does age play a role???

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by run4fun, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. run4fun

run4fun Well-Known Member

i heard a story about an ederly couple that committed suicide. but i don't know the circumstances.

my question. is it different for a 15 year old to commit suicide than a 30 year old. i'm willing to listen to all angles.
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I don't think so. I mean some suffer they're whole lives with the same issues, some give up early, other live it out longer.

What bothers me is when people say "oh you're so young, you havent even lived life yet". I dont think age has anything to do with it...maybe maturity levels only..
  3. run4fun

but there is a difference between the 15 and 30 yo.

i guess, what i'm saying is: is there an age when one has the right to commit suicide?
  4. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I think much the same thoughts would go through your head regardless of age. Older people have the same emotions as everyone else, the same wants and needs, and most of time the same reasons for killing themselves. I guess if you get older your physical health comes more into play...but on just about every other front i cant see much differance.

Everyone has that right.
  5. run4fun

i'm 37.

when an ederly couple committed suicide, i believe that most people believed there must have been a good reason for the suicide.

i am just wondering how others would view my suicide. i don't think my parents need me that badly. and i have no close friends or girlfriend or children or sisters or brothers. my grandparents are all dead. the only left are my mother and father. i just want to believe that i can as a 37 yo make this decision alone.
  6. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I think the majority of those who decide to end their life do it alone. I don't think any ages can give you the 'free ticket to die'. Everyone should/does have the right.
  7. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Well I hope you make the decision to keep on living, but I can tell you Im only a few years younger than you and I believe im capable of making that decision to end my life, if thats what i eventually do, and like you I have nobody to live for other than my mother, I guess my dad whom i never speak too, and a few friends....but is it the quantity of people that you have around you that matters, or the strength of your friendship and love for those people that count....
  8. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I think if you're serious about suicide, the best thing to do is not think about those who you'd leave behind, you have to be selfish and determined to not let anything change your mind...
    . But if you want to prevent it, then think about the impact it'll have on the people who care about you...if that makes sense.
  9. yeh.

yeh. Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  10. ybt

ybt Guest

No. Age has nothing to do with it.
  11. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I think that age can bring different reasons for suicide.
    When in ones teens people are dealing with so many body changes, hormonal changes and their life revolves around how they see themselves and how other see them. (Not having a dig here guys its the way it should be) teenagers are trying to find out who they are, what their role in the scheme of things is and peer pressure can be overwhelming.

As you get older priorities change and you worry less about what others think of you, but then you start having the stress of career, mortgages, debts etc.

Elderly people begin to be afraid (have seen this in my parents), they start to fret about every ache and pain, any bill they get, loud noises etc.

So I guess the thread that binds all the age groups is how resilient they are, what their quality of life is and what resources they have (inner ones or help from others) to make their life bearable.

The reasons for the depression/suicidal thoughts may be different at different ages, but the feelings, fear, desperation etc. are exactly the same. :sad:
  12. phylip

phylip Member

no it does not come into it
    i was 15 when i first tried to kill myself
    and when my father was 52 and dying of cancer he wanted me to get the shotgun and kill him as he was to sick to carry on any more and didnt want to be a burden on his family
    and when i was 36 i was left by my wife and i tried to cut my wrists
    my friend came in and saw the blood and called the ambulance

im glad i didnt die now
    i have bad days but everybody does

dont do it there is allways another way
    dont forget there are seven thousand one hundred and eighty three people here that care and love you
  13. Eno

Eno Guest

One difference I can think of myself is that when I considered suicide as a teenager it was due to my experiences, views, thoughts, feelings, emotions, many things within and outside of myself that I didn't like and couldn't accept. But once one becomes (I won't say adult because some adults still act less mature than some children), I'd say, responsible for oneself money can play a part in suicide to. When you're 15 money is not quite so vital to the equation.

I find it unbelievable that I was never taught anything about the real world of money when I was at school as it is one of the most vital things to understand through life. They should be teaching it soon apparently but for those that don't get that much needed education my advice to anyone young is try not to let creditors sell you loans, credit cards or overdrafts unless they are absolutely essential. You can't get something for nothing and the best things in life are free.
  14. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Age doesn't play a role but circumstances and scenarios do. Each 15 yr old lives a different life so it's definitely down to other things rather than age.

