1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have any ways round the cost of adult education?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by TheWr0ngChild, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWr0ngChild

    TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

    Did not know where best to put this so I hope it's ok here.

    I'm now 22 years old, living with my boyfriend who earns a wage and I get Incapacity Benefit and lower rate DLA for my Asperger Syndrome.

    This just about pays to feed and clothe us and for daily living costs. Our budget would not stretch into me doing a part time course that would cost say £400-600. As my boyfriend works and mine and his money are put together to make a "high income" in the eyes of the law, we are not eligable for income support of course, thats the one that entitles you to free healthcare (which I already go without dentists and optitions) and reduced or no education fees.

    Now I have spent many hours, before anyone suggests it, looking up every "free" option there is, and I did ALL of them at school. who due to limited recourses for more "able" people took me and a couple of others to a college to do them.

    I'm looking at something a bit more advanced and in an adult enviroment now as I do not want to go back and repeat everything I did back then.
    I also have to be really careful as any extra money I might be able to get from somewhere else, might effect the money I'm getting now.

    I had a long discussion the other day with my mum, who feels that my disability and all the issues that come with it should mean I am looked at as an individual person dispite the fact I live with a partner.
    We talked about everything, right from the fact that if I was blind or deaf my disability would be seen as a disability and I would receive the adiquate help and support.

    I have been dumped by every agency since I moved from the nasty supported living place to my boyfriend's house. Social Services don't want to know me as I am "too bright" and because of that I am unable to get access to Autism support in my area as Social Services have to reffer you and pay for it.
    My boyfriend is also classed as my "carer" even though I would never ever see him in that light, nor would my family.

    Anyway before I deviate too far from my question, do any of you know ways round this issue, such as how I might legaly get myself seen as financialy independent of my boyfriend due to me having a disability? It seems such as shame that I am not supposed to be using my brain just because I am not able to follow the same path as everyone else, into carreers etc. I still have a brain and I still want to be able to learn. It's also very upsetting to hear people slating him for not being able to foot the costs himself. I love him and really have no time for dealing with that kind of shit.

    I am seeing someone from the place I get a small ammount of support from on Monday, but they seem to want to look at free options, not tackle this problem to get me doing something I'm maybe not so good at and will enjoy learning from.

    Has anyone else had simlar problems?
  2. Dave_N

    Dave_N Guest

    Glad to hear that you're trying to further your education Tinwoman. Keep looking for any possible options. :hug:
  3. Terry

    Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

    Have you tried the Open University?
    They do special rates for anyone on job seekers, income support or incapacity benefit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.