Does anyone even read these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 2 years i worked my ass off for one reason, to be a sailor in the USN. For as long as i can remember i wanted to be in the military. When other kids were reading Harry Potter and Goosebumps I was reading biographies on Chesty Puller and Bull Halsey. I was indoctrinated into the military mindset at a very young age and it was clear what i was going to do with my life. During my teenage years i became very depressed. I gained a lot of weight, lost interest in things, and was overall a really miserable prick. There was a few things i still enjoyed though; hockey, wrestling and of course the military. My senior year i decided to begin doing everything i needed to do to get into the Navy. I studied, obtained all the relevant paperwork, learned how to maintain firearms, nautical navigation, i knew the name and designation of every ship from carriers to destroyers. I even lost 50 lbs. Well after two years I felt I was absolutely ready to be the best damn sailor they'd ever seen. After going through the enlistment process I was DQ'd for a medical problem i thought was behind me.

When I was 13 I had testicular cancer. That along with a blood disorder i acquired through the whole ordeal made certain the fact that I would never be able to do what I was meant to do. Anyway, that's where I am now. I'm not sad, just angry and empty. Where do I go from here? My entire life I've been preparing for the Navy and now I know it will never happen. I have no idea where to go from here. I had no plan b, nothing to fall back on. It's not that I'm all that sad or feeling hopeless; I've just lost all purpose in life. It feels like living just isn't a viable option anymore. I don't want to die, but what the hell am I supposed to do now?

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
Hi and welcome...yes, people read these...is there a way to take all of your knowledge and make it useable...working in a related industry? Contracting with the Navy in some way? Doing private security, invesitigation, etc. (sorry I know very little about this)...it seems like that would be Plan B...going back to school, preparing for a related field and making use of what you know...just my two cents...and welcome again

Mr Stewart

I admit I don't take time to read these maybe as much as I should but I read this one, that's for sure. I know what it feels like to lose your dream. I'm so sorry.

I suppose a possible next step would be to see about private marine work. Maybe something in tourism (sailing a tour boat or catamaran or working on a cruise ship). Not sure if you'd want that though. Sometimes it's easier to go do something else entirely than settle for a job related but lesser to your original goal.

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
Have you tried the army?? They are the easiest branch of service to get into..Then the marines..When I joined I joined the Marines because the were the only ones that would take me because I didn;t have a high school diploma..Don't give up yet.. If you can't get into one of those then try homeland security..There's always options..

jimk

Staff Alumni
yes lot of people do read these introductary posts.. even more many on here do care about the people who have posted on here. sorry that your dream did not come true so far.. is the merchant marines out of your reach for now??? tc, Jim

Thanks for the input everyone. I have a lot to consider but sometimes it's just good to know a small handful of strangers actually took the time to give a damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00