But you can say that with age, life changes, so there in it self brings different problems. There's just soo many factors involved.
  15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, I just took a look at your profile and according to it, you're 18. Well, I'm 33 and I've been borderline suicidal since I was like 10 or 11. When I was 18, I was pretty much ready to give up. Thought I'd seen all there was to see of life. Thought I'd suffered a lot. Thought things could never get better.

Well, obviously, I'm still borderline suicidal so I was right about quite a few of those things but guess what? I'm still glad I lived. I had some really crappy times but I had some really sweet times too. I would say that I was pretty mature for my age when I was 18 but I was wrong when I thought I had nothing to live for. I'm not looking down on you. I know how it feels when you're young and the world doesn't take you seriously. We all felt the same way when we were that age. When people say this, it's not to put you down. It's because we've been there and we remember.

I think there are special circumstances when someone so young can have enough truly bad experiences to be about on level ground with someone who's older and depressed. But usually, when you're younger and don't have a lot of experience, relatively minor things seem huge and it feels like the worst thing in the world. Again. I know. I've been there. But then, I got older and I ran into things that were a lot worse and I realized those things I thought were so bad were really just speedbumps.

And even as I sit here now. I wonder if, in ten years, the problems I feel are so bad now won't seem insignificant. I have no idea what the future holds for me....if anything. But I know things can change.....either really fast or so gradually, you don't notice.

Edit - And I wasn't trying to make the situation seem trivial. I know suicidal thoughts feel just as real no matter how old you are or why you feel that way.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  16. Eno

Eno Guest

I think this person is 37 years old, or young. Midway I guess.
  17. jhayes0027

jhayes0027 Well-Known Member

I don't think that age has a whole lot to do with it as at certain points the problems become problems no matter what kind of problems they are. What seems so simple to a 30 year old may be heartbreaking or painful to a 15 year old and vice versa. Just depends on the person. The only thing I see with younger people (including myself at 22 tomorrow). Is that the older person has experienced more from life, has seen greater problems than a lot of 15 or 16 year olds don't know anything about. Not saying 15 and 16 year olds have less important problems, just that what seems to be so important to them may not seem that way later in life. Best to live a little while and see how life turns out.

If it weren't for being curious about tomorrow I'd probably have been gone a long time ago.
  18. Makatak

Makatak Guest

You know, a long while ago I would have agreed about that age thing. Regarding young people committing suicide before they have a chance to see where the road to life takes them. But then, as with most cases, all you are doing is procrastinating your own death based on a falsified hope. So its just more work, work, work, drudge, drudge, drudge, and for what? More and more of the same crap everyday. Its sad to think about, but that's the way it works with most optimistic people that are suicidal at heart. All those "success" stories from people that overcame it make up a very small minority of us. The overwhelming majority of these people will commit, what I like to call, involuntary suicide. They don't outright kill themselves, but they don't try to better themselves or take good care of themselves either. In the grand scheme of things, that is the worst method of all.

Oh but pardon me. This is coming from a 20 year old. So for all I know, I'm just speaking out of my arse.
  19. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

I do think age often does change the way people look at you when you are suicidel, or have commited suicide.

Most people I know when hearing of and elderly couples who do it together, or the spouse is in on the assisted suicide seem to "understand" or its endearing. If I talk about it, or we read about kids or even mid aged adults its "they must have really hated themselves, life..etc" "how selfish!" "it couldn't have been that bad".
  20. jhayes0027

jhayes0027 Well-Known Member

Yes I know what you mean, I wasn't really trying to imply that it's different to do it at a young age. I just think younger people should give life more of a chance. I know my life started to change drastically after I turned 18 and got out of school. It didn't change for the better in my opinion but you never know what may happen to other people. I know what you mean about the not helping yourself bit though. That's my biggest problem. Not only am I not doing anything,l but I also don't feel like I have a reason too or anything to look forward too at the moment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.