Does anyone have some good advices for living on the street?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Renegade, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Renegade

Renegade Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone had any good advices, best if you can speak from experience from living on the street.

I plan to go live on the street for the next 3 months now as I cannot stand the situation where I live in anymore.

The biggest challenges that I see with living on the street is how to survive the weather and environment.

Mostly the rain. I don't want to go in the woods because there are too many crawling ants, ticks and other bugs that would just make sleeping on the ground a nightmare. Also when there is rain, sleeping on the ground would be a huge problem, I only plan to carry a backpack, so enough to carry a pillow and some accessories and just the survival minimum, so maybe a few extra pair of shocks but no more then 1 piece of shirt.

I would think sleeping in a park would make dealing with the weather easier as you can sleep there at night on a platform of some kind, mostly in the little attractions (yeah there aren't going to be any kids from 10pm to 8am) will they? My issue is I don't really know what legislation there is for the homeless, what is legal or accepted. I would think if some adult would see you in the park sleeping, he/she could be tempted to call the police?

So beside the woods or the park, I only see the street, people in big cities do that and no one cares. I dont really want to go live in a big city though where all the crowd is, I was hoping for a more rural place where homeless people is next to non existent. The main reason is there are too many people. For 1, I want to be in the most quiet place as possible but not too isolated as I still need to access the grocery store and 2, if I was to live in a big city and sleeping on the bench, i would get very distracted and most likely fearful of getting rubbed or attacked/bothered. I would still carry around me my cellphone which would be my only source of distraction and also my only expensive baggage beside my pocket. Which also makes me question why there aren't ever any homeless people in rural city. I would still have a source of income from the welfare as I currently live on it and I wouldn't change my address so i wont need to be begging for money, which allows me to able to go anywhere.

Anyways so that's really it and aside from the cold but I would think an extra layer under my jeans, my sweatshirt and 2 jacket should cover that. Here it gets around 15 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit at its worst but this should only be short lived as summer is coming soon.

So let me know your tips and please none of that "please seek help and try to fix your home situation" I've been considering living on the street for a very long time but never had the guts to finally make the move until now, thank you.

Thauoy likes this.
  2. Renegade

Please delete this thread.

3. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

A friend of mine died last year having spent 44 years sleeping rough. He stayed awake at night and found somewhere to sleep early in the morning. He slept near the city center and was seldom bothered.
    I hope you enjoy your little experiment.

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Actually moving from one spot to another and looking clean with a gym membership to shower at and not having the same routine is what kept me afloat...along with libraries and work to recharge to keep me busy

5. Amage

Amage Member

Renegade - Where are you today?

6. Renegade

What do you mean by where I am? I'm still with my parents, waiting 2 months and a half I guess.

7. Amage

Amage Member

Just making sure you are okay . . .

8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

It ages us faster. Mentally and physically its exhausting.

9. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

10. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

First of all, I don't have any advice to you since I have also in the same situation and probably much worse than yours. But I really feel sorry for your situation. I am also thinking of living home and going somewhere quiet place for a long time but nowhere to go . My home is a hell for me. I live in one of the underdeveloped town of eastern India. The town is very dirty and there is not even a single park to relax. My situation is much worse compared to yours. In my town, if you live on street , people may abuse and beat you severely. They may call you mad and laughed at. Police may abuse you etc. And if you go to jungle , there is the danger of tribal people. I have nowhere to go.
    For me, I am suffering from many serious diseases of which depression is just one . Apart from that, years of abuse since school life and then uncaring & unloving parents and siblings, no friends , no one to help or talk etc. all these together make my life hell. I tried to suicide two times but failed and don't attempt anymore because of the pain afterwards. If I just got someone to talk to, understand each other pain, help each other, then much of my pain and suffering can reduce, no matter where I live - streets or jungle. I don't know the situation of homeless people in your country but here it is worse. Since you live in a city in a developed country, I think your situation is better.

Best wishes.

11. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

By the way, I am very curious about your situation or problem in life.

12. Renegade

This thread is no longer required, I wont go living on the street because my health won't allow it, I would die within a week since I am bed bound.

13. Lucy0

Lucy0 Active Member

Oh yeah... because there's no people laughing at you here, or police brutality here, or rapists here, gangs, shooters, muggers, etc. Give me a break and get over yourself. There are bad parts all over the world. Not just where you live. India's not developed? Do you have any idea how many of my teachers were rich men from india? There are both developed and underdeveloped areas of every major country. Just becasue you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. 1 in 4 children will starve here. You never learned that did you? And the fact that you are male in an extremely sexist culture gives you an advantage. So if you want to belittle others just stop for a second and actually look at the facts and how ignorant and uneducated you actually are about the world.

Thauoy likes this.
  14. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

Hi ' Lucy0' , First of all, thanks for replying to the thread. I want to say sorry if there is any misunderstanding in my reply to the above thread. I would like to inform that I am not so good in expressing myself. I am just simple, plain and straightforward. I am also severely misunderstood by others, which is just one of the several problems I am facing in my life. I never had any friend or girlfriend in my life. My life has never been good since the beginning. I am a person who is struggling everyday just like many other members of SF. That's why I am here in SF.

As for my thread, I want to clarify that it was NOT meant to BELITTLE anyone. I am just expressing my feelings which you misunderstood LIKE MOST PEOPLE . Anyway, I want to apologize if my reply hurts your feelings or anyone on SF.

By the way, I really like your reply. Also, which country do you belong ? I am just curious.
    Consider me as one of your friend on SF. Please feel free to share your problems and feelings. Please do send me a PM whenever you wish to share your feelings.

Best wishes and Take care.