Does anyone have any good coping strategies?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ady2011, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ady2011

Ady2011 Active Member

Hi

My evil neighbours are doing whatever they can to get at me again and I am not coping with it too well. Does anyone have any good coping strategies to make you feel less suicidal ? I hate this life so much. Why won't these people be made to suffer the way they have made me suffer.

Thanks

2. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Well-Known Member

I've started reading a lot more, it gets my mind off things. When I have a million thoughts and feelings racing through me, I just read a good book, (Right now, I'm reading Stephen Kings The Dead Zone). Also when I need to vent, I write it all out.

3. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

Distractions...
    Read a magazine, go for a drive, listen to music really loud and sing at the top of your voice.

When I am struggling I also do this thing with my fingers...I touch each one of my fingers in turn with my thumb as fast as a can. Gives me focus.

Watch a horror movie to scare you. Will soon take over some feelings.

Write. I write as distraction quite a lot. It helps me to articulate a lot of my feelings and it's a good distraction. Start a blog or something. I have found it really useful.

x

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Phone someone anyone and just talk okay crisis lines are good for that talk and get someone to help you feel better. call a relative a friend anyone.
    warm bath helps me be kind to you go out and so something nice just for you okay hugs

5. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

going some place like a hotel, a friend or relative's house, to get away from the noise/ problems could help.

in addition to ear plugs, you could also get some noise reduction ear muffs

what is the history you've had with the neighbors?

why is it that they are trying to hurt you? could you talk to them?

Working things out with them might be the best thing, but you can also call the police to report them for disturbing the peace.

I've heard that there are electronic devices that can keep dogs from barking

here are some search results
    http://www.google.com/search?sclien...vice+that+makes+dogs+stip+barking&btnG=Search

it could be that the perspective that you have could help. your neighbors sound pretty horrible, and they may be choosing to be horrible people, but to some extent they probably were either born horrible people or something happened to them that made them horrible.

6. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

you might also be able to create some white noise, like a fan, that could dampen the outside noise

7. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

The coping strategy will depend on how far I am in the hole.

Talking to a family member or a fried helps a lot.

Using one of the cognitive therapy technique I learned. I recommend strongly Feeling Good by Robert Burns.

Watching a movie or reading a book, something humorous in any case.

And when I am really touching the bottom, I make a list of 7 things that I like or made me joyful, focusing on each one of them so I connect to the associate feelings. If I still dont feel great, I do it again, and again, until I feel uplifted some.

Hope this helps.

For the neighbors, focusing on what you can do to fix the situation would help much more than getting bog down in negative feelings, for example, how much you hate them. The more you invest negative feelings in somebody, the more you give them power over you.

8. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Something I like to do is find a random topic and just research it in depth.

For example, I might look up everything there is to know in the production, sale, and use of butter. The history of it, etymology of the word, etc.

It's kind of odd, but it helps to get my mind off things for a while when I'm focused on something specific.

9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Breathing exercises in thru the nose and out thru the mouth.. Visualatioon- Focus on some peacefull place you would like to be..Positive self talk..Try the breathing and positive self talk to gether.. Those were the first ones I learned..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.