Does anyone know about ECT?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Bambi, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I know the concept of ECT (electroshock therapy) but I don't know anyone that has ever had it.

Has anyone ever had it?

Know someone that has?

I am a my end, I really am so thought that maybe something like ECT would help me. I would appreciate anyone sharing what they know about it...of course if anyone feels more comfortable sharing in private simply send me a PM.
    Thanks all, I am at my end and I want the pain to end.
    Love ya all lots, B
  2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I have heard about this way back when in the 40s and 50s but never in recent times, and I have to admit - am glad you asked about this because I have often wondered if it works or if it has worked for anybody?
    I mean therapy and meds are great, but I often wonder how long... for the rest of my life? Seriously!
    Sounds all too much. But I'll do it if I have to I guess.

I think for a lot of us the pain comes from loneliness and we need to find a way to fix that.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I know of people who have had it and it has worked wonders taking away their depression It takes more than one session for most to work. I knew someone who had 7 sessions then it started to work. The treatment is usually used as a last resort when nothing else seems to work. Also the treatment has advanced alot since the 50 not as depicted in the movies. The procedure is quite gentle. Some people it really works while others not so good. A small sedative given prior to treatment is usually given. Ask you doctor about it It might just be what helps take care
  4. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Further to what Mary said above, it is usually used as a last resort on the NHS it covers:- severe depressive illness, a prolonged or severe episode of mania, or catatonia.

This pdf explains it in full. ECT
  5. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

ECTs may be safer than they used to be, but the basic gyst of them is that they wipe your memory - temporarily. My grandmother had ECTs. The issue is that your memory is still there, and an ECT can cause dissociation. Memories often can return, hence why so many ECTs can be necessary.

ECTs were used famously by Dr. Ewen Cameron (and others) for the famous MK-Ultra experiments.

I'd say do not do this unless you're absolutely desperately at your wits end, and then be extremely cautious about who you trust to do so. Fortunately this is not a favoured "cure" by the psychological community any longer, for the originally stated reasons. I know because before I knew about them I had asked for them, out of desperation and been told what I am telling you now (except the MK-Ultra part, which I learned later on my own). Now we have medications which do the same thing. I seriously suggest if you're looking to numb yourself to use the SSRIs or other medications which have been created for this, instead.

Best of luck!

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It didn't do anything for me but I know people that it has helped. But it could've just been the placebo affect. I met a woman in the hospital who told me she had wanted to feel better for so long she wasn't sure if it was the treatment or her wanting it.
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I always wonder if people who are on medication and desperately want to feel better have this too. Or people in therapy, who desperately need contact and validation and will take anything the therapist says as gospel. I've been guilty of that in the past. Only later did I realise she was talking BS some of the time. :biggrin:

As for ECT- I'd be wary of it. I hear it's much more humane now but it's a risk, just like medication- it could help or it couldn't. I personally wouldn't go near it and thankfully, I'm at no risk of going through it. A woman was going through this in my psych ward , because the treatment offered otherwise is nothing and she couldn't understand how her past effected her so much and everyone around her, the nurses and everything were telling her to 'move on' and using her as a counsellor/friend to unload on (she was on section 3). That's called treatment here. When the antipsychotics don't work for PTSD, they were giving her ECT.

To the OP, have you seen a therapist?
  8. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

An internet pal of mine got ECT this spring, 15 times. It worked but she got memory loss and went very dizzy. ECT was, to her, much better than medication though. Without it, she would not be alive now.
  9. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I actually know nothing about it. I do know one person that got it a couple years ago. he didn't tell me much but he definitley didn't seem the same to me afterwards.
  10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i wonder if the 'positive effect' that ECT has on the brain/mind/soul is similar to what dissociation after traumas is to some people. it can be helpful (memory loss) or to some people, that effect can be frustrating and frightening.

i've heard some people really swear by ECT a few years back, but i wonder how long that lasts. they seem really pleased lets say a month or so afterwards, they feel whatever they've been suffering isn't as extreme, but how long does that last? :dunno:

you just said what i did..

psychiatric wards and medication cause a type of scary-anxious-flitting out of my head- dissociation to me too, that's why it was so dangerous for me to be medicated then when i look back (i used to OD a lot) and why psych wards are a dangerous place for me. i need a small dose of medication more now that i float out of my body less. dissociation is such a huge area and varies in experience, so i suppose some people would like the effects, some people would feel frightened especially if unwanted effects are long term.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  11. physician

physician Well-Known Member

ECT is done today but very rarly..and it is not like in the movies we see it :D :D

and it is the last thing that is done today when everything failed....
  12. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

After a full course of ECT is the memory loss, or some memory loss permanent?
  13. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Bambi, I've had ECT, it was a last resort and I was very reluctant to have it!
    The modern process is very different to how it is portrayed in films such as 'One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest', you are given a short general anaesthetic and wake up very quickly afterwards.
    I had 12 treatments, I began to improve after the seventh and I must say the effect was quite dramatic.
    Antidepressants just did not seem to work for me pre ECT, however post ECT I have been on cymbalta with great results.
    I do have problems with my short term memory, it's been 4 years since my treatment and my short term memory is no better now than immediately after it.
    Would I have it again? Yes if I ever get to the stage where it is necessary.