does anyone else have high confidence and security but depression/anxiety problems

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by HawthornePassage, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

i feel unusual in this respect

though i dont have 'social anxiety' more like 'internal tension'...no problem dealing with people

2. allison

allison Well-Known Member

Re: does anyone else have high confidence and security but depression/anxiety problem

Me, definitely. My friends know me as AWESOME because that's how I act around them--like I think I'm the most amazing person in the world. Sometimes I can convince myself of that but there's always this nagging in the back of my head. That I'm just faking it all, just a sham, and that I'm just this nothing special person that won't go anywhere in life.

3. HawthornePassage

Re: does anyone else have high confidence and security but depression/anxiety problem

well i dont just act it its not like i hate myself or something

i think very well of myself

4. The Unforgiven

The Unforgiven Well-Known Member

Yep. Me too. No one can ever! see the crazies inside my head. For all purposes I'm fine, quite the extrovert. Not a people magnet but easily approachable n easy to talk to. The inside of the head is a dark place though. Practically no one knows or gets that side of me. :/

5. allison

allison Well-Known Member

That's kind of what I was trying to say. At times I really, truly believe it (most of the time, actually). But then there come moments when I get anxious about my future and think that I'm just this fake person who doesn't know what the hell she wants in life.

6. spailpin

spailpin Active Member

yep. . me too. . the outside is a rock . .everything is fine. . .pepole know me as sensative, but together. . inside. .not so much. . riddled with anxiety and fears. . sometmes overwhelming anxieties and fears. .

7. eagles_fan

eagles_fan Well-Known Member

I think I'm like this as well, except it occurred to me that I'm still quite anxious and shy sometimes.

It's like I've learned nothing at all sometimes.

8. HawthornePassage

maybe i didnt phrase this quite right

9. Justme123123

Justme123123 Guest

Do you mean with who you are in existence? Or what you are, outside of society?

10. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

I think the phrase you used - "internal tension" - was great. I can relate to it, and I think a lot of people here can. It's possible to have social anxiety and internal tension at the same time as well, I suppose!

P.S. Welcome, Justme123123! :welcome:

11. pbobble

pbobble Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I quite exactly understand what you mean, but when I was depressed before, I always had good "self esteem".
    I liked myself, no feelings of worthlessness, confident, to an extent around people, albeit a little reserved which is often my way. I was just depressed with it, intensely dislike my lot in life I suppose. So I know its possible to be depressed whilst still liking yourself as a person, and being confident if that's what your getting at?

Unfortunately with this latest bout, I get a lot of worthlessness etc. Hopefully this will go away, and I will feel good about myself more.

12. HawthornePassage

complete belief in yourself/holding yourself in high regard, no insecurity, no shyness, full ability to talk to other people, good sociability, etc

13. Justme123123

Justme123123 Guest

And putting that aside you have internal tension? .... It depends on what you're feeling internally tensed about or torn about/the scale ect. Not sure if you want to talk about that or are just curious if people have in general the same sort of situation.

14. HawthornePassage

existential depression and pst trauma

15. HawthornePassage

sdfsdf double post

16. Justme123123

Justme123123 Guest

In general, same aboat. Minus, I've contained my confidence as close as I can in what/who I am. Only way I could deal with my past, and my never ending queries and termoil I feel and see in life, and how we choose to exist. Ect.. I've just about given up on life, but existence and what I am? I find the tension fascinating and terrifying. Reminds me I'm alive. In the beginning it was so destructive, now I'm just used to it's destructive contrast with how I live life.

Idk what you're refering to, or how you're meaning, or coming from. If it's anything like how I feel, it's almost impossible to explain. Words kinda need explaining, liberating, defining... it's a mess. Music helps. But regardless of how I deal with it. If it's anything to do about who you are as you exist, have existed, will exist, as an idividual, or a whole or whatever. There's a sort of contrast to this life that needs balancing on many levels as you look deeper into it.

In anycase.. the more you learn in an existential perception, the more trivial and less important "normal" things in society become, which, creates a contrast to who you feel you are, and can cause a rift of depression because you're doing things in a moment that contradict or cause you pause. Or whatever..

Erhm. Have you dealt with the issues in your past at the source of your pts? That has a incredible influence on your own personal existential perception. Kinda knocks shit out of alignment and creates definitions that are needed to protect yourself, that get in the way of free flowing thought in some instances.

Idk if im on track with what you're on about, or what so I'll stop.

17. HawthornePassage

if anything ive forced free flowing thought which has just made things a lot harder to deal with

18. Beindaz

Beindaz Member

very similar for me. Outside looks all great, inside is a huge mess

19. Slothbear

Slothbear Well-Known Member

Hmmm im somewhat similar. Perhaps its just how i handle things. Even when im in my darkest moods and moments i can still crack a joke... perhaps avoiding it? I don't know.

20. HawthornePassage

dark humor makes this shitty world that much brighter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.