the individual. In some cases maybe there are factors from the environment (e.g., viruses/bacteria or neural toxins) that may predispose people to mental health problems. I'm sure human genetics has a role too.

I would expect there are people who were exposed to things but did not suffer a mental illness, and others with no exposure who did suffer a mental illness.

The brain and the cause and effect of mental illnesses is a huge and diverse area of study - with many contributing factors and variables that have not yet been fully understood by science.
  10. RonPSH

RonPSH Banned Member

Thanks! :hamster:

We are used to looking outside self for the causes and the solutions. Little do we know that the causes and solutions are in within ourselves.

"Go see a doctor"

"Go take a pill"

"It's God's fault!"

"Life sucks"

"Nobody loves me"

Nope, none of that is true...the mind has been corrupted with ideology and the mind can be cleaned of it. Life is wasted on mind games and on suicide.

I love that the people on this forum are exceptionally bright and observant. It takes a deep confused unconsciousness to pull off suicide and time and time again, the people suffering are so bright, so alert, so conscious. And all have the same thing in common and all need the same one knows how their conscious mind really works and how it is so easily corrupted by repetition of ideas.

I'm a broken record on this but with someone somewhere it is going to stick. It stuck with me and I got free of the confusion and got my life back from my mentality that was fed up living.

11. Acy

I'm glad you found a way out of your unhappiness on your own. However, some people need the assistance you eschew. In a lot of cases, meds settle the neurochemical imbalance, and a therapist/pdoc helps a person come to an understanding of their past, their hurts, their inner selves so they can move on and become all they can be.

What worked so well for you was good for you. It might not work for others. Please be mindful that different people have different ways of being and different needs.
  12. RonPSH

RonPSH Banned Member

Why close a door Acy?

Why not explore a possibility?

Sincerely, why?

13. Acy

The philosopher in me wants to retort, "Why not?" but that's too flippant a response, when I can tell that you genuinely mean to help.

I skimmed over the "profound self-help" page you linked in another thread, and the perspective and views don't mesh with me, my experiences, my life, my way of being. That's reason enough for me to say, "No, thank you" and walk on to what does work for me. Trust me, I'm not closing the door - it's there to be opened by those who find what you offer of help to them.

Each to their own, Ron. Again, I'm glad you found a way out of your unhappiness. :)

And we should end this discussion, or I'll have to move this thread to the Soap Box. ;)
  14. RonPSH

RonPSH Banned Member

Feel free to move it wherever you want Acy, it doesn't reflect on me. I'm not out to be in control but let go of it. :hamster:

The common theme throughout nearly every post is how people failed to control life and they are fed up being a failure, that nothing they try works so something must be wrong with them. They hate themselves and project that the whole world hates them too.

I wish I could take every post, place them side by side in some way and highlight all the language of "control" in each one of them. And the ultimate decision to control life is to end it, yet most yield to some fear of the unknown or some desire to actually live.

There's a paradox here and no one is going to see it being pacified. A sanctuary atmosphere of wounded people supporting wounded people isn't going to help anyone. Misery can love company but there's not a single mind that can solve the problem by more thinking and thinking and thinking. Thinking is the problem and suicide seeks to end the thinking yet in a sanctuary we sit and exchange thoughts, pacifying each other.

I don't have an pity. I have enormous empathy from my own experiences with my mom's suicide, from my suicidal friends, from my own suicidal thoughts. But I have no pity because pity does not help anyone, but enables them. A hurting desperate soul doesn't want to face fears but I've come to see in my own life and the lives of others that have healed that there's no other way. Meds and shrinks are mind games compared to truly facing oneself in the mirror fail and the feedback is all over this forum...people aren't having success with either be neither address the problem. The mind wants to kill the body in order to kill the mind so it can't think. Why??? Meds don't get to the root cause of the chaotic mind nor do shrink mind games of better ways of thinking.

If that stuff worked, there would be no

Thanks, Ron
  15. Acy

Note: This thread has been copied from the Mental Health Articles forum to here because the discussion strayed well beyond the link the OP provided. The original article is still in the original forum for discussion about the article. This thread is for anyone who wants to debate the article's premise and related issues and alternative views.
  16. AlienBeing

Hey, my thread has been hijacked!
  17. Acy

Hi, AlienBeing. The original article is still in the forum where you originally posted it. I understand the thread was "hijacked" - some posts veered way off the original topic of the article. The single-mindedness of some of the posts left me little choice but to duplicate the thread here in Soap Box. PM me if you have concerns or questions about that. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  18. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Yes, evidence exists proving parasites can and do cause behavioral and mental changes in their hosts. But whether any particular mental disease, or a set of them, is attributed to owning a cat has little to do with parasites themselves. Just because cats shed parasites doesn't mean that having them is the cause for mental illness, hence people with mental illness may own a cat(s), but their mental illness was present before exposure to cats.
    "How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy" is a misleading title.
  19. AlienBeing

Yay! You are right! Someone finally read the whole article! Titles are often just designed to attract readers. Unfortunately, some people don't read the article or only part of it.
  20. Anneinside

Anneinside Well-Known Member

I read the article and I am not convinced. When they identify a large group of people who have the parasite with a comparable group who don't have the parasite and then physically EXAMINE the brain (of course after they die) I might reconsider. As an evolutionary biologist Flegr mostly looked into anecdotal information when medical research should be done. So, when I see a cat I might still pet it.

We do know some things that cause mental illness and genetics is one of them. I only have dogs at home but I have bipolar, a known genetically involved disorder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.