does anyone else

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Cariad_Bach, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

Get fascinated by stories of suicide?

I heard of a friend's sibling who attempted last week and is still in hospital. I want to know Everything - what, why, how, how much, how long, finding her...

I should be feeling for my friend and her family and her poor, distressed sibling. But instead I'm thinking, I'm analysing, I'm thinking...

Could I do that?

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sure that along with your sense of wanting to know, you are also compassionate and caring about the people involved.

I think our own state of mind/past history can certainly influence our sense of curiosity about this kind of thing. It seems normal enough to want to "compare" what we have felt with what someone else in a similar situation feels Perhaps it's a way we could measure where our own heads are at and whether or not we need to be talking to someone about how we're doing. :hug:

Hoping you're all right...

3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I think if you want to generally look at it, you're focusing on the actions and what went into it more so than what's happened to this person and their life, because of your focus or stimulation already on the subject. It's easy subject matter for something that... well. idk I cringe at wording anything on how it is for you because ... well.
    Just.. becareful. For yourself. If you're having trouble, it'd be a good idea to talk about it and keep the situation in context, so you sorta protect your own feelings from associating onto what this persons situation has lead to. And ultimately let yourself appriciate the severity of the situation for this person, and then ultimately help yourself develop some barriers from letting situations like this agitate you in this way. Ultimately, sometimes we need to protect ourselves, from ourselves. I wouldn't think it's a good thing to let it gain as a habit in this case, but that's my personal view.
    I hope your friend and you are doing ok.

4. jgh7

jgh7 New Member

I too am guilty of this type of thought. I remember one time a girl in high school told me she tried to kill herself. I don't recall feeling concern or pity for her, only interest and curiosity.

5. PureBlueLight

PureBlueLight Well-Known Member

That's a strange fascination! I feel a little curious but that's it. I'm more interested in how can i give support to people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.