Does anyone get anxiety attacks?

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there, yes I get anxiety attacks. my symptoms are a rapid heart rate, palpitations, butterflies in my tummy, nausea and the dreaded hyperventilation (which is the symptom I fear the most). I am medicated but my anxiety is pretty intense at times, my medicine does help but the panic attacks still sneak in at times.

Are you getting any kind of mental health treatment for the panic attacks?

I know..I also take medication but I also still get them.. especially the butterflies ...mines feel like something really crazy might happen soon. Someone described it to me as being scared. But I don't think I am scared. It is a complete different feeling...

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I know..I also take medication but I also still get them.. especially the butterflies ...mines feel like something really crazy might happen soon. Someone described it to me as being scared. But I don't think I am scared. It is a complete different feeling...
Yes - I also disagree, its not a scared feeling to me either, its more like you feel you are going to die or afraid of what might happen depending on where you are or what you are doing during the anxiety attack. Does your medication give you any relief at all?

Yes, that feeling of what will happen. My medication gives me relief in that I am able to face lifes task a bit stronger. My head is not that much of a movie anymore. Some people say you are numb. But I still can laugh and cry. Had a big cry the other day. But I still get these attacks. How do you manage your attacks?

haven't been officially diagnosed but I'm sure I do. I feel sick, my heart wont stop beating really fast, I feel tense, sometimes weak too like my legs get shaky and I feel kinda disorientated or dissociated, headaches or light headed, restless, emotional, crying so hard I give myself a headache, cant stop worrying, repetitive intrusive negative thoughts and fears and worries. I woke up the other night not being able to breathe which was scary

GMody

I had severe bouts of anxiety attacks because of IBS-Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Got quite fearful and jittery. Paced around the room. Not able to sleep. My IBS is better. But I still get mild anxiety when I have issues with my bowels. I am taking Clonotril med for anxiety.

MichaelKay

For me it's really hard to say. I don't get acute panic attacks where the reactions are so strong they can come off as slightly psychotic (I've seen people in rehab have panic attacks and totally seem like a different person, almost delusional, during it).

I tend to cry at times when I'm out shopping. I'll have a tear dropping, get anxious people will see it and somehow that leads to me crying more. But mostly my anxiety shows itself as a sense of pressure in my chest, like there's something very wrong with my heart or something. I can feel lightheaded and sweat a lot, have trembling hands and lose an ability to focus let alone keep a conversation going. When it's really bad I can start pulling out hair to feel a comforting relief.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Yeah, I have panic attacks fairly regularly.

Mostly they're racing heart, shaking, sweating and hyperventilating. I feel like I'm going to die or at least pass out which just causes even more panic. The need to escape and get away from wherever I am is so intense but I normally can't get my legs to work properly.

Sometimes they're almost the complete opposite. I shut down like someone has pressed the off switch. I get a very loud buzzing in my head, I'm aware of what's going on around me but I can't speak or move.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I don’t know if mine is anxiety. I wouldn’t say I get classic anxiety attacks with hyperventilating but I definitely get the butterflies in the stomach and I get very restless. Just can’t sit still. Physically feel uncomfortable with my legs not being able to keep still. I jump out of my skin for the smallest thing. Like someone waking into the room or the doorbell ringing and I will leap. My husband thinks it makes me look guilty, like I was doing something I shouldn’t when I leap if he walks into the room. Idk if that sounds like anxiety or not?

MichaelKay

Yeah, I have panic attacks fairly regularly.

Mostly they're racing heart, shaking, sweating and hyperventilating. I feel like I'm going to die or at least pass out which just causes even more panic. The need to escape and get away from wherever I am is so intense but I normally can't get my legs to work properly.

Sometimes they're almost the complete opposite. I shut down like someone has pressed the off switch. I get a very loud buzzing in my head, I'm aware of what's going on around me but I can't speak or move.
The buzzing sound seems very relatable to me. Do you sometimes feel it's like being underwater of sorts? Like the same sort of sensation one can feel in the ears when diving too deep too fast?

MichaelKay

I don’t know if mine is anxiety. I wouldn’t say I get classic anxiety attacks with hyperventilating but I definitely get the butterflies in the stomach and I get very restless. Just can’t sit still. Physically feel uncomfortable with my legs not being able to keep still. I jump out of my skin for the smallest thing. Like someone waking into the room or the doorbell ringing and I will leap. My husband thinks it makes me look guilty, like I was doing something I shouldn’t when I leap if he walks into the room. Idk if that sounds like anxiety or not?
It most def sounds like anxiety. Particularly social anxiety that is often characterized with a fear of being judged by others. I would get seriously weird and anxious the times I've been attending school or a job and someone speaks up about someone having stolen from them or otherwise caused them harm. Like I can literally feel guilty even though I have nothing at all to do with it. I just assume everyone is suspecting me of being the bad guy and I start behaving like I have something to hide (nervous, racing thoughts, sweating, can even feel my eyes tense up and worry I got that psychotic look in my eyes).

For me a lot of my anxiety is grounded in lack of self-esteem and the fear of being judged by my surroundings.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
The buzzing sound seems very relatable to me. Do you sometimes feel it's like being underwater of sorts? Like the same sort of sensation one can feel in the ears when diving too deep too fast?
Yes! I'd never thought of it like that but that's exactly what it feels like. That feeling of your head and ears being crushed and the pressure building up inside.

Can you tell me how you feel?.I get jumpy and I feel out of control. And you?
I get them every morning. I can feel my heart racing rapidly. I usually wake up around 3pm and lie in bed until around 6:30. I then get up and hyperventilate and vomit bile. It's usually dry heaving into a toilet and then I spit out foam. It's horrible. It's everyday. I would like it to stop, but I don't think that is possible.

Jsinjin

SF Supporter
I don't get the true panic attacks and I hope I never do. I've heard that the panic attacks make you feel like you're frozen and just wish the problem would go away. I get anxiety attacks with involuntary shaking and alternating feelings of despair and anxiety. A friend says her panic attacks make her feel like she is about to have a heart attack and she wishes she could do anything to make them go away or stop. I'm sorry and have sympathy for anyone with panic attacks.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00