Does anti-depressants make you feel this way?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I know it is wrong what I have been doing, but I have been going through the hardest time in my life, and it is only going to get worse. I have started taking pain pills Percocet, and others. It gives me that "relaxed" feeling, and it calms me to the point where my mind isnt racing with all the worries and problems I have. I am able to think clearly, but I know pain pills are addicting. My question is does anti-depressants make you feel this way?

2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Not in my experience. When my anti-d's have worked I just feel sort of normal, a bit numb perhaps, certainly not the feeling that some painkillers give you. But as you know some painkillers are addictive and are going to make you feel worse in the long run. Some of the benzo's give you this feeling eg diazepam but again they should only be used for a short time as they are addictive and lose their effectiveness if you take them for too long. You should maybe talk this over with your gp?!

3. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

Some make you feel like a zombie, some make you feel more anxious..some do nothing. Its all trial and error if you ask me.

I would try and identify whats going on, If you have anxiety or something it might explain why you find the relaxed feeling helpful. If you just want to be 'out of it' than most anti-depressents aren't going to give you that feeling.

this is only my experience though.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Anti depressants do nothing for me. Xanax gives me a very relaxed and calm feeling, I don't care about anything after taking xanax:biggrin: Xanax makes me feel numb and like a zombie. I used to take a lot of painkillers, I never got that relaxed feeling that you're talking about. I think you should see your doctor and ask about taking sedatives, they really do take the edge off things for a while, but the downside is that they are highly addictive and lose their effectiveness after a while. :hug:

5. markr72

markr72 New Member

I've done pain killers (ex. hydrocodone, oxycodone), xanax and valium, and also anti depressants. Nothing worked for me, but an answer to your question - anti depressants and pain killers are two completely different feelings. I know the euphoria you are talking about w/ painkillers, but it is just a quick fix (and addictive) to depression. My advice is to stay away from painkillers, because they are opiates (almost like heroin) and VERY addictive , and VERY expensive on the streets. Keep trying anti D's until u find the one that works for u.

6. HomerSimpson

My problem is this I have no health insurance to see a actual doctor about the anit depressants where as I can get the painkillers and xanax as many as I need, but I completely understand about the worry of addiction. I hate taking any kind of pills, but I am so suicidal and going through the hardest time in my life that I have to do something.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Just don't mix xanex with pain killers. You are out of control if you mix them. You have no clue what your doing. My boss sent me home because I was out of it. I walked home and left my truck in the parking lot. I have no clue how I made it home. they called my ex and she come rushing in the door and I just stared at her. She made me go to bed until I started coming back to reality.

8. yanke

yanke Active Member

they can...........

most make you numb to the world.....
    my brother is on anti-depressants, i don't know him anymore, but at least he's happy.......

well not happy but alive....

Doctors are too quick to give out prescriptions..............................

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

They didnt do that to me, they didnt do anything for me, the only thing that helped me was xanax, now i cant get them anymore, im so i drink now:mad:

10. gregoryrauscher

gregoryrauscher New Member

Recent studies have attested to the fact that depression has a number of genetical factors attached to it. Depression does come to the next generations if the members of the previous generation have had instances of depression. Especially bipolar depression has been proven to come down to the next generations in case the previous generations had it. http://www.xanax-effects.com

11. Austere Night

Austere Night Well-Known Member

I found Zoloft, and it has made me numb for a while, but I can't help but feel I'm becoming immune to it. Apparently that's possible. I imagine my doctor will pull it and see if I get worse to test it.

12. HomerSimpson

I use to think how, and why do people use drugs, I would never become one of those people. Now after trying pain pills for the past few weeks I can definitely understand. I take them and I am able to feel the way I should feel,but most of all I am able to think clearer. I know trust me this is the wrong way to go that is why I have not messed with that shit in the last few days. Of course I was only taking them maybe two days out of the week, but I am smart enough to know that two days will easily lead to three days and so on.

13. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

reading all these responses have made me scared of anti-depressants. When i first saw my GP she ttalked about them and how i might need them, but my social worker said that i should stay away for the time being and work on my hterapy with her, specially since i'm so young they don't think anti-depressants will be the best thing.

I'm just scared though, what about in the future if i might need them? i don't want to be a zombie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.