Does anyone else feel this way?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by skywalker540, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalker540

skywalker540 Member

I'm someone who has suffered from many conditions and illnesses since was 12. Since then I have suffered badly with depression, which then also brought about serious anxiety problems. On top of that I self harm badly and am always having suicidal thoughts.
    I am currently on citalopram (60mg a day) and feel it isn't helping at all. Even though I have been diagnosed with depression for over 14 years I feel that there's something else underneath all that that is wrong with me.
    When I saw a therapist a while ago he suggested borderline personality disorder, which sounded like me down to a T. But this is mostly self diagnosis and have been told to ask a psychiatrist about what test they can perform to help me narrow down a problem, if there is another thing going on in my head.
    I just wondered if anyone else feels that what they are diagnosed with is correct or that their diagnoses is only the tip of the iceberg.
    Sorry to ramble on, its my first thread and I'm not doing too good today with the concentrating:sad:
  2. nok1888

nok1888 Well-Known Member

I have bipolar 1 but although i agree with this, to be something else going on because my moods can be extremely fast changing back and forth between mania and depression to severe anger and hate to very emotional all in the matter of hours, and this is almost on a daily basis.

I currently take Sodium Valproate 2000mg, Lofepramine 240mg, lamotragine 150mg and quetiapine 300mg thats 3 mood stabilizers and 1 anti depressant. The only ones that work that I can tell of is the sodium valproate which TOTALLY dulls 95% of the mania and the quetiapine stops nearly all my hallucinations but as for the anti depressants theyre useless (at least to me).

I know what you go through, it does your head in when you know your not getting properly diagnosed. I was ignored for 20 years before a doctor took me serious and i believe being ignored for the 20 years has caused me to be as bad as i am now
  3. skywalker540

skywalker540 Member

Thanks for the reply Nok. What has happened to you is exactly how I feel at the moment. I am glad they have finally listened to you and got you at least one tablet that works, even if they can't seem to get the other ones right! Have you told you GP that you feel only one of your tabs is working?

I'm hoping that when I do see a psychiatrist (if I can go without having a panic attack that is!) he or she will be able to evaluate and test me to give me a proper diagnosis. I'm pretty sure I am not bi-polar but believe I could be either manic depressive or borderline personality. I've recently been having hallucenations and seeing things out of the corner of my eye that are gone when I go to look. I guess I am just worried about what could happen if I am not diagnosed properly.:blub:
  4. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

keep taking the citalopram (60mg a day).
  5. skywalker540

skywalker540 Member

I will sudut :) My partner has to dispense it due to me ODing last year so will see how it goes :smile:
  6. nok1888

nok1888 Well-Known Member

If your open and honest with your psychiatrist you should get on fine and your right its worse not to get diagnosed and to get propper help. Btw bipolar is just a nice way of saying manic depression, I think they tried to make us feel better lol.

I used to get really bad hallucinations visual and audio, only way to describe them is demonic, very intense scary visual and i used to hear multiple voices mostly at the same time but thanks to quetiapine they're all but gone. There is help there but the medication is trial and error. I have been on the same tablets for 6 years but ive avoided going back and forward to psychiatrist seemingly this is something to do do with whats wrong with me.

I have the yearly episodes but I also have the daily episodes which makes me think I am borderline too. I see my psychiatrist in january again i'll see what she has to say.

Good luck with your doctor
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.