does anyone breathe oddly when they feel very depressed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by flowers, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I have wondered this for a few years. But never thought to post it here. When I am feeling very sad and depressed I breathe oddly. Its like I inhale through my nose in little breaths. Maybe 6 little sniffs in at the same time. Over and over again. Its sort of involuntary. I was curious if anyone else does the same thing. I asked my homeopathic pdoc about it. But she just looked back rather blankly. So I am asking the experts here, lol. :hug: for anyone wanting one.

2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I've never had this happen to me personally. I would be interested to see what becomes of this question.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have a very slow respiration rate anyway, normally if it is just depression I feel my breathing slows even more. If I am anxious however my breathing becomes erratic.

4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

yes that happens to me with anxiety. But this is different. Its almost like sobbing in a way. Its perhaps 6 or up to 9 quick breaths in all at once through my nose. It happens whenver I go into dispair and deep saddness. Feels a bit like maybe dry sobs. Just curious what other people think. I know its not hyperventalation.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2011
  5. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

My breathing changes depending on the stress I'm under at the time.

6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

If I've understood you, this happens to me too. It is very much like when you've been crying and can't breathe so you take that funny hitching breath, but it happens when I haven't been crying too, but like you only when I'm particularly low.

I've no idea why or what's going on there, but at least you're not alone!

Mim

7. Null

Null Well-Known Member

^^^ This

It happens to me too... Usually happens after a rough day...

Do you ever have this accompanied by chest pains?

8. ZasuArt

ZasuArt Well-Known Member

I definitely find that my breathing is more shallow and erratic, my chest feels heavy and it is almost impossible for me to take a deep breath. I find that when I'm really worried (which is pretty much all the time lately), even when I'm not in a full blown panic attack, I sort of live in this constant state of being on the verge of an attack. Do you have panic attacks? Hope you're feeling better soon. :console:

9. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I had what you are describing until I got some vitamin B12 transdermal cream. It stopped it. It is a Godsend. Turns out that because I have a bad digestive system I could not absorb vitamin B12 from foods,. and possibly even from suppliments. The transdermal cream really made a hugeeeeeeeee differnce. I order it from someone.

10. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Used to be more chest pains when I had panic attacks. since I started taking the B12 cream that was helped. This is depression related. Although when I get intensly sad, yes the chest pains do happen, for sure. I am sorry if you are that sad. Seriously sorry to hear that

11. flowers

flowers Senior Member

:( I am really sorry to hear that this happens to you. I sadly relate. Sadly, yes, I am not alone :(

12. ZasuArt

ZasuArt Well-Known Member

((Flowers)) Wow... I will definitely look into that! Honestly, I'm sort of used to it, but when I think about it, I've actually felt this way for a very long time. Thanks so much for the advice. :)

13. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Zasu, you're welcome. I hope that relief can come that easily !!

As for me, I went out yesterday. As soon as I started driving I realized I was way out of my body. So this is why I had been feeling like that for days. I was out of my body. I hadnt understood it until I left the house. And especially when I was driving. I discovered it was not just depression that I was feeling, but anxiety as well . Not panic attacks though.

So, I called the herbalist. Told her I just realized I had been out of my body for 5 days, She told me to come in to her shop and buy some sage smudge. So I did go there. I smudged and then hung out there for hours. And by the time I left, I was back in my body. Oh yes, and the added bonus is that she followed me to the car tire place so I could leave my car to have the winter tires put on. Talk about full service herbalists who help !!! :D (actually, the herbalist is a friend). I am so relieved that this awful pain has lifted.

14. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

I'm always depressed; never actually had any "episodes", just full-blown anhedonia and melancholy for most of my life. My breathing has always sucked as far back as I can recall. I can't breathe through my nose alone very well, so I usually leave my mouth slightly ajar so it's not hanging open like a fish all the time. Everyone puts so much emphasis on deep breathing for relaxation, but that just makes me even more upset because I feel extreme discomfort. Did a pulmonary function test for a general checkup and my doctor was surprised that he couldn't get much air out of me, despite the results showing my breathing was "normal". I suspect my breathing is also why I don't make any progress with my exercise, as I burn out so quickly and can't even maintain jogging for very long. I only first started seeing any results from exercise when I did intensive workouts every single day. So intensive that I ended up wrecking my back. Despite my bad back (which likely won't get better considering following the doctor's advice of stopping the exercise and going for PT only caused me to lose my muscles) I am back into working out every day, although my routine is greatly reduced from what it used to be. And I'm back to making no progress at all.

15. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Well, I would imagine that working out, within the healthy limits for your body, will produce some sort positive outcome. I am sorry to hear that you deal with that much depression. I do hope the situation with your lungs can somehow improve. Just reading what you wrote is reminding me to breathe. But I wish that resolving the pain was that easy. yes?

16. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

I suspect that muscle gain largely depends on the body's use of oxygen. Smaller supply of oxygen means more exertion required. Would be nice if I could at least lose the weight I had gained during my down time, but the scale won't budge a single pound so not even sure why I bother any more.

In any case this probably wasn't even relevant to the thread. Although I struggle with breathing, I don't skip and have compensatory breaths.

17. feather

feather Member

my respiration is as if i'm not breathing at all, very shallow when I'm seriously depressed, to the point I notice I'm barely taking in any air, but it's not uncomfortable, just weird

18. Anam_Cara

Anam_Cara Well-Known Member

i do something very similar breathing wise, when im feeling deep despair or am severely depressed. Takes me a great deal to get to that point, but yes it's like a dry sobbing feeling, shakes my whole chest and body as well.

19. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

I either hyperventilate or feel like I can't breathe.

20. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Sometimes depression is linked to inability for weight loss because of low functtioning thyroid, which is also linked to feelings of depression. Anxiety can be linked to difficulty in weight loss due to cortisol. Relora might help with the cortisol. But I would not self medicate. A good MD or ND might be able to dx and help with the underlying reasons for the lack of weight loss.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

I am sorry to read that other people experience this with breath. I no longer suffer from the panic driven aspect of it. Because of a suppliment I take. But the depression driven aspect of it still persists. I am sorry for anyone who is also in that much pain to have that breath sobbing sort of feeling. Or even some people have worse than that. :( I guess I wish for a miracle. Maybe someday. So far, it has only gotten worse with recent years. But still, maybe someday... a miracle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.