Does anyone else have disturbing dreams?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Lost?, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost?

Lost? Well-Known Member

Usually I don't remember my dreams when I wake up in the morning, but recently I've been remembering more of them and seeming to have more intense dreams and dreams that most people would find disturbing. This started this summer, probably around when I got really depressed and agitated and was constantly thinking about killing myself, but before I started taking meds. Then just a few weeks ago it got much worse again. I still get really agitated sometimes, but it's only every now and then, like when I'm extremely stressed about something, and all other times I'm just depressed, so I'm not sure if the sole cause of these dreams is agitation.

My dreams a lot of times are bizarre and don't make a lot of sense, and then there are also dreams in which I get hurt or die, whether I'm hurt or killed by myself or someone else. Most people would probably find these dreams disturbing if I told them about them, but I guess it doesn't bother me because I already think about (and do) harm myself and think about suicide.

But for the past couple of nights, I have had dreams that did really upset me. The worst one was last night. I was at home, and my 19 year old sister was sitting in the chair in the family room watching TV, and I just started beating her like a maniac, mostly in the head, for no apparent reason. She was crying her eyes out and screaming but I kept beating her. I cried when I woke up and I feel like crying just thinking about it. I love my sister, I'm not angry with her, I would never beat her, so this dream in particular made me really upset.

I'm sorry this was so long, but has anyone else noticed an increase in disturbing dreams while depressed? Or does anyone know of anything that would help with this? I don't mind dreaming about death, but there are so many times I cry myself to sleep because I'm upset or lonely or sad, I really don't need to wake up crying and feeling upset.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hun talk to your doctor okay sometime medication can cause terrible dreams to happen Also stress can bring on dreams but it does help to talk things over okay with you doc hugs

3. S8pxph

S8pxph Active Member

I've had some very disturbing dreams, too. However, I can't really say whether they're related to extreme depression because mine has never really fluctuated. I've been depressed at about the same level for 9 years. It gets worse at times, but I can't say that I remember having worse dreams during those times. I will say that I don't know any way of fixing it. Dreams are hard to control, so you should talk to a therapist and see if they have any recommendations. One thing you could try is trying to realize you're in a dream and you have complete control. It's hard to do, and I can't do it all the time, but when I do, I either wake myself up or change something about the dream. One thing you might look into as well is diets. I've heard eating certain things before bed can affect your dreams.

I'm sorry I don't have a real answer for you : / Talk to a professional if you can, I think that would help the most.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I too suffer with disturbing dreams. Sometimes I am able to not let them affect me but sometimes they are so disturbing it makes me feel very low and absolutely dreadful and it can be all I think about all day. I have woken up screaming, thrashing and sometimes biting on myself. It is horrible and will be something I will be mentioning to my psych when I see them next.

5. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

I have night terrors and nightmares and I have all my life. I can count on one hand the # of dreams I've had that were pleasant.

6. RumoursOfMyDemise

RumoursOfMyDemise Well-Known Member

I have this a lot when really, really badly depressed and death seems imminent (such as the last week or so). Think it's my mind's last ditch attempt at trying to live/ find a solution. Or maybe just because I think about death and other morbid things so much during the day...

7. That one guy

That one guy Member

Yes. i have them much more then i should. just about every night i wake up in a cold sweat my sheets over turned. most of the time its my loved ones being harmed infront of me. some times its just me. alone.

8. Madsys

Madsys Active Member

i have disturbing dreams...and thats what i think of them as, dreams. to other people they would be absolute nightmares but to me they're just dreams and sometimes i even make myself have them (i am kinda weird...) i still have nice dreams sometimes...i find that i only remeber the last dream i had before i woke up...or the last part of it....but this morning i woke up and was having an alright dream but i could tell i had been crying in my sleep at some point...who knows what makes them...but if u want to work out how to help them research Lucid Dreaming, its a technique people use...or u could just use a dream journal...write down everything about all the dreams u have every morning and it might help ur sub concious become aware of it and change or just help u work out the real pattern of it...i hope some of that helps in some way...

9. Tea_at_Four

Tea_at_Four Staff Alumni

Yes, I have begun having weird, disturbing, and even frightening dreams. My depression meds have "vivid dreaming" listed as a side-effect, but they make my waking life so much better that I will not be stopping them anytime soon. The dreams did not start as soon as I started the meds, but began after some 6 months or so. Presumably this is linked to the build-up in my system.

Mention the dreams to your doctor. Best of luck.

10. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

Its normal. I still have thoughts and dreams after ending medicine, (Yeah, Im med-free!) it comes to me like there's someone in the room when I go to bed and start sleeping... What meds do you take? And those dreams are not of any harm, just try to take it easy under the day and drink green- or chamomile-tea that has a relaxing way into your nerves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.